The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo, Narek
6,048 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mickeyb), 704 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,914
Members6,048
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
4 Images
J
JEK Offline OP
Saint John's Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov Slovakia

Saint John's Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov, Slovakia.
11 Comments
F
F
Thankyou for posting the Presov photos. They bring back happy memories. I used to call in at the cathedral and the wonderful shop next door when I was heading back to the railway station for a train back to Kosice. I was only thinking about it the other day - together with the warm bread rolls and black coffee I used to enjoy while I waited for he train during Lent!

Spasi Khrostos - Fr Mark

J
JEK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You are very welcome Father Mark! I was blessed to visit Slovakia once a year for 15 years, I sang in the Cathedral choir many times, it was a beautiful experience! Ah yes, the long warm rolls and black coffee (grounds included), what lovely memories indeed! I always enjoyed walking the street/square the Cathedral was on and looking in the different shop windows and then stopping in at the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Nicholas, the interior architecture was stunning! Presov is a lovely City and has so very much to offer!

F
F
Oh dear, my memory must be going. I can't even remember the Roman Catholic church, not that I ever really paid much attention to Latin rite churches - Spišská Sobota being a notable exception.

I was very fond of the Greek Catholic church in Bardejov

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2174/2193756438_84a463b4ac_z.jpg?zz=1

J
JEK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Dont worry Father Mark, I paid attention to everything as I never knew if it would be my last visit or not (God however blessed me to travel once a year for 15 years there, and Poland and Hungary and twice to Ukraine), the church was built in 1515, its just a walk up the main road past the Greek Catholic Cathedral.

http://www.slovakia.travel/imagegallery.aspx?l=2&smi=108044&io=10646&igo=8370

Great shot of the church in Bardejov (Saints Peter and Paul?)! Thats another fantastic town, been there, done that, got the T Shirt there also grin I enjoyed the square with the RC church (St. Egidius), the museum (and the little cafe that served the most delightful ice cream you could imagine).

The Spa in Bardejov was fantastic also, what grand archtecture!

http://www.slovakia.travel/photo/data/Images/DetailSize/0/bardejov-03_MIK.jpg.jpeg

F
F
Thanks Joy - I can remember the outside of the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Presov, but am drawing a blank when it comes to the inside, so I'll resort to Google.

I also loved the spa at Bardejov, especially when the formal gardens are in full flower. The architectural museum/reserve is wonderful as well.

J
JEK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You are welcome Father Mark, the inteior of the church was glorious, great altar carvings and all, I used to stop in and just sit to take a breather as you know, you do alot of walking in Slovakia.

Bardejov Spa was glorious, not sure the "waters" did me much good (loved those little ceramic cups with the small spicket) but all in all, it was another fantastic experience I was blessed to have.

O
O
Is there a reason why I can't click on the other 3 photos in this group? I feel like I should be able to click on the other thumbnails to make them larger.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by orthodoxsinner2
Is there a reason why I can't click on the other 3 photos in this group? I feel like I should be able to click on the other thumbnails to make them larger.

O.S.,

You are correct. You should be able to do so. The feature hasn't been operative since mid-December, and it's unclear why that is. Unfortunately, John (our Administrator) has been ill virtually since that time and unable to check it out.

He's now on the road to recovery and spent a bit of time checking out the matter on Tuesday, but with no success. He's now in touch with the developers of the forum software, and has asked that they take a look at the issue to isolate the cause and correct it.

So, hopefully, it will soon be fixed.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
B
B
My memories of the RC St Nicholas's Cthedral is the tight steep steps going up to the tower, room for only one person at a time to squeeze through.

J
JEK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Agreed bergschlawiner, just like St. Vitus in Prague, now that is a stairway to heaven and, one person at a time, when you finally made it to the top, you were in need of a very large tank of O2!

How beautiful!

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.