The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 585 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,920
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Sep. 21, 2007 (CWNews.com) - Prime Minister Aleksandr Kosinets of Belarus has announced that all foreign Catholic priests may be required to leave the country.

The original article states "may" be required to leave the country.
Has anyone checked the local Belarussian online newspapers to verify this at all?
Good for the moderators here.

If only foreign Catholic priests may be expelled, then local Catholic priests will remain. What will happen to them?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Miller
Sep. 21, 2007 (CWNews.com) - Prime Minister Aleksandr Kosinets of Belarus has announced that all foreign Catholic priests may be required to leave the country.

The original article states "may" be required to leave the country.
Has anyone checked the local Belarussian online newspapers to verify this at all?
Good for the moderators here.

Even to suggest it seems a little outrageous. Time will be needed to see how this plays out. But while they (Bel. gov't officials) are "dipping their toes in the water" contemplating this, let it not be said that our silence assumed assent... I would be a dollar no one over there who will be making the decision reads this blog, but get the word out, and let the chips fall where they may...

In the mean time, a lot of prayer and a little righteous indignation from the world community at the mere idea of a pretty obvious attempt to suppress the Catholic Faith of Catholic people, seems warranted.

A
A
The fact remains that the Orthodox Church continues to pursue a policy of unfairness: establish Orthodox Churches in Catholic countries, but scream bloody murder when Catholics try to tend to their own flock in Orthodox countries.

For me the greatest argument against Orthodoxy is its plain and simple lack of fairness and charity. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what I see.

A
A
No use having all those holy monks and all those magnificent liturgies when charity is lacking!

A
A
Seriously, why won't we Catholics just withdraw all the money we are giving to the Moscow Patriarchate? It is no secret that Moscow needs Catholic aid, especially that which is provided by Aid to the Church in Need.

Some might say that that would be to reply in kind. For me, such withdrawal would be plain and simple justice. Nothing compels us Catholics to fund the very people who want to do us injustices.

J
J
Originally Posted by asianpilgrim
The fact remains that the Orthodox Church continues to pursue a policy of unfairness: establish Orthodox Churches in Catholic countries, but scream bloody murder when Catholics try to tend to their own flock in Orthodox countries.

For me the greatest argument against Orthodoxy is its plain and simple lack of fairness and charity. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what I see.

Perhaps there shouldn't be any catholic or orthodox countries. The idea that one Church has "turf" so to speak is absurd. There are advantages to living in a secular society where there is a seperation of church and state.

Joe

Last edited by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy; 10/02/07 12:19 PM.
J
J
Seriously, why won't we Catholics just withdraw all the money we are giving to the Moscow Patriarchate? It is no secret that Moscow needs Catholic aid, especially that which is provided by Aid to the Church in Need.

Some might say that that would be to reply in kind. For me, such withdrawal would be plain and simple justice. Nothing compels us Catholics to fund the very people who want to do us injustices.

Or perhaps the Churches should all mind their own business and we should work toward a world where government is secular and where all people have the right to freedom of religion. Perhaps, the problem is that the Churches are still trying to hang on to Christendom. The Holy Roman and Byzantine empires are gone forever. It is time to move on.

Joe

M
M
I like Joe's reply above. A good solution.

Even to suggest it seems a little outrageous. Time will be needed to see how this plays out. But while they (Bel. gov't officials) are "dipping their toes in the water" contemplating this, let it not be said that our silence assumed assent... I would be a dollar no one over there who will be making the decision reads this blog, but get the word out, and let the chips fall where they may...
Do we have any proof from Belarussian sources at all that the Belarussian government is contemplating this? This is all just speculation and gossip.
And to what end?

"For me the greatest argument against Orthodoxy is its plain and simple lack of fairness and charity. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what I see."

Perceptions of justice are often debatable.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Miller
I like Joe's reply above. A good solution.

Do we have any proof from Belarussian sources at all that the Belarussian government is contemplating this? This is all just speculation and gossip.
And to what end?

I don't categorize news articles as gossip, and news on these issues from that part of the world in English can be scarce to be sure... A good rule of thumb is news about countries (most) Americans can't find on an unmarked map is going to be frequently not terribly in depth and generally limited to news agencies that focus on matters of importance to certain groups or in specialized matters. This is no different.

different article [bosnewslife.com]

According to a 19 September Interfax report of the meeting, Kosinets said: �We are in favour of religious personnel in our republic being natives of Belarus (..) people may not conduct religious activity if they do not know either Belarusian or Russian, or the mindset and customs of Belarus (..) it is pleasing that we have the understanding of the Roman Catholic Church on this issue (..) there should be a substitution of foreign religious personnel by natives of Belarus in the course of the next seven years.�

The Catholic who requested anonymity told Forum 18 that adding to the Church�s questions was the fact that Kosinets has already made remarks which �intrude into the life of the Church�. �The Vice-premier said earlier that six or seven years� seminary training is too long and that the bishops should reduce this,� the Catholic noted. �Of course the bishops will not do this. The preparation and formation of priests belongs to the specific domain of religious denominations.� source [chinaaid.org]

United States State Department Rerport on Relig. Freedom in Belarus [state.gov]

How might we go about researching this one better? Any suggestions?

If you know any knowledgeable churchmen in Belarus, a few phone calls or e-mails could answer questions. Maybe a Belarus-focused Catholic/Orthodox blog?

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Seriously, why won't we Catholics just withdraw all the money we are giving to the Moscow Patriarchate? ... For me, such withdrawal would be plain and simple justice. Nothing compels us Catholics to fund the very people who want to do us injustices.
Are we not perhaps being faithful to Our Lord's own injunctions?
"Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you." (Mt.5:42-44)

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.