The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
QuisUtDeus, James_890, Seryozha, Augustin C, CharlesN
6,080 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (MalpanaGiwargis), 222 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,440
Posts417,072
Members6,080
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
My dad came by this evening. He is a 79 year old WWII Veteran. He served on the USS Marshall 676, was taken off that ship to a hospital ship, his gun was hit by a Japanese plane, and it is amazing he is here, a decorated vet including purple heart. Anyway, he is not very happy with Senator Kerry, and he says the other Purple Heart Vets are not either. They are angry, the feel like he tried to destroy everything they risked their lives for in this country. To me it is sad to see these men so disappointed.

Pani Rose

It is important to remember that there are many veterans FOR Kerry

I know veterans who despise Bush.

As for Kerry "destroying" what our WWII veterans fought for...who is going to bankrupt social security? Who is bankrupting our future by spending like crazy while lowering taxes at the same time? Do you know much money we owe to foreigners? I think one of the things the WWII veterans fought for was safety and independence for this country. I personally don't feel safe with a president who thinks he's John Wayne.

D
djs Offline
D Offline
Moreover, Kerry's war crimes, so far as we know, were readily confessed by Kerry in congressional testimony.
Just re-read Kerry's famous Congressional testimony. Didn't see any confession of his war crimes.

D
djs Offline
D Offline
It is important to remember that there are many veterans FOR Kerry
Like the men under his command.

B
B Offline
Tuesday is fast approaching, and will thankfully soon be over. I join the ranks of thousands who say they don't like either candidate. How long has it been for most of you, since you could vote for a candidate you really liked?

Originally posted by Jennifer:
I know veterans who despise Bush.

As for Kerry "destroying" what our WWII veterans fought for...who is going to bankrupt social security? Who is bankrupting our future by spending like crazy while lowering taxes at the same time? Do you know much money we owe to foreigners? I think one of the things the WWII veterans fought for was safety and independence for this country. I personally don't feel safe with a president who thinks he's John Wayne.
Jennifer,

Bankrupting Social Security???? I think medical doctors are bankrupting Social Security. They are the ones through whose hands and minds our lives are being prolonged. They are the ones who care so much for our physical health that they are willing to risk the future of the Social Security System as we know it by tipping to scales so that instead of 20:1 worker to retiree we now have only 3:1. By cowardly inaction on the Dems part not only will Social Security be changed in a way that causes horrendous disruption in the very near future but will probably cause it to be completely eliminated. Mr. Bush has offered some alternatives to save SS but they have been thrown back in his face by the cowards who run the DNC.

Our trade imbalence has been a problem for as long as I've been alive and I think I'm quite a bit older than you.

I do agree with you. Seniors did not need that drug card and I'm almost a senior. We could have done without that. Though now that it exists the Dems are complaining that it isn't enough. Nevertheless, I think lowering taxes, just as Mr. Kennedy, and Mr. Reagan did is the proper way to stimulate the economy.

Jennifer, I'm sorry that you don't feel safe. I don't think anyone feels safe as long as loonies like the radical Muslims are running around. But I know that I am safer and better off when the bully is seriously challenged than when we have a leader who can't make up his mind what to do when challenged by the bully. Perhaps isolationism is the answer but I don't think radical Islam will let us be isolationists.

Dan L

Originally posted by byzanTN:
Tuesday is fast approaching, and will thankfully soon be over. I join the ranks of thousands who say they don't like either candidate. How long has it been for most of you, since you could vote for a candidate you really liked?
As has been suggested perhaps we need a monarchy. But then the old axiom that we get the leader we deserve. Do we deserve better than we get? I believe that there have been times when we got better than we deserved but then they usually led us to be better than we are. Who would you choose for a candidate? Could he win? I'd choose Alan Keyes. I don't think he'd have a chance of winning.

Dan L

I'm certainly not questioning Daniel's right not to vote for Bush, but can anyone tell when was the last time Rush Limbaugh advised the President or the US military commanders in Iraq on how to wage the war in Iraq?

Limbaugh is a radio talk show host, not a Bush military policy advisor (thank God!).

S
S Offline
I'm a board newbie, but I'll venture an opinion here smile

I am writing in a 100 percent pro-life candidate. He is a U.S. representative from my state (Michigan), and he is everything I support -- anti-death penalty, anti-abortion, anti-war, pro-environment, pro-labor.

I thought about this and prayed about this for a long time, and finally came to the conclusion that in good conscience I can vote for neither candidate. I will not vote for Kerry because of his abortion stance, and I will not vote for Bush for just about every reason BUT his abortion stance.

Some people have told me I am "throwing away my vote," but I guess I'm not a person who likes to play by the rule of the system. If we all think we have to vote for a Democrat or a Republican, things will NEVER change, and I really feel that they HAVE to. There are a huge number of Christians, and others, out there who are pro-life but don't support the GOP. We deserve a voice.

Sanveann!!

Please export more politicians like this one to where i live please!!! I cannot support the GOP at all and so I reluctantly support the Dems because of the progressive stands on the death penalty, environment, and social justice issues although I am of course, against abortion. God grant us more politicians who are pro-life in the "seamless" garment sense!!!

Dan,

"Cowardly" Dems? I've got to stop you here. I for one am so fed up with this political rah-rah stuff! And I suppose the brave GOP is fighting the "evil" "cowardly" Dems to save America?

I do research for a healthcare consulting firm and one of my tasks to research proposed bills (state and federal) affecting healthcare. I read these bills and it's so obvious to me that all of these people are completely in the pocket of special interests. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks there's any major difference between the two political parties or they're not corrupt to the core is highly naive.

Partisan politics is just a game they play to whip up the electorate so we won't notice when they steal from us.

The Medicare drug card is an excellent example of the game. Mark my words, it will bankrupt this country. It's the largest expansion in government benefits since the Great Society. From a "conservative" Republican? They (Republicans and Democrats) are in bed with the drug companies and the big employers which is what this was all about. American big business can't afford to pay for America's healthcare anymore so they've gone to the government and asked them to bail them out. (Do you know what GM is today...a social services agency that sells cars on the side to pay its bills. It's mail business is providing healthcare benefits to millions of Americans.) What about the chairman of the House Energy Commmittee that did all of the hearings on the drug card who resigned from the house after the legislation was passed and became a wealthy lobbyist for the drug companies.
I just can't stand all this political rah-rah stuff when there's a radical Islamist group plotting to kill us while our government does little to protect us. They run off to Iraq to fight Saddam when there's no connection between Saddam and bin Laden (of course there's a connection between bin Laden and our great allies the Kurds, but that's another story). But they provide any health to state and local governments to protect us against a terrorist threat here. Our borders are virtually unguarded. Our chemical plants and nuclear power plants would be such easy targets. Meanwhile bin Laden escapes to our great ally Pakistan.

BTW, I didn't make it to your church again this morning. I'm traveling for business.

you know whats sad about the whole social security thing. Kerry is actually telling people that social security will be around for some time. that's a joke. i'm 16 and i have a a job but i know that i shouldn't depend on my social security check to come through. john kerry is more niave then i thought he was if he thinks security is going to be around for much longer.
-Katie g

Jennifer,

I agree with about everything you've said. So what's the solution. I favor a monarchy, though that probably won't work. What is your solution? All I know for certain that separates the two is their stand on abortion and marriage. Mr. Bush is against abortion at least in most cases and in favor of marriage as it truly is. Mr. Kerry is in favor of abortion and against true marriage.

The rest of it is a wash.

So what's your solution? It's easy to accuse even when the accusations are essentially correct. It's much harder to offer a solution. Here's your chance.

Dan L

Katie,

We learned this about Social Security and have known it for several years. I believe Mr. Kerry is not naive but that he is cynical. All politicians, except for Mr. Keyes, seem to be so. Perhaps it is the only way they can survive in this system. Anyway, at least Mr. Bush is honest with us about the Social Security system.

I was much impressed with the visiting priest we had today. Imagine coming into a Church he knows very little about without any choir or any deacons and offering such beautiful leadership. I am most grateful for his leadership and told him so. I did want to go on pilgrimage but it just didn't work out.

Dan L

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.