The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Virginia, Raúl Fernández, cjd2012, blessingprayer, James19
6,064 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,427
Posts416,966
Members6,064
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Hard feelings seem to be present in the texture of the previous posts. What is missing is a sense of joy. I pray that all parties may find a resolution to any misinterpretation, canonical or otherwise. To hear monks and deacons throw mud at each other is a sorry state of affair for us all. Is this a tiny reflection on the temperments being exchanged between the monastery and the eparchy? Sarcasm, whether veiled or unwarranted, is just that, sarcasm.

Praying for a resolve,
Joe

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Deacon John wrote:

My point was to confront those who have stated now and in the past that Bishop William is looking to rid the eparchy of a monastic presence. That there is some disagreement, as Father Maximos has stated, over the interpetation of the Code, should not lead to the accusation that Bishop William is somehow an "enemy" of monasticism.

A few thoughts on the situation:

Though the PERCEPTION may appear that there is antipathy toward the monastery, it may be more a case of ambivalence, which in itself begs questions. it is the perceived ambivalence that draws the conclusion that the Van Nuys Eparchy doesn't really care to have a monastery in their midst. This seems to run parallel with the liturgical changes looming: a lack of communication leads to rumors which tend to worsen the situation.
I hope and pray that there will be a peaceful and equitable solution to the situation. My own personal desires would have them stay within the Ruthenian Eparchy. But who am I to argue with the greater picture which may work out better that they go with the Romanian church.
Too many times I find that what I want and what is best are not the same and like the monks I must be patient while waiting for the outcome.

Steve
unworthy cantor

P.S. while we wait, Support Holy Resurrection Monastery. Donate!Pray!griping here will solve nothing.

P
Former
Former
P
Originally posted by Deacon John Montalvo:
Do not the monks of HRM continue to pray the cycle of liturgical services and continue to be a very visible witness of Byzantine monasticism? Is this not the essence of the monastic vocation?
Father John, Christ is Risen!
I would contend that neither of these is even a necessary part of, much less the essence of, monasticism. Many monks live as hermits or in communities smaller than monasteries, and these monks typically participate in few or no liturgical services. Monks renounce the world and withdraw from it; ideally, they witness nothing of their own volition.

Photius

XB!

Ahhh, Photius, you are on to something indeed. I think radical metanoia is the essence of the "monastic vocation" if it has to be condensed. Witness, "martyr" in its best sense, is what you describe in renunciation. Or perhaps even better, the first four steps of the Ladder of St. John Climacus - renunciation of life, detachment, exile, and obedience.

B
B
I, for one, would like to see these authentic Eastern monasteries flourish and prosper. I would also like to see most, if not all, of our future bishops come from them. That system has worked well for the Orthodox. I think conservative Eastern monastics could do a better job of fighting off Latinizations (Protestantizations, too) than bishops from orders that are essentially Latin to begin with. Granted, there are always exceptions and no perfect system exists anywhere for getting great bishops.

Originally posted by J Thur:
Hard feelings seem to be present in the texture of the previous posts. What is missing is a sense of joy. I pray that all parties may find a resolution to any misinterpretation, canonical or otherwise. To hear monks and deacons throw mud at each other is a sorry state of affair for us all. Is this a tiny reflection on the temperments being exchanged between the monastery and the eparchy? Sarcasm, whether veiled or unwarranted, is just that, sarcasm.

Praying for a resolve,
Joe
Joe,

rest assured that resolution will come. Monasticism will be restored authentically in the Eastern Catholic Churches. So there certainly is cause for joy. As for your mud slinging comment, I disagree. Remember your history, there has always been tension among the bishop, the monastics, and secular clergy. This should tell you our monastery sui juris is coming of age. biggrin

I know Father Maximos and I bear no ill will toward each other. We are brothers, and more than anyone here he knows very well the support I have given to the monastery. So please don't read into our exchange that this is a microcosm of any misperceived relationship between the monastery and the eparchy.

Admin,

thank you for pointing out my blunder in the PM. My question regarding the Church's being richer was not sarcasm. Sometimes we look only at the long beards and monastic garb, and think that is the sign of monasticism. Of course, monasticism is more than long beards and "funny" garb. Pseudo-Athanasius provided a good response.

D
djs Offline
D
I would also like to see most, if not all, of our future bishops come from [Eastern monasteries]. That system has worked well for the Orthodox.
My curiousity is aroused by this comment. Is this practice actually adhered to by the Orthodox? In the US for example, what portion of Orthodox bishops had genuine formation in an Orthodox monastery (as opposed to formal induction shortly before enthronement)? Ditto for world Orthodoxy.

P
Former
Former
P
Originally posted by djs:
I would also like to see most, if not all, of our future bishops come from [Eastern monasteries]. That system has worked well for the Orthodox.
My curiousity is aroused by this comment. Is this practice actually adhered to by the Orthodox? In the US for example, what portion of Orthodox bishops had genuine formation in an Orthodox monastery (as opposed to formal induction shortly before enthronement)? Ditto for world Orthodoxy.
Christ is Risen!
In Orthodoxy, very few bishops were tonsured monks "shortly before enthronement" (i.e., after election to the episcopate), but many never lived in a monastery for any appreciable period of time, having been tonsured rassophore monks in preparation of ordination.
What percentage of bishops were tonsured monks in a monastery with the intent of living in a monastery for life? That depends on the jurisdiction. In Russia and Serbia, for example, it is nearly 100%. In Greece a century ago, most bishops came from Athos, but today civil law requires a university degree in theology and very few bishops come from monasteries.
I do not know the meaning of "formation" as you use it, although I've seen it used a number of times in this forum, leading me to assume it's an RC term. I can say that whatever you mean by "genuine formation in an Orthodox monastery (as opposed to formal induction ... " is irrelevant to being a monk because in the Orthodox Church, the tonsuring of a monk or nun is a sacramental ceremony, and one is a monk by virtue thereof, without regard to having ever set foot in a monastic institution.

Photius

D
djs Offline
D
Thanks for your reply Photius.
By shortly, I didn't mean to imply after election. And I didn't mean anything technical by "formation"; your remark
tonsured monks in a monastery with the intent of living in a monastery for life
pretty much sums it up what I was thinking. I take your point that it is the sacrmental reality rather than the spirtual journey of monastery life that is the essence of this practice.

J
J
Originally posted by Deacon John Montalvo:
rest assured that resolution will come. Monasticism will be restored authentically in the Eastern Catholic Churches. So there certainly is cause for joy. As for your mud slinging comment, I disagree. Remember your history, there has always been tension among the bishop, the monastics, and secular clergy. This should tell you our monastery sui juris is coming of age. biggrin
Most excellent.

F
F
Father John is right on all counts. All will be well. The support of friends like him assures me that monasticism is really valued in our Churches.

unworthy monk Maximos

J
J
Dear Moderator,

Can this thread now be closed?

Joe

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.