The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 588 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Has anyone else heard of this church? http://www.rbsocc.org/index.html What's the deal here? Are they canonical?

God bless and keep you....

Administrator
Administrator
A quick answer to your last question, NO! They are off-shoot of a group that was started by a deposed hierarch.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Ah, I see! Thank you Father Anthony.

God bless and keep you....

I know this has been an inactive thread for quite a while now, but I just happened to read an article [msnbc.msn.com] about this group today.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Ed,

Thanks for posting that link. I saw it yesterday and intended to, but forgot. They are certainly a busy group and their travels definitely give meaning to the term vagante.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
Since so many of us are up north frown
They sure do make themselves look good. Maybe this is all a mistake.

monks ? [msnbc.msn.com]

I mentioned this article in the thread regarding their "Church," that has been inactive for some time, expecting there to be great discussion, but I guess everybody is just tired talking about them.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Impressive bookstore

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
A
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Since so many of us are up north frown
They sure do make themselves look good. Maybe this is all a mistake.

Many vagante LOOK great... but as often as not, looks are deceiving.

And these guys' founder was a priest... who ordained him to the episcopacy?

And given the Cyprianic view prevalent in Orthodoxy, it doesn't matter unless the ordaining bishop is canonical.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by aramis
And these guys' founder was a priest... who ordained him to the episcopacy?

aramis,

Depends on which one of them you're asking about.

They trace one line back to Archbishop Joseph Rene Vilatte, but they do have a better line - and it's the one upon which they accordingly most rely.

John Skureth was an Antiochian priest, who left the canonical church and was ordained to the episcopacy by Bishop William Henry Francis Brothers (of the Vilatte Line). At some subsequent point, Skureth apparently came to realize that not everyone saw that line as efficacious and he sought, and reportedly obtained, episcopal ordination by Archbishop John Wendland, then Exarch of the Aleutians & North America for the Russian Church.

Curiously, if the date and event are legitimately reported, Archbishop Wendland ordained 2 bishops that day - the other being Dositheus Ivanchenko, who would be his assistant during his relatively brief tenure (65-70, I think) as Exarch. The story of Skureth's episcopal ordination has Bishop Ivanchenko being his co-consecrator - which raises some question in my mind as to the veracity of the tale. No reference anywhere, of which I'm aware, as to who the second co-consecrator might have been. But, on the other hand, I've also never seen reference as to Ivanchecko's co-cosecrators either - and the names of co-consecrators can often only be found on the paperwork and in the memories of those in attendence.

Anyway, Skureth, if ordained by Wendland, probably had validity at that point, but it was short-lived. He later ordained a Joseph Sokolowski to the episcopacy. Sokolowski spent years heading up a 'Orthodox-Catholic diocese' in Indiana, that went by several different names over time. (Both he and Skureth spent years in Indiana, where they pretty much had the vagante episcopi market cornered).

Sokolowski consecrated a few 'bishops', most of whom faded into oblivion over time - the notable exception being Stephen Thomas - the Metropolitan of the group we're discussing. Thomas had been a GO priest, although his history there seems to be a matter of some embarrassment, because no one seems sure how he managed to get himself ordained to the presbyterate - there has been some question as to when, where, and if he attended seminary.

Stephen has contributed significantly to vagante lines, having ordained any number of hierarchs (before his recent reclusiveness), the majority of whom he would now declare to be 'deposed', 'schismatic', or 'heretical'. A few of them can be found in other 'Churches' - others have disappeared from the active vagante scene - at least for now.

Many years,

Neil

S
S
Neil,

Sometimes you are scary.

F
F
Joseph Skureth was not ordained to the episcopate by any hierarch of the Moscow Patriarchate (nor, indeed, by any canonical Orthodox hierarch). He was indeed ordained a priest, first by William Henry Francis Brothers while they were both "Old Catholics" and later they were both - separately - ordained to the Orthodox priesthood by Bishop Dositheus (in the contact of what was expected to be a "union" of the Old Catholics with the Moscow Patriarchate, which never materialized).

In the later nineteen-fifties, Dositheus himself was elected Bishop by the Moscow Patriarchate and, at Moscow's request, was ordained to the episcopate by Bishop (later Metropolitan) Orestes Chornock, Bishop Andrew (Molodvanu - Romanian Patriarchate), and a third canonical hierarch whose name escapes me at the moment (perhaps Archbishop Panteleimon of Canada). Bishop Dositheus was Acting Patriarchal Exarch until Archbishop (later Metropolita) John arrived from Russia.

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
Joseph Skureth was not ordained to the episcopate by any hierarch of the Moscow Patriarchate (nor, indeed, by any canonical Orthodox hierarch). He was indeed ordained a priest, first by William Henry Francis Brothers while they were both "Old Catholics" and later they were both - separately - ordained to the Orthodox priesthood by Bishop Dositheus (in the contact of what was expected to be a "union" of the Old Catholics with the Moscow Patriarchate, which never materialized).

In the later nineteen-fifties, Dositheus himself was elected Bishop by the Moscow Patriarchate and, at Moscow's request, was ordained to the episcopate by Bishop (later Metropolitan) Orestes Chornock, Bishop Andrew (Molodvanu - Romanian Patriarchate), and a third canonical hierarch whose name escapes me at the moment (perhaps Archbishop Panteleimon of Canada). Bishop Dositheus was Acting Patriarchal Exarch until Archbishop (later Metropolita) John arrived from Russia.

Fr. Serge

Bless, Father,

To clear up the name, lest anyone think we are speaking of 2 different people - Skureth was John Joseph Skureth and references to him, in various documents, appear under both John and Joseph.

You are correct. Skureth was initially ordained to the presbyterate by William Henry Francis Brothers. Because he later served as an Antiochian priest - under Sayedna Michael (Shaheen) of Toledo (during the era of the two Antiochian jurisdictions), I presumed that he had been ordained by Bishop Michael. In skimming some of Bertil Persson's materials, I see that I was wrong and his subsequent presbyteral ordination was indeed by Bishop Dositheus, as you indicate.

Your report that Bishop Dositheus was ordained to the episcopacy by Metropolitan Orestes in the late '50s makes much more sense than the sequence of events asserted by some of the vagante, i.e., that he was so ordained in 1966 by Archbishop John - and then acted as co-consecrator for Skureth's episcopal ordination, on the same day (a tale that really smacks of non-canonicity).

According to Persson, he (Skureth) amassed three - count 'em - episcopal ordinations in a 1 week period during April, 1966:

• 4/10/66 Archbishop Walter Xavier Brown, assisted by Archbishop Robert S Zeiger
  • 4/14/66 Archbishop Brothers, assisted by Archbishop Joseph A MacCormack
  • 4/17/66 Consecrated by Archbishop Wendland, assisted by Bishop Dositheus
Regardless of whether that 3rd one happened or not, he was shortly afterwards released by the Antiochians.

Many years,

Neil

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by StuartK
Neil,

Sometimes you are scary.

Only sometimes, Stuart biggrin ??

Many years,

Neil (who thinks that might have been a compliment confused )

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.