The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mike Allo, Narek, Bryce, matrixrevived, Vincent Gabriel
6,045 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (chooch factor), 536 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,416
Posts416,902
Members6,045
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Dear Friends,

Christ is Risen!

The now closed thread about post-schism Orthodox saints recognized for veneration by the Russian Catholic Church had originally asked for documentation about Rome's permission.

Fr. Cyril Korolevsky in his book on Metropolitan Andrew Sheptytsky discusses this matter, but I do not now own a copy of his book. I've also seen this topic touched on elsewhere on the internet.

My apologies to Fr. Serge Keleher for referring Mother and Moderator Alice to him when she originally contacted me on this issue way back when! (I owe her an apology too.)

I should have made a better note of this at the time, but didn't as it didn't seem to speak to any controversy. The lists of Russian Saints later approved by Pope Pius XII and Pope Paul VI were for inclusion, as I understand it, in the actual Roman Canon of the Saints, rather than for the local Russian Catholic liturgical usage.

With respect to the quotations of "anti-Catholic" statements by St John of Kronstadt, St Theophan the Recluse etc., Fr. Maloney's principle applies throughout. Their spirituality and sanctity were not characterized by anything "Anti-Catholic" and they would have repeated the "prejudices of their (Orthodox) environment."

Orthodox scholars have also expressed their admiration for Catholic saints and teachers. For example, Orthodox have expressed their admiration for Savonarola who, nevertheless, regarded the Orthodox Church as being "cut off" etc. Happily, such terminology in the Catholic Church is "gone with the wind."

As Fr Keleher has said on occasion, East and West do not question each other's canonizations.

That "Orthodox in communion with Rome" would seek to venerate Orthodox saints is, in my view, completely natural, given that the same spirituality that inebriates them is what led the Saints into the paths of holiness/deification.

Hopefully, this has cleared up the confusion that I inadvertently caused on the other thread.

Cheers,

Alex

G
G
Indeed He Is Risen!

Good to hear from you!

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
The lists of Russian Saints later approved by Pope Pius XII and Pope Paul VI were for inclusion, as I understand it, in the actual Roman Canon of the Saints, rather than for the local Russian Catholic liturgical usage.

Raphael, who started the now closed thread, posted on his blog a list of post-schism Russian Orthodox saints [thebananarepublican.blogspot.com] who were approved by Pope Paul VI and included in the Roman calendar:
1. St. Sava of Serbia (January 14) [1174-1237]
2. St. Nicetas of Novgorod (January 31) [†1108]
3. St. John the Martyr of Vilnius (April 14) [†1342]
4. St. Anthony the Martyr of Vilnius (April 14) [†1342]
5. St. Eustace the Martyr of Vilnius (April 14) [†1342]
6. St. Stephen the Enlightener of Perm (April 26) [1340-1396]
7. St. Stephen Pechersky (April 27) [†1094]
8. St. Cyril of Turov (April 28) [1130-1182]
9. St. Ignatius of Rostov (April 28) [†1288]
10. St. Isaiah the Wonderworker of Rostov (May 15) [†1090]
11. St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk (May 23) [†1173]
12. St. Leontius of Rostov (May 23) [†1077]
13. St. Nicetas the Wonderworker of Pereaslavl (May 24) [†1186]
14. St. German of Valaam (June 28) [†?]
15. St. Sergius of Valaam (June 28) [†?]
16. St. Anthony of the Kiev Caves (July 10) [983-1073]
17. St. Theodosius of the Kiev Caves (July 10)
18. St. Theodore the Black of Yaroslavl (September 19) [†1299]
19. St. David of Yaroslavl (September 19) [†1299]
20. St. Constantine of Yaroslavl (September 19) [†1299]
21. St. Michael the Martyr, Wonderworker of Chernigov (September 21) [†1246]
22. St. Theodore the Martyr, Wonderworker of Chernigov (September 21) [†1246]
23. St. Sergius the Wonderworker of Radonezh (September 25) [1314-1392]
24. St. Abraham the Wonderworker of Rostov (October 29) [†1073]
25. St. Barlaam of Khutyn (November 6) [†1193]

However, while looking through a copy of the last edition of the Martyrologium Romanum (2004) I could only find the following listed:

St. Stephen of Perm
St. Theodosius of the Kiev Caves
St. Anthony of the Kiev Caves
St. Sergius of Radonezh

E
E
I have a recent book in which Pope Benedict writes about St. Symeon the new Theologian, I wonder why we do not venerate this Great and Holy Saint in the west.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.