The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180163 08/23/06 06:48 PM
Recluse Offline OP
OP Offline
I have heard reports that there is evidence that Patriarch Alexei II of Moscow was a one time KGB agent who went by the code name "Drozdov". Is there truth to this report? If so, how does the ROCOR rationalize the recent unification with the ROC?

#180164 08/23/06 06:56 PM
D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally posted by Recluse:
I have heard reports that there is evidence that Patriarch Alexei II of Moscow was a one time KGB agent who went by the code name "Drozdov". Is there truth to this report? If so, how does the ROCOR rationalize the recent unification with the ROC?
I have heard this from many sources. He was particularly active as a KGB agent while serving as Metropolitan in Estonia. A few years ago, a local ROCOR priest re-affirmed this accusation for me. He indicated that some U.S. intelligence operatives had provided ROCOR's Synod of Bishops with evidence of this accusation. Recently, however, this priest, who is now an advocate of re-union with the Moscow Patriarchate, indicated to me that Alexei has, at least three times, publicly admitted to this, and has remorsefully apologized for it. They are willing to take him at face value, and also are willing to take into account the fact that the Church was under a harsh persecution, and that judgements in this matter are best left to God. Hope this helps.

Dn. Robert

#180165 08/23/06 06:59 PM
It's documented that he was a star agent for the KGB (ref: C. Andrews and Vasili Mitrokhin, The Mitrokin Archive). All the bishops were to at least some degree; otherwise the Communists would not let them be elected. I'd imagine that they placed him on the Patriarchal throne because he had previously been so helpful to them.

This was necessary for the Church's survival, and I'm not particularly upset about it. Remember, in a Communist society the Party and ideology pretends that its full control over the thought and lives of the populace is scientifically proven to be necessary for the advancement of humanity. The Party only tolerates the Church as far as this toleration is useful.

The Patriarch condemned Communism once it became safe to do so, calling it "a sickness on Russian society" and effectively "repenting" (for lack of a better word) in the early 1990s.

MarkosC [reposting an older response to this question biggrin ]

#180166 08/23/06 07:07 PM
S
S
The story is true. Sadly. One can hope Alexei Ridiger has repented his sins and amended his life.

#180167 08/23/06 07:21 PM
Recluse Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jessup B.C. Deacon:
Recently, however, this priest, who is now an advocate of re-union with the Moscow Patriarchate, indicated to me that Alexei has, at least three times, publicly admitted to this, and has remorsefully apologized for it.
Dn. Robert
Thank you Father Deacon. I had not heard that he admitted this and apologized for it.

#180168 08/23/06 11:00 PM
Z
Z
I would assume that if Patriarch Alexei had religious integrity, he would have ended up in the Gulag with all the other martyrs. That he did not, would be in itself proof of his compliance with the authorities. :rolleyes:

Zenovia

#180169 08/23/06 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Zenovia:
I would assume that if Patriarch Alexei had religious integrity, he would have ended up in the Gulag with all the other martyrs. That he did not, would be in itself proof of his compliance with the authorities. :rolleyes:

Zenovia
So according to you all Orthodox priests and Patriarchs worth their salt should have wound up in the gulags? What sense does that make? I guess it's that time of the year to pounce on AlexiII again. Are things that slow on this forum?

#180170 08/23/06 11:35 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I find it also rude and distasteful that people are not referring to him by his patriarchal title. I believe an issue regarding this was addressed in this forum section about a week ago. If someone was to make the same reference to let's say the pontiff, posters all over would be clamoring.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
#180171 08/23/06 11:58 PM
L
L
Not that I'm in love with Patriarch Alexy (but then again I don't know *too* much about him), but, to be fair, almost everyone of any importance were given a KGB number/title in the Soviet Union.

Now, as far as the patriarch being an actual agent, which has been circulating for quite some time, I don't know for sure.

Logos Teen

#180172 08/24/06 12:07 AM
A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by Father Anthony:
I find it also rude and distasteful that people are not reffering to him by his patriarchal title.
Ditto.

Andrew

#180173 08/24/06 12:12 AM
F
Online Content
F
I'm more concerned about Putin, the ex-KGB man.A lot of us might feel a bit better about the current ROCOR/MP dialogues if Putin weren't pushing so hard for the union.I don't like the fact that Putin doesn't greet bishops by asking for a blessing, but rather SHAKES HANDS with the bishop and then kisses him three times.Some Russian-American defenders of Putin point out that JFK in 1960 made a point of NOT kissing Cardinal's rings because of the fear that Protestants might think that the Pope would have a "foothold" in the White House.The differance here is that Putin supposedly belongs to the same faith as most ethnic Russians who are believers.

#180174 08/24/06 12:17 AM
Dear Friends,

Please be careful to refer to Presidents, Patriarchs, Popes and other leaders by their title and name. It is the proper and respectful thing for us to do as Christians.

I know that many of you do not intend disrespect, and that for many of you it is nothing more than an oversight or sign of the more relaxed times, so I am just asking that you be more mindful.

Thanks! smile

Your Moderator,
Alice

#180175 08/24/06 01:05 AM
F
Online Content
F
Excuse me, Alice, I will show respect to Putin if and when he shows respect to the hierarchs of my church, not before..I wouldn't expect President Bush to kiss a bishop's hand, but then, I don't believe President Bush ever proffessed to be Orthodox.Chances are that Slobodan Milosevic never got a blessing from a bishop, but unlike Putin, he didn't pretend to be a believer.

#180176 08/24/06 01:15 AM
Dear Father Al,

I must insist on this across the board. People have pointed out the disrespect of not referring to Patriarch Alexei as a Patriarch, and last week, people pointed out the disrespect of our American President Bush not being referred to as President. Therefore, I must insist on this for all Presidents, Patriarchs, Bishops and Popes.

You are an Orthodox priest, and I respect you, however, as I have reminded other posters when they refer to 'Bush', we must remember what the church Fathers tell us: we must bridle the passions. Whether or not we like or dislike, approve or disapprove of a leader, religious or secular, they are never the less, leaders, and as Christians we must appropriate to them the proper respect and not let our passions/emotions get the best of us.

For instance, be assured that I would never allow anyone to call you 'Al'! (Believe it or not, I have seen such disrespect attempted on other boards towards Orthodox priests).

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kissing your right hand,
Alice

#180177 08/24/06 01:44 AM
F
Online Content
F
Dear Alice, Since I can't bring myself to respect Putin, I respectfuly ask you to remove me from this board.But why didn't you show the same outrage in the past, when some Ukrainians on this board trashed everything Russian, as if all Russians were responsible for the atrocities committed by the Soviets? also, here's another irony.I belong to ROCOR which some in "World Orthodox" would call reactionary and bigoted.Yet the OCA canonised Fr.Alexis Toth, a former Greek Catholic priest, who in his own writings, said some pretty strong things about Rome and the Papacy, language which certainly would have gotten him removed from this board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.