The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 588 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
It should be, if a deacon is serving..
Master give the Blessing...... at the beginning of the Liturgy..
Also during the proskomedia, there are times that say master bless.. and during the liturgy.. the deacon says... Master do this or that.............
Why not so in the new liturgy?

I believe the feeling was master should be reserved to the bishop.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
F
F
So "the feeling" is more important than accuracy?

Fr. Serge

E
E
That's ridiculous. 'Eulog�son, Despota' should ALWAYS be 'Master, bless' or 'Master, give the blessing'. Which bunch of illiterates is responsible for this tomfoolery?

B
B
Archbishop Joseph Raya?

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Somewhere, in the past(unfortunately, I forget where), I read a defense of the use of the term "Master" in a Divine Liturgy served by only a priest. The essence was that, the Bishop, who has the fullness of priesthood, or the simple priest, who shares in that priesthood, in the celebration of the Divine Liturgy, is an "alter Christus",or "another Christ", and that when we address the Bishop, or priest, in the Divine Liturgy, as "Master", or "Vladyko", we are actually addressing Christ. I am a bit tentative on this, not remembering where I read it. Perhaps someone can be of help on this.

Dn. Robert

L
lm Offline
L
So "the feeling" is more important than accuracy?

Moderns have a great sixth sense to determine what men really mean when they are being accurate. What if only women were present at the Divine Liturgy (and I count that as a real possibility) and the term master was used? Now that would be sexist statement!

E
E
Originally Posted by ByzKat
Archbishop Joseph Raya?

Really? Oh well, nobody's infallible, not even the Pope of Rome!

So, when the priest serves, he says master bless? When? It is the deacon's part to ask for the blessing. The priest is serving in stead of the bishop. That is why the blessing is directed to the bishop (master) and not father.

John

ajk Offline
To the extent that the Passaic 1997 Liturgicon and practices can be seen as anticipating the 2007 Liturgicon, the trend would be that "Most Reverend Bishop" is used instead of "Master" for the bishop. Thus, for instance:

Lord have mercy.(3) Most Reverend Bishop give the blessing.

There is some precedent for this in the Ruthenian Recension. It the pre-1965 books: "Many years O master" was sung before "We have seen the true Light" This was removed for the same reason.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
It should be <Blagoslovi Vladyko> or <Mater Bless> even when there is no Bishop. At least as far as I know.

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Yes, it the bishop doesn't have to be there. It's always Master give the Blessing!

Perhaps certain people have a problem with the word Master (when referring to a person, not God) and its connotations? Maybe the BCC is now a much friendlier place and has dispensed with such rigid and unequal relationships.

Last edited by KO63AP; 05/23/07 01:54 AM.
B
B
Perhaps, or perhaps not. It could be that Archbishop Raya or Fr. Kucharek could have been closet modernists, or radical feminists. But the fact that both of them declined to use "Master" might indicate that there are other arguments involved.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.