The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
RomanPylypiv, CKW2024, Karolina, The Western Easter, Davidp1278
6,095 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (ungvar1900, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,459
Posts417,201
Members6,095
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
5 Images
F
St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic, Nesquehoning, PA

Attached are some pictures of St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church, Nesquehoning, PA.

The church has alot of remnants of the latinized interior - I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. It was the product of a former pastor. The elements however would be hard and expensive to remove, yet they do not impede the liturgy itself.

The folks who let me inside were very friendly (what else could I expect from the Coal Region!) and very dedicated to their church and very proud of its beauty.

5 Comments
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Bless, Father Jon,

And thank you, once again. St. Mary's in Nesquehoning has no website and these pictures will serve beautifully for its directory entry.

Despite the latinizations, the temple has a beautiful iconostasis - not a surprise given whose work it was. I'd also have to say that the marble communion rail itself looks to be exquisite in its own right and not nearly as visually intrusive as most such that I've seen.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
J
J Offline
St. Mary's will celebrate its centennial in 2010. It was founded by former parishioners from St. John's in neighboring Lansford. Many vocations from this parish. It suffered through a nasty split in the 1930s over the celibacy decree. The current iconostasis is a restoration of one removed during the Elko era.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
The exterior photo and that of the iconostasis now illustrate St Mary's directory entry. Thanks once again to Father Jon, who holds the record for contributing photos used in the directory.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
R
R Offline
I was raised in this church and it is still beautiful, but you should have seen it back when it still had the full icon screen!!! I loved mass every sunday when it was said in old slavonic !!!

R
R Offline
Is there a date set for this?? I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.