The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
"Jesus Christ a King of Glory has come in peace. God became Man, and the Word was made flesh. Christ was born of a Virgin. Christ suffered. Christ was crucified. Christ died. Christ rose from the dead. Christ ascended into Heaven. Christ conquers. Christ reigns. Christ orders. May Christ protect us from all storms and lightning. Christ went through their midst in peace, and the Word was made flesh. Christ is with us with Mary. Flee you enemy spirits because the Lion of the Generation of Juda, the Root David, has won. Holy God! Holy Powerful God! Holy Immortal God! Have mercy on us. Amen!"

E
E
*blink blink*

The Pieta prayer book? That delightful little blue book... I remember it from my childhood... even as a child I laughed myself silly whenever i read that "Prayer to St Joseph over 1900 years old".

Then there are the Prayers of St Bridget and all those ridiculous "promises" for various prayers - that prayerbooks is the most potent and concentrated volume of latin superstition I've ever seen.

L
L
Eddie, calm down. biggrin

You are correct; the Piet� prayer book is filled with unapproved nonsense--but it is ALSO filled with wonderful, traditional devotions. I guess that is the problem with it; unless one recognizes a devotion in there from having seen it elsewhere, one almost has to do independent research on it . . .

LatinTrad

L
L
For serious storms, we have an old Irish custom (possibly German too) of burning palm leaves that were left over from the previous Palm Sunday. Last May we had dangerously high winds in the Chicago area, so I burned a few. Trees were down all over my neighborhood, but my block was practically untouched.

OP Offline
You know if you have never prayed the St. Bridget prayers then you have no way of knowing, do you?
Ed stated: Then there are the Prayers of St Bridget and all those ridiculous "promises" for various prayers - that prayerbooks is the most potent and concentrated volume of latin superstition I've ever seen.

I can tell you that if you have not prayed them, then you have no way of knowing. As for the promises, I have seen many miracles as a result of some of those prayers. I find there is as much power in them as the prayers we use from the Byzantine Church for the saints.

As for the St. Bridget prayers, unless you have tried them don't knock them. I don't know the result of those promises and I can't even tell you what the promises are, but the thing I receive from praying them is organization. I see things coming in order all around me, as do so many people who use them. Things get straigtened out that just boggles the mind. Teachers say order comes to their classrooms, childrens attitudes change immencly, people who have trouble keeping the house clean suddenly find it very easy to do and it becomes organized, things that are burdens and one has not been able to deal with or let go are suddenly taken care of. Sometimes you just know things are very different and then you realize it is St. Bridgets intercession going on. St. Bridgets prayers are not a burden they are a joy. It takes a bit to get use to them, but once you become acustom to praying them, they only take about 15 minutes or less. It's funny, I posted the St. Bridget prayers on here the other day, so if you want to read them here they are: https://www.byzcath.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000138
The focus is totally on Christ death and ressurection how can that be wrong?

Ed, I am sorry that any intercession of the saints would offend you.

Rose

OP Offline
Lawrence that is so cool! Praise God!

E
E
Originally posted by LatinTrad:
Eddie, calm down. biggrin

You are correct; the Piet� prayer book is filled with unapproved nonsense--but it is ALSO filled with wonderful, traditional devotions. I guess that is the problem with it; unless one recognizes a devotion in there from having seen it elsewhere, one almost has to do independent research on it...
*breathes*

Yes, you're quite right - I was hasty there. I have some lovely memories of that prayerbook - it was from that book that I memorised the Ave Maris Stella as a child (in Latin, naturally).

E
E
Originally posted by Rose:
You know if you have never prayed the St. Bridget prayers then you have no way of knowing, do you?
Actually I have. Between the ages of 11 and 16, I spent an hour each day in prayer, afterwhich I would enter the number of days, months and years i'd gained in indulgences in a little book. Oh believe me, I went for the high-indulgence-value ones...

I can tell you that if you have not prayed them, then you have no way of knowing. As for the promises, I have seen many miracles as a result of some of those prayers. I find there is as much power in them as the prayers we use from the Byzantine Church for the saints.
I have no doubt when it comes to the power of prayer...

The focus is totally on Christ death and ressurection how can that be wrong?
It's not the prayers that I have a problem with - it's the promises that're printed and circulated. The prayers themselves are very beautiful and I think they are wonderful examples of mediaeval devotion.

Ed, I am sorry that any intercession of the saints would offend you.
My gripe is with the promises, which are pure superstition - they're reproduced below.

Our Lord grants these promises to all who devoutly recite the 15 Saint Bridget Prayers every day for a year:

1. I will deliver 15 souls of his lineage from Purgatory.

2. 15 souls of his lineage will be confirmed and preserved in grace.

3. 15 sinners of his lineage will be converted.

4. Whoever recites these Prayers will attain the first degree of perfection.

5. 15 days before his death I will give him My Precious Body in order that he may escape eternal starvation; I will give him My Precious Blood to drink lest he thirst eternally.

6. 15 days before his death he will feel a deep contrition for all his sins and will have a perfect knowledge of them.

7. I will place before him the sign of My Victorious Cross for his help and defense against the attacks of his enemies.

8. Before his death I shall come with My Dearest Beloved Mother.

9. I shall graciously receive his soul, and will lead it into eternal joys.

10. And having led it there I shall give him a special draught from the fountain of My Deity, something I will not for those who have not recited My Prayers.

11. Let it be known that whoever may have been living in a state of mortal sin for 30 years, but who will recite devoutly, or have the intention to recite these Prayers, the Lord will forgive him all his sins.

12. I shall protect him from strong temptations.

13. I shall preserve and guard his 5 senses.

14. I shall preserve him from a sudden death.

15. His soul will be delivered from eternal death.

16. He will obtain all he asks for from God and the Blessed Virgin.

17. If he has lived all his life doing his own will and he is to die the next day, his life will be prolonged.

18. Every time one recites these Prayers he gains 100 days indulgence.

19. He is assured of being joined to the supreme Choir of Angels.

20. Whoever teaches these Prayers to another, will have continuous joy and merit which will endure eternally.

21. There where these Prayers are being said or will be said in the future God is present with His grace.

E
E
These promises were not given to St. Bridget nor do they have any ecclesiastical standing whatsoever.

It is regrettable that these promises are still published in prayer books these days. It really spoils the prayers by including what amounts to little more than superstition, not to mention being contrary to Church Law to do so. The Congregation of the Holy Office prohibited the publication of the promises since the promises have no merit to them. The following notice was given in the AAS XLVI (1954), 64:

ACTA APOSTOLICAE SEDIS
SUPREMA SACRA CONGREGATIO S. OFFICII
MONITUM

In aliquibus locis divulgatum est opusculum quoddam, cui titulus "SECRETUM FELICITATIS - Quindecim orationes a Domino S. Birgittae in ecclesia S. Pauli, Romae, revelatae", Niceae ad Varum (et alibi), variis linguis editum.

Cum vero in eodem libello asseratur S. Birgittae quasdam promissiones a Deo fuisse factas, de quarum origine supernaturali nullo modo constat, caveant Ordinarii locorum ne licentiam concedant edendi vel denuo impremendi opuscula vel scripta quae praedictas promissiones continent.

Datum Romae, ex Aedibus S. Officii, die 28 Ianuarii 1954.
Marius Crovini, Supremae S. Congr. S. Officii Notarius

Acts of the Holy See
Congregation of the Holy Office
Warning

In some places, a certain little work has been disseminated called the "Secret of Happiness: 15 Prayers Revealed by the Lord to St. Bridget in the Church of St. Paul at Rome", published at Nice and various other places in several languages.

Since it is asserted in this pamphlet that God made to St. Bridget certain promises, whose supernatural origin in no way stands up, let local ordinaries take care not to grant permission for publishing or reprinting pamphlets or other writings which contain these aforementioned promises.

Given at Rome, from the offices of the Holy Office, 28 , January 1954
Marius Crovini, Notary of the Supreme Holy, Congregation of the Holy Office

Some recent publications of the promises have made various claims about past popes approving their publication, however, such claims are quite false. No authentic records of such approvals of the promises themselves exist.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thesaurus/thesaurus/Filius/StBrigid.html

OP Offline
Hey Ed,

I appreciate that information. It sounds like they were a big part in the formation of your faith.

I guess I don't pay attention to the promises. I figure if you are glorifying God, then He is going to take care of your needs. These words are from man as far as promises. Scripture says if we are faithful to Him, then he will take care of our needs and concerns. That is all I need to know.

The St. Bridget prayers are very hard for people to do in the natural. But, when God calls you to them, they are easy and love and joy pours forth from them. There is a group of us in the chat room I go to http://www.churchbulletin.com and we pray them in voice chat almost every evening around ten or eleven. The things that are happening in our lives and those that we are praying for is very remarkable. It is like a super natural order is taking place all around us. Things that people have tried to fix or straighten out for years, just order is happening, it is awesome! I am sure the total focus on Jesus passion plays such a big part in God answering the prayers.

I am sorry if I jumped at you, but I see the prayers, and it's happenings and not the promises. His promises in His Word are enough that it makes the others un-necessary.

Thanks for your witness.
Rose

L
L
We just had severe weather in the Metro South Chicago area. Less than an hour ago we were hit by hail, half an inch in diameter. I lit up the palms, and the hail stopped very abruptly. About 15 minutes later we were hit again with hail, pouring rain and high winds. This time I lighted the pussy willows, and almost immediately the weather calmed. I'm beginning to think their is something to this tradition. By the way the palms and pussy willows came from a Byzantine Rite Church.

B
B
I have heard the claim about burning bits of palms from Palm Sunday during storms. An elderly priest told me about his mother doing that since they lived in an area prone to severe storms. He swore it worked and I tend to believe him.

Now as for myself, I use my grandfather's toothache remedy - pour half a pint of whiskey on the affected part, then drink the other half. I find it quite calming. wink

single
single
I dont think the church sanction this kind of practices after vatican council 2....

I find it really strange....such practices...

L
L
All the more reason to do it. Besides, I'm convinced it works.

single
single
well..if it work it works...

Hmmmm come to think of it ..THE CHARMED , phoebe, page and hmmm whose the other piper.. they sure got the power of charmed...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.