The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Virginia, Raúl Fernández, cjd2012, blessingprayer, James19
6,064 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,427
Posts416,966
Members6,064
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Holy Resurrection Monastery [hrmonline.org] is in the process of seeking a jurisdictional switch from the Byzantine Catholic Church to the Romanian Catholic Church, due to difficulties in their relationship with Bishop Skurla.

This is a tragedy. We need monasteries as part of the renewal of our church. How can we be faithful to our heritage if we drive monasteries away?

Perhaps someone can ask the Eparchy of Van Nuys [eparchy-of-van-nuys.org] why this is happening. It shouldn't happen!

Why do you assume the Bishop is the one who is at fault? Monasteries, while they are often a backbone of the Church, also have a history of conflicting with the Church as well. I do not know the situation to know exactly what is going on, but I think we must respect our hierarchs and not assume.

U
U
I wonder if the liturgical rubrics change had anything to do with their wanting to leave the Ruthenian Metrpolia? That makes two monasteries
that have left the Metropolia within two years, doesn't sound good for a church struggling to survive.

Ungcsertezs

B
B
Does anyone have any information on what's behind this? What was the other monastery that left, and why did it leave?

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Has anyone considered the possibility that there may be conflict because Bishop Skurla was once a Franciscan but is now dealing with Basilians? Holy Resurrection Monastery is sui iuris, too.

Plus, the Franciscans are a community, linked with each other. Basilians are independent. The Franciscans are friars and as such are active in the local diocese, but the Basilians are monks and perform a different role in the diocese. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about the role of monks in the eparchy. What if Fr. X is going on vacation but there's no one to fill in, should the Bishop be able to recruit a priest monk for it?

I doubt it has to do with the new liturgy. I think too many people are fixated on this.

Dear Friends,

Well, we had a Studite monastery up here in Orangeville that now only has one priest.

According to my bishop, some of them returned to Ukraine while others joined the ROCOR.

Recently, our downtown mission, run by a former Italo-Greek Catholic priest, has become Orthodox (EP).

The unfortunate downside to all this, apart from the obvious, is that it gives support to those in the UGCC who feel that greater "Easternization" will eventually lead to "Orthodoxization."

At least your monastery is remaining Catholic and you can still attend it and receive the Mysteries there!

Look on the bright side!

Alex

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Originally posted by domilsean:
Has anyone considered the possibility that there may be conflict because Bishop Skurla was once a Franciscan but is now dealing with Basilians? Holy Resurrection Monastery is sui iuris, too.

Plus, the Franciscans are a community, linked with each other. Basilians are independent. The Franciscans are friars and as such are active in the local diocese, but the Basilians are monks and perform a different role in the diocese. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about the role of monks in the eparchy. What if Fr. X is going on vacation but there's no one to fill in, should the Bishop be able to recruit a priest monk for it?

I doubt it has to do with the new liturgy. I think too many people are fixated on this.
Bishop William, Franciscan
Bishop John, Franciscan
Metropolitan Basil, Franciscan

As Domilsean put it there seems to be more to do with jurisdiction. When HRM was established,Met. Judson and Bishop George were very supportive. After Bishop Goerge retired support for HRM waned and has continued to wane under Bishop William.

It is indeed a tragedy on many levels. First for the Ruthenian church which very sorely needs the spiritual guidance of a GROWING monastery. and second that different religious communities are competetive rather than cooperative. Competition in spiritual values as well as plain monetary support.

I personally am saddened at the news having visited there many times during the pilgrimage.

Rather than dragging them into the mud of conspiracy theories, we should fervently PRAY for, AND SUPPORT, Holy Resurrection Monastery.

I know Hegumen Nicholas would not make such a decision lightly.

I would hope that such a transfer could be avoided for the sake of the Ruthenian church.

Steve

Of the three Bishops named only Metropolitan Basil is still in the OFM. Both Bishop William and Bishop John left the OFM and TOR respectively and became eparchial clergy before their elevation to the episcopacy. Holy Resurrection is not Basilian but is simply a traditional Byzantine Monastery with its own typicon. While sui iuris, it is a monastery of Eparchial right and does answer to the eparchial bishop to an extent.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
YES.

This morning while I was still up, very early our time, I happened to notice Fr. Maximos was visiting the forum.

God grant them many years. May our Good Lord guide them and hopefully they will remain with the Ruthenian Byzantines or at least maintain a good relationship and be restored one day.

sam Offline
That makes two monasteries
that have left the Metropolia within two years
What is the second monastery? If you are referring to the one in Florida- I don't necessarily think that was a bad thing.

Sam

If this is indeed true--it is a HUGE tragedy for the Ruthenian GC Church here in the USA. I visited HRM a couple of years ago, and it is a treasure. The monks were so wonderful and welcoming and spiritual. The place "felt" like a monastery. It was Dormition when I was there--and was able to attend the full round of services. That was a real pleasure.

God grant them many years!

J
J
What will happen to the women's monastic community in Van Nuys?

J
J
Originally posted by Pseudo-Athanasius:
Holy Resurrection Monastery[/URL] is in the process of seeking a jurisdictional switch from the Byzantine Catholic Church to the Romanian Catholic Church, due to difficulties in their relationship with Bishop Skurla.

This is a tragedy. We need monasteries as part of the renewal of our church. How can we be faithful to our heritage if we drive monasteries away?
First, how do you know this is true? Where do you get your information?

Second, if it is true, then more power to the Romanians.

Third, who is driving monasteries away? It all depends on perspective. The monastery might have ALREADY arrived.

Joe

OP Offline
J Thur,

I know it is true from multiple sources, both Ruthenian and Romanian.

Some of those can confirm it here in this forum.

I wish I didn't know that it was true.

D
djs Offline
D
From our declaration of independence

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, ... a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
I hope that if a jurisdictional hop is being undertaken, that the monastery will show a "decent respect", particularly to those who have supported it, to make some account of the causes that impel them. Absent that, people cannot develop an informed opinion about the problems that we might be facing, and how to address them; but rumors will fly.

The Miami case that has been mentioned is an excellent example . There are some facts at least documented at Pokrov.org. I hope very much that this case has little in common with that one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.