The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
QuisUtDeus, James_890, Seryozha, Augustin C, CharlesN
6,080 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (MalpanaGiwargis), 222 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,440
Posts417,072
Members6,080
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I know that we have quite a few history buffs on this forum...

Does anyone know the origin of the list of the corporal and spiritual works of mercy? I know that organizations have existed in both East and west that performed many or all of these in varying degrees, but I'm curious as to when or how these were identified.

The corporal works of mercy are as follows:

To feed the hungry;
To give drink to the thirsty;
To clothe the naked;
To harbour the harbourless;
To visit the sick;
To ransom the captive;
To bury the dead.

The spiritual works of mercy are:

To instruct the ignorant;
To counsel the doubtful;
To admonish sinners;
To bear wrongs patiently;
To forgive offences willingly;
To comfort the afflicted;
To pray for the living and the dead.

Does the East have a similar list? If so, can anyone direct me to a source?

Thanks!

Peace -

Gordo

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by CaelumJR:
Does anyone know the origin of the list of the corporal and spiritual works of mercy?
Gordo,

Fascinating question and, though one of those history buffs, I am at a loss for an answer.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Dear Friends,

Actually, the list above appeared in Orthodox prayerbooks in the time of St Peter Mohyla of Kyiv.

The bodily works of mercy are mentioned in the passages on the Final Judgement in the Gospel.

The East simply did not go into lists such as this - which does not mean it didn't want to!

Meyendorff and Ohienko make mention about how Orthodoxy borrowed from Thomas Aquinas with respect to systematic moral philosophy.

"Good works" in the East had a wide definition in spiritual books and prayer and fasting are among the first "good works."

In other words, the notion of "good works" in the West always had a "social" dimension whereas monastics living alone would be seen to be doing "good works" if they only worked on their own salvation.

Alex

Alex -

I knew you would come through for me!

Thank you for your help on this. I wonder, though, if the purpose of the list of the works of mercy is to identify those specific good works which in a more direct and explicit way extend the mercy of Christ to the world, versus all good works which might then include prayer and fasting? That is not to say, of course, that individual prayer and fasting have no social or cosmological dimension to them, but that they are works which are to be primarily hidden.

Just a thought...

Peace -

Gordo

Dear Gordo,

You are probably right!

When I was in a Trappist monastery, the hot issue of debate of the day was the legitimacy of cloistered monastic life.

After all, what "good" did they do in terms of social action, helping the poor and downtrodden etc.?

That question would never come up in Orthodoxy or Orthodox monastic circles.

But, there is a great social action tradition in Orthodoxy - for example, St Dmitri of Rostov sermonizing about the responsibility of the rich to help the poor in time of war (and they did). Or St Paisius Velichkovsky ordering his monasteries to feed and house war-time displaced persons.

Alex

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.