The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mike Allo, Narek, Bryce, matrixrevived, Vincent Gabriel
6,045 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chrysostomos407, theophan), 630 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,413
Posts416,894
Members6,045
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
Some bizarre news:

Apparently, the Church of England has allowed its clergy to get homosexual marriages, so long as they remain celibate.

Yes, you read that right.

Here is the link to the story:
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/may/05053007.html

--John

eli Offline
Sodom ...
Sodom ...

"12 And they said to Lot: Hast thou here any of thine? son in law, or sons, or daughters, all that are thine bring them out of this city: 13 For we will destroy this place, because their cry is grown loud before the Lord, who hath sent us to destroy them."
Book Of Genesis 19

It is only a matter of time till all non strict jealouse Churches VANISH! and the minority of blievers will cry "Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord."

I say it will take only 100-150 for this to happen ...

God have mercy on my Children and the Children of my Children.

B
B
The English follow everything that is novel, and hold fast to nothing - so said the Venerable Bede. Nothing has changed, has it?

In a decision that may go down in history as being the first to render Monty Python parodies redundant,

Redundant? Prophetic maybe?

M
M
Unlike the rest of the people who have posted on this thread I do not find this development at all surprising. Contrary to the hopes I have seen expressed in sundry places on this board ( genuine, beautiful and Christian hopes), you my byzantine brethren, must come to understand that Britain is a neo-pagan state and the Church of England will never be reunited to any form of Apostolic Christianity. This is slightly saddening to me but I must say I have become numb to such news. Indeed, I have come to expect it.

Please join your prayers to those of great St Gregory I, patron of England, father of the Roman Mission, Patriarch of Rome and all the West for the conversion of England, Europe and all the Occident.

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
Dear Myles,

Isn't St George "for Merrie England?"

I understand that St Edward the Confessor was once patron of the "sceptred Isle" but under King Richard, after his victory over Saracens in the Holy Land near Lydda where the shrine of St George was located, he adopted St George and the Red Cross.

I also think you are right about the Anglican Communion as a whole, but parts of it will, no doubt, "hook up" with Rome - probably the most populous parts in Asia and Africa.

Do Anglicans in England still even GO to church any more? wink

Never mind . . .

Alex

M
M
England has a handful of patrons and I think St Edward the Confessor still counts amongst them. The others of course, are Sts Gregory the Great and St George, St Cuthbert and Our Lady of Aylesford (home of the national Roman Catholic shrine in England) and Our Lady of Walsingham (home of the national marian shrine).

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
Just a note for clarification: The national shrine of our Lady of Walsingham is shared by Roman Catholics and Anglicans.

Fr. Mike

A
A
Myles,

I like your new icon.

God bless,
Todd

Check out what Guadior posted...
https://www.byzcath.org/bboard/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002257

I mean we all like to surf and read, maybe even post, but during the liturgy, come on!

I guess Henry's rebellion is alive and well in the Church of England.

Pani Rose

eli Offline
I just heard something that shocked me.

Did our Pope visit a gay priest (Catholic) in Italy last week or so?

Originally posted by Pani Rose:
Check out what Guadior posted...
https://www.byzcath.org/bboard/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002257

I mean we all like to surf and read, maybe even post, but during the liturgy, come on!

I guess Henry's rebellion is alive and well in the Church of England.

Pani Rose
Henry may have been a "rebel" against Rome but he was DEVOUTLY Catholic in his personal Faith, often hearing 3 Masses a day and having a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother and he would not have recognized the development the Church of England took in his son, Edward's time or Elizabeth's.

S
S
Would that be the same Sovereign that dissolved the monasteries and destroyed the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham and its statue? The same statue that His Majesty himself adorned with pearls?

L
L
Here's Henry VIII's Six Articles of 1539 which show him to be very Catholic in his beliefs.

First, that in the most blessed Sacrament of the Altar, by the strength and efficacy of Christ's mighty word, it being spoken by the priest, is present really, under the form of bread and wine, the natural body and blood of Our Saviour Jesu Christ, conceived of the Virgin Mary, and that after the consecration there remaineth no substance of bread and wine, nor any other substance but the substance of Christ, God and man;

Secondly, that communion in both kinds is not necessary ad salutem, by the law of God, to all persons; and that it is to be believed, and not doubted of, but that in the flesh, under the form of the bread, is the very blood; and with the blood, under the form of the wine, is the very flesh; as well apart, as though they were both together.

Thirdly, that priests after the order of priesthood received, as afore, may not marry, by the law of God.

Fourthly, that vows of chastity or widowhood, by man or woman made to God advisedly, ought to be observed by the law of God; and that it exempts them from other liberties of Christian people, which without that they might enjoy.

Fifthly, that it is meet and necessary that private masses be continued and admitted in this the King's English Church and Congregation, as whereby good Christian people, ordering themselves accordingly, do receive both godly and goodly consolations and benefits; and it is agreeable also to God's law.

Sixthly, that auricular confession is expedient and necessary to be retained and continued, used and frequented in the Church of God:. . . It is therefore ordained and enacted.. . .

VI. And be it further enacted... that if any person or persons... contemn or contemptuously refuse, deny, or abstain to be confessed at the time commonly accustomed within this realm and Church of England, or contemn or contemptuously refuse, deny, or abstain to receive the holy and blessed sacrament above said at the time commonly used and accustomed for the same, that then every such offender.. shall suffer such, imprisonment and make such fine and ransom to the King our Sovereign Lord and his heirs as by his Highness or by his or their Council shall be ordered and adjudged in that behalf; And if any such offender ... do eftsoons... refuse... to be confessed or to be communicate... that then every such offence shall be deemed and adjudged felony, and the offender... shall suffer pains of death and lose and forfeit all his... goods, lands, and tenements, as in cases of felony.

Henry VIII in his own words was a schismatic but no heretic, and he no doubt would have been horrified at the changes that occured under his son Edward VI. Problems between Henry and the Catholic population of England stemmed exclusively from the issue of Papal Supremecy.

By 1540, Franco-Imperial amity had dissolved

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.