The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JeffR, Billie, isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC
6,051 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (San Nicolas, Mickeyb, jjp), 626 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,928
Members6,051
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
#170131 12/28/04 03:31 AM

#170132 12/28/04 03:34 AM
Whoops. That avatar was way tooo big. I'm going to have to figure out how to reduce its size. (Any suggestions out there?)

And I've even lost track of what I was going to post here in the first place.

Sorry for the interruption.

#170133 12/28/04 04:53 AM
H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
THANKS!

I needed a good laugh smile

#170134 12/28/04 05:06 AM
B
B
Originally posted by Pentha Tria:
Whoops. That avatar was way tooo big. I'm going to have to figure out how to reduce its size. (Any suggestions out there?)

And I've even lost track of what I was going to post here in the first place.

Sorry for the interruption.
ROFL biggrin I thought only us old folks did stuff like that. LOL.

#170135 12/28/04 02:50 PM
Dear Friends,

Well, it's not over until the big avatar sings . . .

Yanukovych is refusing to concede and it looks like the Supreme Court will again be called upon to formally declare who is the winner and the (sore) loser.

Perhaps the new administration under President Yuschenko can declare a law that prevents people with criminal records, like Yanukovych, from ever seeking presidential office in future?

And perhaps the Russian Orthodox Church and its satellite, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate can learn a final lesson about being so subservient to the state and Russian chauvinist nationalism - and stop approving criminals like Yanukovych only because his is a pro-Russian imperialist platform?

The Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine (aka the UOC-MP) has really put its foot in it this time.

"Canonical Orthodoxy?" It can keep its canonicity. And its blind caesaro-papist following of the almighty state.

My own view is that, in future, Ukrainians should try and stay as far away from such "Orthodoxy" as possible.

Alex

#170136 12/28/04 04:03 PM
L
L
I believe that in the next couple of months we will be observing a kind of metamorphosis in Ukrainian Orthodoxy. We really do not need to have a crystal ball to say what will happen to the UOC-MP in the near future. They were already losing ground, although in a slow pace since the day of independence of Ukraine. True Ukrainian Orthodoxy must now unite. This is the will of the people, this will has been seen, heard and now must be done. I also believe that in 2005 we will see much comotion in reference to the Ukie Greek Catholic Patriarchate issue and maybe its recognition. It would be interesting to see the recognition done firstly by the Ukrainian government and being so the Vatican would just have to recognize it, like it or not. That would be really cool. What do you guys say?
Lauro

#170137 12/28/04 05:40 PM
H
H
I certainly don't know enough about this situation to make any strong predictions, but I have a hunch or two and maybe a comment.

I think there will always be a core group of UOC-MP in Ukraine because of the large number of ethnic Russians in the country, if the Moskva-Ukrainians begin to assimilate into Ukrainian culture that could change things, but I doubt it due to the proximity of Russia; and the accessibility of Russian media will work against that.

I also believe that there will be a conglomeration of the Orthodox churches in Ukraine, although how soon I couldn't say. It could quickly become very large if it continues to draw some congregations and priests from the UOC-MP. This will be the body whose Metroplitan receives recognition as a Patriarchate from the government, and later across the globe.

If the UGCC does not participate in some way with this newly reconstituted Ukrainian church it will be marginalized. I suppose that it is not likely that the government would start regarding the Ukrainian Catholic Metropolitan as a Patriarch as well. If it falls out in that way the moment would be lost.

If the UGCC metropolitan ever does acquire recognition from Rome as a Patriarch but only after the other theoretical Patriarchate acquires some international and inter-Patriarchal recognition he will look like an also-ran and not have as much credibility.

Any way, that's how I see it today.

Michael

#170138 12/28/04 07:28 PM
W
Layperson
Layperson
W
The vatican should recognise the Slavic Byzantine Patriach and stop being so inert.
The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church should stop being a minority by own choice.Everyone that is in power is looking for minorities to kick around.
Sory to say. I got the impression that the Popes Mum religion was on the backfoot of a Polish/priest/bishop/pope.
A "Slavic Byzantine Patriarch" would give a uplift to all the people of the east not only the Ukrainians. It would give Yushenko a status that is missing.
This time the Holy Father could honor the memory of his mother. Not doing so wil let him die with the biggest blunder of his life.
SEND YELLOW RIBBONS TO THE VATICAN. The People have spoken!!!
Please get out of that minority status you all so love. I know you miss the many reasons to cry. So what. Uplift yourself, it is in your own hands.

Wilhelm.

#170139 12/28/04 07:31 PM
W
Layperson
Layperson
W
Sory

Send ORANGE ribbons to the vatican.

Will

#170140 12/28/04 08:26 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
Dear Friends,

Well, it's not over until the big avatar sings . . .

Yanukovych is refusing to concede and it looks like the Supreme Court will again be called upon to formally declare who is the winner and the (sore) loser.

Perhaps the new administration under President Yuschenko can declare a law that prevents people with criminal records, like Yanukovych, from ever seeking presidential office in future?

And perhaps the Russian Orthodox Church and its satellite, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate can learn a final lesson about being so subservient to the state and Russian chauvinist nationalism - and stop approving criminals like Yanukovych only because his is a pro-Russian imperialist platform?

The Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine (aka the UOC-MP) has really put its foot in it this time.

"Canonical Orthodoxy?" It can keep its canonicity. And its blind caesaro-papist following of the almighty state.

My own view is that, in future, Ukrainians should try and stay as far away from such "Orthodoxy" as possible.

Alex
Indeed Alex - and please forgive my tardy reply to your post

You said
here we go again - the result is close - but it's not the way that Yanukovych wanted it - the people have chosen Yuschenko - but 'our hero' :sarcasm: coming from the Russian leaning areas of Ukraine as he does feels that conceding is showing weakness - so he's not going to give in. He's even shouting fraud , irregularities etc etc. Funny - he was willing to accept flawed results before.

You also said
Yeah - well 'twould be rather nice shocked but I think we have a snag here - all the papers that were about Yanukovych have errrrr vanished - those that went to Russia are now no longer in existence - so they can't be produced - and after all his record was expunged . No record - well can't really say that he has a criminal record can we ?

And as befits a non Ukie RC [ oops sorry - I meant latin biggrin ] I'm staying out of any argument over UGCC and ROC-MP and UOC-KP - I don't know enough

Anhelyna

#170141 12/28/04 11:22 PM
A
A
A brief aside

Coalesco wrote: "I think there will always be a core group of UOC-MP in Ukraine because of the large number of ethnic Russians in the country..."

These Ukrainian allophones made up some 20% of the population of Ukraine about a dozen years ago. There are now about 17.4% of such Ukrainian citizens left in Ukraine today.

The reasons for this dropping trend are complex--I personally suspect that many moved out of the country, with their Ukrainian husbands, to California.

Anthrodox

Antrodox

"Phyletism is heritical only to those ethnics in the majority."
#170142 12/29/04 12:15 AM
T
T
Originally posted by Antrodox:
These Ukrainian allophones made up some 20% of the population of Ukraine about a dozen years ago. There are now about 17.4% of such Ukrainian citizens left in Ukraine today.

The reasons for this dropping trend are complex--I personally suspect that many moved out of the country, with their Ukrainian husbands, to California.

Anthrodox
Or Canada! wink

Tammy

#170143 12/31/04 06:51 PM
A
A
smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

Yanukovich has resigned as Prime Minister of Ukraine.

Antrodox

"Phyletism is heritical only to those ethnics in the majority."
#170144 12/31/04 07:22 PM
According to CNN, it is official: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/12/31/ukraine.vote.ap/

I had some horilka last night to celebrate Yushchenko's victory. I guess I'll just have to have some more tonight. smile biggrin

Разом нас багато!!!

#170145 12/31/04 07:36 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Originally posted by Diak:
According to CNN, it is official: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/12/31/ukraine.vote.ap/

I had some horilka last night to celebrate Yushchenko's victory. I guess I'll just have to have some more tonight. smile biggrin

Разом нас багато!!!
Great night to celebrate Diak - and I missed the announcement - I was in the kitchen and missed it.

This is really the dawn of a new era for Ukraine

Anhelyna

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.