The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Greek275Girl, Chri3sss, uwekezaji, Mage, Rema
6,071 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 164 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,437
Posts417,015
Members6,071
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Xaipe! I am new to the Byzantine Catholic Church. I have always know the Latin rite and am discerning my vocation and am looking into an order that uses the Byzantine rite for the Divine Office, and the Latin rite for Mass. I don't know very much about the Byzantine Liturgy of the Hours. I know where I can buy the 4 book Latin rite set, but where can I get the Byzantine ones that have all the hours? If someone can help, thank you!

Administrator
Administrator
Dear Margaret,

Welcome to ByzCath. In answer to your question, what you seek is called a "Horologion" or Book of the Hours. There are several different renditions of this volume and maybe some posters can give you some suggestions to where to purchase one.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
OP Offline
Thank you, Fr. Anthony! May God bless you.

J
Jim Offline
J
In my parish we use what are termed Divine Praises, which include the first, third, sixth, and ninth hour, as prayed in the Byzantine Catholic Church. There is also a Compline service which we less frequently do. Our source for the Praises is a version that originated at Holy Resurrection Monastery, but there are probably others available, possibly from the seminary in Pittsburgh or Byzantine Seminary Press.

We also have a women's monastery, Holy Theophany, in Olympia, WA, which is a sister to Holy Resurrection, and which prays the hours daily as part of their office.

T
T
XaipeMaria, I researched this a bit, and from what I can tell, I think what you (and I) (and a lot of people) might be looking for is:

Let Us Pray to the Lord - (Volume I) Daily Office
The Daily Office of Vespers, Compline, Orthros, Little Hours (Daily, Sunday/Festal, Lenten), and other prayers. Pocket size, in black leatherette. 440 pages. Price: $30.00

(new link)
https://ssl.webvalence.com/ecommerce/kiosk.lasso?merchant=ecpubs&kiosk=books&class=4

This is the closest the Byzantine Church has to a one volume Liturgy of the Hours book like Christian Prayer.
according to Deacon Lance on this thread:

https://www.byzcath.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002977

and others on other threads.

Here is a more thorough description than what you get on the publisher's site:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=450001586&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26y%3D0%26kn%3Dhorologion%26x%3D0

Hope this helps. I ordered mine today from ecpubs.com (the publisher, $30) so I'll let you know what I think (as I try to teach a group of people to pray the Roman Divine Office, and try to teach myself how to pray this one. eek )

Talitha

B
B
This is a nice daily office book; I used it for some years, along with Archbishop Raya's _Byzantine Daily Worship_. The compiler has abbreviated the services according to what he felt a good daily order of prayer would include.

Talitha and XaipeMaria - if you send me your mailing address privately (PM to ByzKat, or email to ByzKat@stny.rr.com) I will send you a couple of back issues of the Plainchanter newsletter, which has information on liturgical books, and on setting up the proper parts of Matins and Vespers according to the Typikon.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

There are several good ones out there. The "Unabbreviated Horologion" is printed by Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville and available from several sources and is my personal favorite.

Another "Horologion or Book of the Hours" is printed by St. Tikhon's Press. I have this one also and its main feature is that festal and fasting period variations of the services (Little Hours, Vespers, Matins) are included separately which may be less confusing for some.

Probably the most complete one-volume in English is the Mega Horologion or "Great Book of the Hours" from Holy Transfiguration Monastery. This is the English version of the Athonite usage. I don't own this one but my pastor uses this one and it is his favorite.

The Jordanville book runs for about $45; St. Tikhon's for about $70; and the Mega Horologion for about $120. Byzantine Daily Worship is in the 60-70$ range as I recall also; and it is certainly a good book as well.

There is a very nice softbound book called "The Hours of Prayer-A Book of Devotion" that is published by the American Carpatho-Russian diocese (ACROD) and is a wonderful book containing the common (usual parts) of most of the regular offices as well as some Roman and Byzantine devotional prayers interspersed as well, morning and evening prayers, etc.

It is very reasonable at about $15 and used to be available (at least when I got mine) from St. Vladimir's Seminary Press bookstore. It has a very nice "Common Office" in it that can be used for Vespers, Matins, etc. when one does not have any other books of propers.

T
T
Originally posted by Margaret:
Xaipe! I am new to the Byzantine Catholic Church. I have always know the Latin rite and am discerning my vocation and am looking into an order that uses the Byzantine rite for the Divine Office, and the Latin rite for Mass. I don't know very much about the Byzantine Liturgy of the Hours. I know where I can buy the 4 book Latin rite set, but where can I get the Byzantine ones that have all the hours? If someone can help, thank you!
The Ukrainian Diocese of Stamford has one at
http://stamforddio.org/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=94163&From=Home

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Margaret:
I have always know the Latin rite and am discerning my vocation and am looking into an order that uses the Byzantine rite for the Divine Office, and the Latin rite for Mass.
Maria,

Welcome to the Forum. I am fascinated by the description of the order to which you are discerning a vocation. If you don't mind my asking, who are they?

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
T
T
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this is the one that turned up through a Google search. Since this thread is from 2005, are there any new editions/recommendations? Thank you.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
T
T
Thank you Fr. Deacon Lance!

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.