The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (griego catolico, theophan, Chrysostomos407), 554 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,420
Posts416,919
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
The Secret Roots of Liberation Theology

by Ion Mihai Pacepa
April 23, 2015
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/417383/secret-roots-liberation-theology-ion-mihai-pacepa

History often repeats itself, and if you have lived two lives, as I have done, you have a good chance of seeing the reenactment with your own eyes.

Liberation theology, of which not much has been heard for two decades, is back in the news. But what is not being mentioned is its origins. It was not invented by Latin American Catholics. It was developed by the KGB. The man who is now the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, secretly worked for the KGB under the code name “Mikhailov” and spent four decades promoting liberation theology, which we at the top of the Eastern European intelligence community nicknamed Christianized Marxism. Liberation theology has been generally understood to be a marriage of Marxism and Christianity. What has not been understood is that it was not the product of Christians who pursued Communism, but of Communists who pursued Christians. I described the birth of liberation theology in my book Disinformation, co-authored with Professor Ronald Rychlak. Its genesis was part of a highly classified Party/State Disinformation Program, formally approved in 1960 by KGB chairman Aleksandr Shelepin and Politburo member Aleksei Kirichenko, then the second in the party hierarchy after Nikita Khrushchev.

In 1971, the KGB sent Kirill — who had just been elevated to the rank of archimandrite — to Geneva as emissary of the Russian Orthodox Church to the World Council of Churches. The WCC was, and still is, the largest international religious organization after the Vatican, representing some 550 million Christians of various denominations in 120 countries. Kirill/Mikhailov’s main task was to involve the WCC in spreading the new liberation theology throughout Latin America. In 1975, the KGB was able to infiltrate Kirill into the Central Committee of the WCC — a position he held until he was “elected” patriarch of Russia, in 2009. Not long after he joined the Central Committee, Kirill reported to the KGB: “Now the agenda of the WCC is also our agenda.”

During Kirill’s years at the helm of the WCC, liberation theology put down deep roots in Latin America — where the map now has significant patches of red. Russian military ships and bombers are back in Cuba for the first time since the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, and Russia has also newly sent ships and bombers to Venezuela.

Pope John Paul II, who knew the Communist playbook well, was not taken in by the Soviets’ liberation theology. In 1983, his friend and trusted colleague Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI), who at that time was head of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, discarded as Marxist the liberation-theology idea that class struggle is fundamental to history. The cardinal called liberation theology a “singular heresy” and blasted it as a “fundamental threat” to the Church.

Of course, it was and remains a threat — one deliberately designed to undermine the Church and destabilize the West by subordinating religion to an atheist political ideology for its geopolitical gain.

Now names — like Oscar Romero and Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann – not heard since the 1980s, when the Soviet Union was still en vogue, are again making international news. And here we are. The promoters of a KGB-inspired religious ideology, which once embraced violent Marxist revolution, are now denying its link to Marxism and to the KGB.

Each society reflects its own past. Down through the ages, everyone who has sat on the Kremlin throne — autocratic tsar, Communist leader, or democratically elected president — has been preoccupied with controlling all expressions of religion that might impinge on his political ambitions. When Ivan IV — the Terrible — had himself crowned in 1547 as Russia’s first tsar, he also made himself head of the Russian Orthodox Church. Tsarism and Communism may have been swallowed up by the sands of time, but the Kremlin continues this tradition.

Throughout its history, Russia has been a samoderzhaviye, a traditional Russian form of totalitarian autocracy in which a feudal lord rules the country and the church with the help of his political police force. The latter, whenever it had a sticky image problem, simply changed its name — from Okhrana to Cheka, to GPU, to OGPU, to NKVD, to NKGB, to MGB, to MVD, to KGB — ­and pretended it was a brand new organization.

Many deceased KGB officers must have been chortling in their graves on New Year’s Eve, 1999, when their old boss, Vladimir Putin, at one time my KGB counterpart, enthroned himself in the Kremlin. During the Cold War, the KGB was a state within a state. Now the KGB — rechristened FSB — is the state itself. According to a study published in the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta, by 2003, some 6,000 former KGB officers were running Russia’s federal and local governments. The respected British newspaper the Guardian reports that President Putin has secretly accumulated over $40 billion, becoming Europe’s richest man.

In Russia, the more things change, the more they seem to stay the same.

This brings us back to Kirill/Mikhailov. In 2006 Archbishop Kirill’s personal wealth was estimated at $4 billion by the Moscow News. No wonder. In the mid-1990s, the Russian Orthodox Church’s Department for External Church Relations, managed by Kirill, was granted the privilege of duty-free importation of cigarettes as reward for his loyalty to the KGB. It did not take long for him to become the largest supplier of foreign cigarettes in Russia.

A few years ago, while Kirill was visiting Ukraine as the new Patriarch of Russia, a newspaper published a photo in which the prelate could be seen wearing a Breguet wristwatch, the price of which was estimated at 30,000 euros. The Russian newspaper Kommersant accused Kirill of abusing the privilege of duty-free importation of cigarettes, and dubbed him the “tobacco metropolitan.” Kirill denied having such a watch. He said the photograph must have been altered by his enemies, and he posted the “real” photograph on his official website. A careful study of this “real” photograph, however, shows that the Breguet watch had been airbrushed off his wrist, but its reflection is still clearly visible on a table surface beneath his arm.

Mikhailov and his KGB, rechristened FSB, are now doing their best to airbrush out the apron strings connecting them to liberation theology. Let’s not allow them to succeed.

Lieutenant General (retired) Ion Mihai Pacepa is the highest-ranking Soviet-bloc official ever to defect to the West. His last book is Disinformation, co-authored with Professor Ronald Rychlak.

As someone who studied liberation "theology" for several years while in graduate school, I do not doubt anything that is presented above.

Alex

S
S
Liberation theology was one of the few good things that came out of the post Vatican II Catholic Church. If the Orthodox Church had some small role in propagating it, I would feel honored.

M
M
Nope, I am not buying this.
Besides the fact that National Review has published nothing but junk in the last decade, no Soviet input was needed for there to be any kind of liberation theology. There was enough nearly native material for that to develop. A precursor was Ivan Illich, who, though quite traditional theologically, had very radical social theories. (For those who don't know, he was not Russian, but a Viennese educated Croat who had once been president of the Catholic University of Puerto Rico.)
And what nonsense about history repeating itself. It is made up of persons and events weaving an un-repeating pattern.

Liberation "theology" did NOT come from Vatican II!

You clearly haven't studied it (or Marxist-Leninism) in any detail.

It was simply Marxism with Christian symbolism (usually oriented toward revolution and the like).

There was a time when I was taken in by it - most of my friends, acquaintances and, of course, my professors were Marxists and to go against Marxism would not have been healthy for one's grades etc.

If anyone thinks Marx could be "baptized" like Aquinas sought to baptize Aristotle and the philosophy of his age . . . well, it can't be done.

The idea that our material conditions determine consciousness absolutely - that is simply not Christianity. Anyone who accepts that is not a Christian. The "Christian Marxists" in my day thought they could get around this conundrum by removing the "absolute" from the equation.

Marxism and Christianity are diametrically opposed however and the most that happened with those who promoted "liberation theology" was that they proved to be among Lenin's "useful idiots."

Christianity has its own social message and Marxism loses when Christians actively promote that message. Christianity loses when it aligns itself with the oppressive elements in any society - including how the Russian Orthodox Church aligned itself with the Soviet government and is currently doing so with the neo-Soviet regime in Russia today.

Alex

Dear Mark,

That the Russian Orthodox Church has always worked closely with the state . . . well, we have a difference of opinion.

It isn't a question of history repeating itself - it is a question of history simply continuing along.

Liberation "theology" had diverse promoters and as with all theorists and revolutionaries of the Left, they act "in the name of the people" without ever having asked the people for their input.

Whatever Ivan Ilyich's ethnic background (and Stalin was a Georgian), it was against the backdrop of Bolshevism and how it both martyred and later manipulated the Russian Orthodox Church for its own ends (and no one is blaming the ROC given the circumstances).

Lenin's legacy did not die with the Soviet Union. It persists in the Russian imperial weltanschauung. Even the current president of Russia went on record as saying he regarded the remains of Lenin as "relics" similar to those of the Fathers of the Kyivan Caves (!)

That individuals in the ROC worked as agents for the government - if you don't believe that, you don't believe that.

All I'm saying is that, as a student of Latin American social, political and religious processes, it would not be surprising to me in the least that the Soviet propaganda machine was directly involved in the promotion of "liberation theology." And that includes those individuals within the ROC who collaborated and who continue to collaborate with the state.

No repetition of history here at all - just more of the same.

Alex

M
M
There is no denial on my part of the Russian Church's entanglements with Soviet authorities. (Having lived in Poland for two years, even Catholic Poland -- it was later revealed -- had collaborators. In their case, collaboration was forces via blackmail. We all sin, you know.)I was merely expressing that Lib. Theology -- btw I feel we are beating a dead horse in re. to Lib. Theol. -- needed no input from Soviet-backed churchmen. People in the Third World had access to the basic texts of Marxism and could draw their own conclusions. The Catholic Church was pretty much the property of the upper classes, nearly as egregiously as the C of E, and it was only a matter of time before something drastic would have to shake this and examples from the liberation struggles would do this.
It is curious to me that Catholic social teaching is so seldom implemented in Catholic countries. I know a large segment of the political leadership in some Catholic countries is Masonic and perhaps that would have formed an obstacle. Attempts were made in various European countries for a Catholic or Populist politcal movement between the wars, which were foiled by subsequent realities. To be honest, a lot of it sounds too idealistic...but not nearly as much as Marxism.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.