The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mike Allo, Narek, Bryce, matrixrevived, Vincent Gabriel
6,045 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 662 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,413
Posts416,893
Members6,045
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Iowa Mission 20220406.jpg
akemner Offline OP
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa

At our new location on the first anniversary of being there.
1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
7 Comments
Beautiful sanctuary.

A
A
Very cool! I am from Iowa, originally (Davenport), but I have not lived there in many years. It's nice to see the East there!

2 members like this: OEFNavyVet, akemner
R
R
Where is this at in Iowa?

Also, is this in someone's home? Or do you guys have your own church?

1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
akemner Offline OP
OP Offline
Muscatine, which is where the Mississippi turns south after flowing westward from the Quad Cities. We are not in someone's house, though I think the building may have started out as a 1950s ranch-style house. It was a restaurant before we moved it, but completely gutted and remodeled, so it is mostly a wide open space and has two restrooms, a mechanical room and an old restroom that we converted into a confessional/quiet room. There is an addition where we have our hall. We are in a commercial area-there is a laundromat next door, a dance studio, a liquor store, Asian Massage parlor, a non-profit that promotes diversity, and a hair salon. All these are in different buildings, but we have a common parking lot. Heinz foods has a factory across the street (it is where they make their ketchup, among other things).

2 members like this: Adamcsc, OEFNavyVet
Sounds like a unique opportunity to evangelize :-)

Modern America is a funny place.

1 member likes this: Adamcsc
A
A
The local Melkite church to where I live (St, Ignatios of Antioch) was (apparently) originally a Methodist church. A lot of the liturgical items were donated to the parish by the local Syriac Orthodox and Greek Orthodox communities. You use what you can get. Sometimes, that's a former restaurant next to a liquor store. I legit know of a an OCA mission near where I live, that, I think is in someone's garage.
I agree it's a unique opportunity to evangelize. I remember, during the evening of Good Friday, when we were doing a procession outside of St. Ignatios, a man in his car, asked the Late Fr. Michael Hull (may his memory be eternal) what we were doing. He told him, and the guy went on his was. If you're next to a bunch of businesses, I imagine some people would just stop by out of curiosity.

akemner Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, they folks at the laundromat looked at us funny on Pascha. There is an OCA mission in Pella that is in a storefront right downtown. There is a Western Rite ROC mission in Davenport that was in a storefront in the Hill district, but they are moving to another location.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.