The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fr. Al), 623 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,920
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dear Marduk,

I've never considered you as a convert either!

Cheers, Alex

T
T
Originally Posted by mardukm
I've happily and proudly never considered myself a convert to Catholicism, but simply translated. I have maintained all my essential Orthodoxy as a Catholic. smile

Blessings.
+1.

Alex:

It's not necessary to bow out. I was suggesting a step back to take a second look before pushing "submit."

Bob

As you say, Mr. Moderator, I submit in more ways than one.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 02/13/15 07:47 PM.
I apologize, it was me that brought up the name of the person. It is disheartening to me to hear such things occur so often. It's as if all this talk of "authentic Tradition" and such is merely window dressing. Which brings us back to the original topic.

Perhaps some disunity is not as much scandal as "unity" like that.

Originally Posted by The young fogey
... Latin trad is a favorite stock character here ...
I don't want to get much involved with that topic, but I think I should say a word because my comment about "my experience [with] quite a lot of Catholic bloggers" seems to have brought it on. (My personal experience is more with "neo-conservative" Catholic bloggers, but I'm guessing some have more experience with trad-types. You perhaps, Alex?)

T
T
Also, calling the Catholic Church "the Roman Communion" to object to the intractability of our true-church claim (vs. Orthodoxy's?) is unfair because our claim is more inclusive than Orthodoxy's. As part of our doctrine, we partially recognize the other side: they have bishops and the Mass. Not so of the Orthodox. The ecumenical ones are allowed to recognize our sacraments, but the anti-ecumenical ones are allowed not to.

our true-church claim

Actually I don't think the Catholic Church makes that claim any longer--at least as exclusively as in th epast--since Vatican II called us to expand our vision of what the "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church mentioned in the Nicene Creed means. In fact, I believe that the ecumenical approach taht we are called to asks us to look at our brethren as somehow part of us already and to look at Truth as Christ and not our own parochial vision.

We must take a more global view and get outside the strictures of history--or as St. John Paul II said, we must purify our historical memories, which I take to mean that we must see the good in our brothers and sisters and put aside the negative that we have carried for so long. No one in the history of the Church is without fault. On the other hand, it does no one--least of all us--any good to carry the weight of our predecsssors' negativity with us into the future.

Bob

I think we still make the one-true-church claim ... but we recognize that it isn't necessary to repeat it a thousand times at every step of the dialogue. smile

Likewise, I think we are less rigid than we use to be vis a vis the idea of having, if you will, a copyright on names like "Catholic" or "Orthodox". (And thank goodness! I find it utterly ridiculous to hear names like "Eastern Schismatics", "the Vatican Religious Organization", etc being used, or to listen to the endless back and forth "We're the Catholic Church ... No we're the Catholic Church ... No we're the Catholic Church ... No we're the Catholic Church" etc.)

T
T
All of the ancient apostolic churches (except the modern Nestorians, probably because of Anglican influence) claim this. The classic conservative Anglicans sort of do too, saying they're the best for being both "Catholic," claiming to have bishops and having a sort of liturgy and vesture, and "reformed." As do confessional Lutherans, holding that both we and other Protestants are in grave error. Again I think Catholicism's claim both makes the most sense and is the most generous (we don't claim that the non-Catholic Eastern churches are graceless).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.