The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
RenewedThreads, Singed, Cullen G, Gnostic Fellowship, NinevehNinja92
6,037 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (San Nicolas, MalpanaGiwargis), 927 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,410
Posts416,879
Members6,037
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
OP Offline
L
Hi all.

I am new poster to this forum, and I am not even sure if this is the right place for this question. I am a Catholic of the Roman Rite, but feel drawn by the little that I know to the Byzantine Rite. I have some reading material, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions or websites that will help me understand the "nuts and bolts" of Eastern thought and theology, esp in ways that differ from the Western understanding. I am pretty well versed in the way that the West looks at things, so suggestions for easily accessible and not so easily accessible materials would be appreciated. I have found an Eastern Rite parish near me, and have attended many a Divine Liturgy, and have tried somewhat to live as a Byzantine (eg, trying to keep the minimal Dormation Fast, attend Mass on Eastern Holy Days that are not celebrated as Days of Obligation in the West).

As for the vocation, I may be called to the priesthood as well, and am pulled in different directions in the call of the East (with the time involved) and the call of the vocation. Is it even reasonable to try to balance both?

Anyway, thanks for reading, and any insight that you can provide would be welcome.

As for the vocation, I may be called to the priesthood as well . . .

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum.

Hate to break your bubble your first post, but your move is exactly what Rome would be pressing Byzantine bishops not to allow. In other words, if you're baptised into the Latin Church in the United States and have no family or other connection to the Eastern Churches, you will have next to an impossible task to get from where you are now to being an Eastern Catholic priest. You might bring this up with the priest in the parish you are attending, but I'd be willing to place a small bet that he'll tell you the same thing.

In Christ,

BOB

B
B
Originally Posted by theophan
Hate to break your bubble your first post, but your move is exactly what Rome would be pressing Byzantine bishops not to allow. In other words, if you're baptised into the Latin Church in the United States and have no family or other connection to the Eastern Churches, you will have next to an impossible task to get from where you are now to being an Eastern Catholic priest. You might bring this up with the priest in the parish you are attending, but I'd be willing to place a small bet that he'll tell you the same thing.

Difficult, perhaps, but not impossible. I know of at least one priest, ordained within the last 3 years, who did just that. It wasn't an easy path and it slowed his journey to the priesthood considerably, but it can be done.

Welcome to the Forum!

Elizabeth

B
B
By the way, where in California are you located? I tried to PM, but it said you were over your limit.

Elizabeth

L
OP Offline
L
Newbury Park, near Thousand Oaks.

Since I am new, they haven't turned on the PM yet.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the insight. I am in the midst of trying to figure out the jumble that is in my head about this, and the draw of the East may or may not end up with a vocation. I hate to close any doors when there is no certainty of either path being right, whether alone or in combination.

I still feel that I should explore the East. Can you recommend any good materials for that?

Thanks.

To start with, are you attending an Eastern parish? Two near you would be:

Byzantine Catholic Cathedral of St Mary in Sherman Oaks, California [en.wikipedia.org]

An Orthodox parish near you would be:

St Herman's Orthodox Church in Oxnard, California [oca.org]

(I don't know your area that well, so I listed both in case the first one is not really feasible. The Oxnard parish is not in union with Rome, but attending it might help your understanding of the Christian East.)

The Deacon at this parish is an old friend of mine, so if you stop in, tell him I said hi!

(There may be more Eastern Catholic parishes near you. Perhaps other posters could post locations?)

Some good online materials on the Eastern Church:

The Orthodox Faith by Fr. Hopko [oca.org]

The Byzantine Spirituality Page [rumkatkilise.org]

Byzantine Catholic Prayer For the Home [archive.org]
(Best downloaded in PDF format)

Last edited by DTBrown; 10/03/09 11:51 PM.
Hello Lech Lecha,

I tried to PM you about your vocation. I'm suggest you travel to Holy Resurrection Monastery, which is near Palmdale. I'm sure Fr. Abbot Nicholas and Fr. Maximos and the other fathers would be a great wealth of information for you on the Christian East, your vocation, and what the next step for you would be.

Here is their website and also the email address. Trust me, going there will be very spiritually rewarding. I thank God for allowing me to have the blessing to stay there. It has helped me deepen my faith, and understanding of Eastern Catholicism and the spiritual life.

monks@hrmonline.org
www.hrmonline.org [hrmonline.org]

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 10/06/09 01:56 AM.
L
L
Originally Posted by Lech Lecha
I am new poster to this forum,
Welcome!

I have some reading material, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions or websites that will help me understand the "nuts and bolts" of Eastern thought and theology,

I think all the interviews Catherine Alexander did with the monks of Holy Resurrection Monastery on YourWordFromTheWise [youtube.com] are excellent. I keep going back and listening to them again. If you click on the "more info" tab you can see listed all the questions she asks in that interview.

Eastern Christian Media [easternchristianmedia.com] also has some good basic videos.
Orientale Lumen TeleVision [oltv.tv] has video of many wonderful talks.
Ancient Faith Radio [ancientfaith.com] has many good programs.
I really like Fr. Loya's Theology of the Body DVDs. This is a teeny look [youtube.com] at how he approaches that teaching. I just finished watching a 6 DVD TOB series from a retreat he did for EC priests that was great. His weekly radio show [byzantinecatholic.com] is archived.

have found an Eastern Rite parish near me, and have attended many a Divine Liturgy, and have tried somewhat to live as a Byzantine (eg, trying to keep the minimal Dormation Fast, attend Mass on Eastern Holy Days that are not celebrated as Days of Obligation in the West).

The best catechesis is the Liturgy itself. The Feast Days are such a rich part of the Church. There are four complete, wonderful talks from the Orientale Lumen Conference XII 2008 on the theme "Feast Days of the Eastern Church" [oltv.tv].

For a pleasure-to-read book I really like Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God [amazon.com].

Anyway, thanks for reading, and any insight that you can provide would be welcome.

Last edited by likethethief; 10/06/09 07:23 AM.
L
L
Also, you might look at the Society of Saint John Chrysostom, Southern California Chapter Newsletter [ssjc.org]. You can ask to be put on the SSJC SoCA email list.

Newbury Park, near Thousand Oaks.

Since I am new, they haven't turned on the PM yet.

Goodness! A local!

Welcome to the forum!

I live in Dos Vientos, but attend to both St. Jude and St. Paschal.

I am in the Diaconate Formation Program (the L.A. Program, my former pastor didn't want to have anything to do with the Santa Barbara Program).

Would you be interested in getting together for lunch or coffee one of these days? Do you work near the area? Any I asking too many questions? Really? smile

Let's pray for each other.

Shalom,
Memo

L
OP Offline
L
Wow - thanks for all of the great resources and insights. I appreciate your willingness to help keep me in my book habit. :grin:

As I look back over the posts for the past several days, I am struck by all of the thoughtfulness that comes through. Here I am, someone that you don't know from Adam, and I am being showered with all these great resources and advice.

I haven't been able to figure out how to quote someone yet, but:

Nelson - thanks for the tip on the monks in Palmdale. Theirs seems a site worth exploring.

DTBrown - St Mary's is about 30 minutes (on Sunday morning) from the house. It is a good (and reachable) parish. Almost all of my Eastern liturgical experience has been there.

likeathief - mmmmm...cool and interesting videos <<insert Homer Simpson drool here>>

memo - Goodness! Another Local! :) I attend St Julie's, and am up for coffee and/or lunch to chat. I work in NP. I don't think that my PM will work for about another 3 weeks, but I am swamped at work till then anyway. :)

Once I get on topic, I can devor it to great ends, so if anyone knows of any more resources, please keep them coming.

Thanks to all

Lech Lecha

Lecha Lecha:

To quote:

1. Hit your reply button.
2. Go to the quotation marks in the tool bar.
3. Cut and past the quote between the quotation marks.
4. You're done.

BOB

memo - Goodness! Another Local! smile I attend St Julie's, and am up for coffee and/or lunch to chat. I work in NP. I don't think that my PM will work for about another 3 weeks, but I am swamped at work till then anyway. smile

My email is: memorodriguez@usa.net

Contact me at your convenience.

Thanks.

Shalom,
Memo

F
F
Lech Lecha,
It is very possible to change rites and to start a vocational discernment in the Byzantine Church. A friend of mine just did this not long ago. He will start Seminary in January 2010.
Do not let people tell you it`s an impossible thing to do. Nothing is impossible to God, while some people are putting fences, God will guide you and give strenght to do His will.
Francois

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.