The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 588 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
F
It's amazing what one learns on the Forum!

U
U
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Dear Monomakh - the RDL is a brilliant success in Molvania.

Fr. Serge

When in Molvania, do as the Molvanians do. Is Molvania on the Baltic, next to Lutonia??

Ung

T
T
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez

Fr. Serge

When in Molvania, do as the Molvanians do. Is Molvania on the Baltic, next to Lutonia??

Ung

I think you are mistaken.

I think Molvania is next to Neutronia, the home of the Ecclessial Neutron Bomb. laugh

Some believe that the glow in the sky is the work of the Holy Spirit ... laugh

... some believe otherwise. laugh

U
U
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez

Fr. Serge

Ung

The two most famous Lutonians, the Schmenge Brothers grin

Ung

Last edited by Ung-Certez; 12/03/08 02:13 PM.
M
M
All I want to know is why in world the full Rescension is forbidden?

Why not let a church or churches use it? I said before that a place like Holy Ghost in Cleveland that gets 5-10 people on a Sunday couldn't do any worse. Why not let them have a full liturgical schedule (Vespers, Matins, Full Liturgy)? Is the 5-10 people turning into 20-30, etc. the real worry? Is the success that comes with the full liturgy in the few parishes where it has at least been somewhat attempted a fear?

Monomakh

I am a refugee from the Latin Rite which has many more liturgical problems than can ever be listed by someone as ignorant as myself. I can appreciate the intense feelings and knowledgeable insights which many of you provided to the "One Year and One Day" post. However all your views on the "proper" Divine Liturgy seem to pick out different rocks in a stream to stand on. The rocks actually make a path by which we can journey to the Kingdom through the Divine Liturgy. (Please indulge me the use of rocks as a general, not specific, metaphor.)

Because my wife and I started to attend after Easter, 2007, we started with the blue books and proceeded to the green books. We are thrilled to be part of a liturgical practice which has its origins with Holy Fathers Basil and John Chrysostom.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, consider yourselves fortunate that your beloved Divine Liturgy has not been conformed to emulate Protestant rites (Novus Ordo) and guided by a closeted Freemason (Bugnini).

My beloved and departed mother was Greek Catholic, and although she attended the Latin Rite with my father, her heart was always in St. Mary's in Johnstown from which she was buried.

Each Sunday, and during the week when possible, our hearts are lifted by the Divine Liturgy. May your hearts be also lifted by our Lord, Jesus Christ, who gave us the wonderful gift of Himself through His Apostles.

B
B
Originally Posted by Father David
I bring this up because the Intereparchial Liturgy Commission will be meeting in July. I am certain that many of the objections - from both sides, that the 2007 translation is too �modern� or that it is too �Orthodox� will be brought up. I will mention some of the points made on the Forum, but there has been a widespread critique of the �rubrics,� but this has never been spelled out in any detail. In short, I would like to know what the Forum means when it uses the word �rubric.� Are you referring to the Litanies or Antiphons, which I would not call rubrics but liturgical structure, or are you referring to something else?

Reading this thread has been most instructive. I'm wondering if these questions were brought up to the Liturgical Commission, and what the result was?

My own experience of the RDL has been more negative than positive. I suppose that differing groups my find one thing they might like better, but whatever that thing maybe I can't see justyifying the time, cost, and hard feelings that resulted from this endeavor. Indeed, the Church would have benefited more if it had used these resources an attempt to keep the youth in the church.

Regarding the RDL: I am not a fan of the inclusive language, and think it is a result of wanting to cater to the culture. I believe, however, that the Church should be counter-cultural. I don't know enough about music to offer a critque of the new music, nor did I see a reason that it had to change. I'm not sure why we wanted to shorten the liturgy either. We, as a people, need to pray more, not less, the Church should be forward that ideal rather than the opposite one of doing the minimium. Did I read correctly that the Ukrainian Catholic Church is looking at a revision, that will be more traditional?

I know that this thread is a bit dated, but if anyone what the commission said in July, if anything, I would be interested in what they said.

Did I read correctly that the Ukrainian Catholic Church is looking at a revision, that will be more traditional?

The UGCC Synodal Liturgikon allows essentially the full celebration of the Divine Liturgy according to the Ordo and contains all of the common Divine Liturgy texts necessary to do so - all of the antiphons, Litanies, priest's prayers, etc.

There will likely be no Synod-wide revision in the near future, as the 1988 English version is just now becoming standard, and Patriarch Lubmomyr made it clear he wants the Anthology, the accompanying prayer and pew book for the Divine Liturgy that relies on the Synodal Liturgikon text, to receive wider use in English.

The Synod has declared the Ordo from Rome to be obligatory for the entire UGCC on several occasions, most recently reaffirming this in 2007.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.