The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fr. Al), 623 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,920
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
The Kyivan Baroque period certainly has its downsides, but I think it should be remembered for the devotional literature it promoted, even if a lot of it was Western and Western-inspired.

St Dmitri of Rostov translated works (as did the Greeks) from the West and into a language that was closer to the popular language of the masses than Slavonic was.

St Tikhon of Zadonsk promoted the reading of Scripture, frequent Communion and meditation on the Passion of Christ - he had, as you know, life-size images of a form of the Way of the Cross in his cell.

It was a time when the standard measurement of what was "good" was the Western academic/cultural model.

The Orthodox Church at that time gave a good accounting of itself and showed it could run with the best of them!

And Saint Arsenius Matsievich, Metropolitan of Rostov and Hieromartyr (glorified in 2000 with the New Martyrs and Confessors) was quite the intellectual and educated in Kyiv. He was also tonsured in the Kyivan Caves Lavra and promoted the veneration of his predecessor, St Dmitri of Rostov. He was a former Uniate too . . .

He was a victim of the Protestantizing policies of the Russian court, including the efforts of the then Tsaritsa to take full control over the Church - the Kyivan tradition, rather than the Muscovite tradition, opposed such secular control over the church strenuously (St Dmitri of Rostov and St Paissy Velichkovsky, for example, preached many sermons to the rich and great to give of their resources to help the poor etc.)

Alex
On reflection I think you're right, and I hadn't really thought through my statment that this wasn't a high point. There were problems, but there were before and there were after. St. Dmitri of Rostov and St. Tikhon of Zadonsk are among my favorites (along with St. Seraphim, St. Herman of Alaska and St. Innocent). Whatever academic principles may have entered the church the spirituality of the period still reflects the best of Orthodoxy.

Three cheers to the Kyivan Baroque!

Dear Rilian,

These are the Saints of that period that I can recall:

St Dmitri Rostovsky,
St Arsenius Rostovsky
St Peter Mohyla
St John Maximovych of Tobolsk
St Paul of Tobolsk
St Joasaph of Bilhorod
St Innocent Kulchitsky
St Tikhon Zadonsky
St Theophil Leschynsky Apostle of Siberia

And others, I'm sure!

Alex

A
AMM Offline
A
St. Job of Pochaev.

Dear Rilian,

Yes, indeed - but St Job appears to have been more "Eastern" than the others, although certainly he belongs to that time period.

And he would most certainly have been wary of Latinizations - given his experience of overt persecution by the RC's!

Somewhere I've an article about the Orthodox Brotherhoods of the Immaculate Conception . . .

Yes, you read right!

These brotherhoods were modeled on those of the West and took the "bloody vow" ie. to defend to the death the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God.

They wore a medal that is similar to the "Miraculous Medal" that is popular today. They honoured an icon that was similar as well (called the "Immaculate Virgin" and listed as a local, miraculous icon by Professor Poselianin in his "Bogomater").

And they prayed the prayer that was a form of the "Panaghia" prayer: Most Holy and Immaculate Mother of God, save us!

The Rosary, the Little Office of the Virgin Mary, the Scapular and the 15 Prayers of St Brigitte - these were all translated into Slavonic at Venice in the 18th century and were widely used by Orthodox Christians!

There is a site on the internet that has these translations.

Alex

A
AMM Offline
A
I love the tale of the five prayers.

Dear AMM,

Yes, and, as you know, that is a version of the Rosary of the Joys and Sorrows of the Mother of God that was prevalent in Paris in the 16th century.

St Dmitri received much spiritual material from the West for his monumental work on the Lives of the Saints and picked up many devotions that were popular in Paris.

He himself belonged to a "Brotherhood of the Immaculate Conception" and was actually "called on the carpet" by the Russian Synod to explain himself.

This is noted in Met. Ilarion Ohienko's book on St Dmitri.

Alex

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.