The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (theophan, Fr. Al), 553 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,919
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
Actually, my remaining relatives on this earth are all reasonably sane. But then, I was born in 1942 and I don't have that many remaining relatives on this earth. I could tell you some amusing stories (at least they're amusing now, although they weren't at the time) about those who are no longer with us!

Fr. Serge

Thank you Fr. Serge for an intelligent analysis.

Sadly, Metropolitan Paul's letter highlights the difficulty of unity of Orthodox and Catholics. I don't think that he thought about union well enough to realize that the Greek Catholic Church would no longer be justified being separate and would (should?) dissolve away into the local Orthodox Church. This should provide incentive for him to promote unity.

Talks alone will not bridge the gap unless they are prepared and facilitated by the Holy Spirit. What seems impossible...it possible with God.

We just have to allow ourselves to be guided by Him. My humble belief is that the Holy Orthodox Churches themselves have to come to a much closer unity before discussion can become serious.

Let us pray for a New Pentecost.

Fr Deacon Paul

Online Content
ALICE:

Christ is in our midst!! He is and always will be!!

With tongue in cheek, I once remarked to my spiritual father that when he walked into a room people said, "Blessed is he that comes in the Name of the Lord." And when I walk into a room they say, "Oh God, here he comes." laugh laugh

BOB

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by theophan
If each of us delves into our family tree, we all have an "Uncle Igor" or "Aunt Hilda" that we don't speak of because he or she is an embarrassment in public

Bob,

You knew "Aunt" Hildegarde, may her memory be eternal? (My Mom's cousin actually, but we called her "aunt" in deference to her age - and her myriad eccentricities crazy )

Seriously though, great post!

Many years,

Neil (think Uncle Igor may have been her third hubby confused )

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Alice I have thick skin and can counter just as well as I can take it. You should have been present at the table where I sat next to the Western Bishop of the OCA, I held my ground, nor was I rude in return.
Even aslo with the extreme group of Orthodox from Mt Etna.
I was dilightful surprised that the Bishop thought I was Orthodox he could tell the difference until I told him.
I prayed all the prayes made all the metanoia and crossed myself at all the right times, I even chanter the responses and hymns.
Affectionately yours.
Stephanos I
PS Found some wonderful Icons of S Anthony of Padua the Wonderworker while I was in Italy last week. Think I would love to post some on the web if I can figure it out.

Last edited by Stephanos I; 11/30/08 11:33 PM.
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
The Metropolitan's question to the contrary, historically, there have been relatively few Eastern or Oriental Catholic hierarchs invited to participate in the higher level inter-Church dialogues involving the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, although that has changed somewhat in recent years. The thinking, it would seem, was that Orthodox antipathy toward the EC/OC made their presence more of a stumbling block than an advantage.
Or it could be a Vatican concern that a few more Archbishop Zoghbys could appear at such meetings from among the Eastern Churches' bishops? grin

Bless, Father Hieromonk!

You certainly do put a new (and quite legitimage) twist to this whole subject!

We EC's have always assumed that Rome keeps us in the shadowy background during ecumenical discussions with the Orthodox because of the perception that the Orthodox will be upset by our very presence. And certainly the EP has gone on record as saying the same.

I don't see anywhere near the same antipathy toward EC's emanating from the Russian Orthodox Church, however. The Patriarch of Moscow, His Holiness Patriarch Alexei (+ memory eternal) even awarded Russian Catholics for their scholarly work on a number of occasions.

And when Rome learns that our Patriarch Lubomyr describes our union with Rome as a "Eucharistic communion" - that can't go down well with Roman bureaucrats. They used to be miffed at our use of the title "Patriarch" for Cardinal Husar and now they appear to be nervous about all this "in communion" talk!

For my part, I say "Many Years" to the Zoghby Initiative and many years to you!

Kissing your right hand, I again implore your blessing,

Alex

H
H
don't see anywhere near the same antipathy toward EC's emanating from the Russian Orthodox Church, however. The Patriarch of Moscow, His Holiness Patriarch Alexei (+ memory eternal) even awarded Russian Catholics for their scholarly work on a number of occasions.

Let me get this right: you are saying that the Russian Orthodox do not object to the Ukrainian Catholics?

F
F
As an example of Rome's amazing patience in pursuing her goals: they have still not forgotten Illyricum!

Fr. Serge

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.