The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 588 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
W
Is there some amount of prestige I am unaware of that the Syriac Catholics hold in translation to make their practices worthy of notation?

Or is the point that if other people make the same mistake it becomes OK for us? I can't help but hear my mother in my head, "If the Syriac Catholics jumped off a bridge would you do it, too? You know that two wrongs don't make a right!"

This says to me that it is all the more important that we get things right because others out there are not going to do it for us.

P
PrJ Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. No one could accuse the Syriac Catholic Church of being unduly influenced by modern feminist agendas. Let me rephrase that -- it would be hard for me to imagine someone honestly thinking that the Syriac Catholic Church is on a feminist road-map to feminist heresy (you have to know something about the Syriac Catholic Church and its adherence to tradition to understand how absurd that kind of objection would be) -- so therefore it is quite possible that the translation "for us ..." is the best translation and not an indication of some "feminist" take-over of the Ruthenian Church.

Originally Posted by theophan
Just did a line-by-line comparison of this translation and, except for the deletion of "men," it is exactly the same one used in the Latin Church. It's ICEL's version from the 1974 Roman Missal.

Thought I felt a little deja-vu.

BOB

Bob, that is correct - and as I mentioned my little Syriac-English pew book also includes "men".

Indeed - and using that logic perhaps we should also use "we believe", and also add the Filioque since they are both included in this particular unofficial English translation.

I don't think so - nor do I think anyone outside of a few (and most of those involved in developing the New Rite) really think the new translation to be the "best" in any sense of the word. Grasping for one obscure usage to justify in a larger context as normative just doesn't carry much water.

John
John
Originally Posted by PrJ
I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. No one could accuse the Syriac Catholic Church of being unduly influenced by modern feminist agendas. Let me rephrase that -- it would be hard for me to imagine someone honestly thinking that the Syriac Catholic Church is on a feminist road-map to feminist heresy (you have to know something about the Syriac Catholic Church and its adherence to tradition to understand how absurd that kind of objection would be) -- so therefore it is quite possible that the translation "for us ..." is the best translation and not an indication of some "feminist" take-over of the Ruthenian Church.
I agree with PrJ that the Syriac Catholic Church has probably not been unduly influenced by modern feminist agendas. But the translators may think that such ways are acceptable (or even preferred) given that ICEL spouted such nonsense for years. [Praise God that Rome fixed the problem with its reconfiguration of ICEL and creation of the Vox Clara Committe!]

Bob (theophan) has pointed out that it is ICEL�s version from the 1974 Roman Missal with the removal of the word �men�. This suggests to me that it is far more likely that whoever prepared the text for the web simply took ICEL�s working text for the Latin Church and went with it. If translated it is also possible the translators fell into the same error that our translation committee and PrJ have fallen into. I am saddened to find that some clergy (and even our bishops) continue to reject Vatican teaching on this issue since it only adds to the myriad number of problems with this Revised Liturgy that is forcing me and so many others out of the Ruthenian Church. [I know that there was leeway before Liturgiam Authenticam [vatican.va] in 2001 but things are very clear now and the texts should have been made accurate.]

I think it is unwise to draw any conclusions about the intent of the translators without asking them (or their bishops).

I did a quick search and found that the Syriac Catholic website ( http://www.syriac-catholic.org ) uses the same text (maybe PrJ can tell us where he got his text from?) and there is nothing to indicate it is an official text. We recently had people claiming that the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese had embraced gender-neutral language when someone posted the Creed from their website with �for us and our salvation�. I understand that when it was brought to the attention of the webmaster he immediately replaced it with the official text (which correctly states �who for us men and our salvation�). I also found the Syrian Orthodox website ( http://sor.cua.edu ) and it does include the word �men� in this context.

http://www.syriac-catholic.org is the source of the text I was referring to in my posts (sorry for not being more specific) as having no indication of being an official one by Mar Ephrem Joseph or Patriarch Ignatius. It is also not the version in my pew book (which includes "for us men").

I suspected that site to be the source of the discussion on this thread as the Syriac Orthodox texts available on their website read "Who for us men" at http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Anaphora/PubCeleb.html

"I know that there was leeway before Liturgiam Authenticam in 2001 but things are very clear now and the texts should have been made accurate."

Even after LA the Vatican approved the Corrected Revised NAB lectionary which still has some inclusive language and the American Latin Bihsops have sent to to Rome for apporval of their revised Missal which also has "for us". If this gets approval, and at this point I see it as 50/50 chance if they got to keep inclusive language in the Lectionary, people who kept harping about LA are going to appear unsupported in their criticisms. On the other hand they may be vindicated, but if inclusive language survived LA in the Lectionary I think it has a good chance in the Missal.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
John
John
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Even after LA the Vatican approved the Corrected Revised NAB lectionary which still has some inclusive language and the American Latin Bihsops have sent to to Rome for apporval of their revised Missal which also has "for us". If this gets approval, and at this point I see it as 50/50 chance if they got to keep inclusive language in the Lectionary, people who kept harping about LA are going to appear unsupported in their criticisms. On the other hand they may be vindicated, but if inclusive language survived LA in the Lectionary I think it has a good chance in the Missal.
Yes, the Vatican did allow approval for some texts using gender-neutral language through. But they did make it clear they were not happy with it. We see it in that the Vatican will not allow the USCCB to print the �Revised Amended Revised New American Bible� as a complete Bible and that the current lectionary used in the U.S. RC parishes will get another review. We also see that in Canada the Vatican disallowed their use of the NRSV because of the doctrinal problems with the gender-neutral language it employed (Canada has fixed it and supposedly corrected the problems and won Vatican approval but now there is the question of whether the National Council of Churches (which holds the copyright) will allow it). I do know there is a significant push in the USCCB to allow the use of the RSV-CE Lectionary (the one approved by the episcopal conference in the Antilles). But the issue here is the $$ the USCCB makes from copyright royalties. It looks more and more like they will simply correct the RAR-NAB so as not to loose $$. But the Vatican has been pushing for a single version of the Scriptures for each language and we know that Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) personally insisted on the RSV for almost all the Scripture quotes in the Catholic Catechism and chose the RSV-CE2 for his excellent book "The Spirit of the Liturgy" (2000). There is plenty of fuel for hope of orthodoxy!

But even if Rome finally approves the removal of the English word for �anthropos� (which is "men") from the English translation of the Creed that does not mean people like me will appear unsupported in our criticisms. It is all but impossible to appear unsupported when you have people like Cardinal Est�vez in the corner of orthodoxy:

In 2002 Jorge A. Cardinal Medina Est�vez, Prefect, Congregation of Divine Worship, spoke to this issue for the Latin Church in Observations on the English-language Translation of the Roman Missal:

III. Examples of problems related to questions of "inclusive language" and of the use of masculine and feminine terms

A. In an effort to avoid completely the use of the term "man" as a translation of the Latin homo, the translation often fails to convey the true content of that Latin term, and limits itself to a focus on the congregation actually present or to those presently living. The simultaneous reference to the unity and the collectivity of the human race is lost. The term "humankind", coined for purposes of "inclusive language", remains somewhat faddish and ill-adapted to the liturgical context, and, in addition, it is usually too abstract to convey the notion of the Latin homo. The latter, just as the English "man", which some appear to have made the object of a taboo, are able to express in a collective but also concrete and personal manner the notion of a partner with God in a Covenant who gratefully receives from him the gifts of forgiveness and Redemption. At least in many instances, an abstract or binomial expression cannot achieve the same effect.

B. In the Creed, which has unfortunately also maintained the first-person plural "We believe" instead of the first-person singular of the Latin and of the Roman liturgical tradition, the above-mentioned tendency to omit the term "men" has effects that are theologically grave. This text - "For us and for our salvation" - no longer clearly refers to the salvation of all, but apparently only that of those who are present. The "us" thereby becomes potentially exclusive rather than inclusive.

I thought the USCCB was the one refusing to print the Corrected Revised NAB as a Bible because while they had to accept the corrections for Lectionary use they weren't going to allow the corrections into the Bible for general use.

John
John
I thought the USCCB was the one refusing to print the Corrected Revised NAB as a Bible because while they had to accept the corrections for Lectionary use they weren't going to allow the corrections into the Bible for general use.
Yes, the Vatican is insisting on corrections they don�t want to make so they can't publish what they want. You�re saying the same thing.

But don�t miss one of the main points I made. Even if Rome finally approves the removal of the English word for �anthropos� (which is "men") from the English translation of the Creed that does not mean people like me will appear unsupported in our criticisms (as you stated). It is all but impossible to appear unsupported when you have people like Cardinal Est�vez in the corner of orthodoxy. And the Church will always be open to making corrections in translations. Many of us have already appealed the problems with the new Ruthenian Revised Divine Liturgy.

John,

Maybe unsupported is the wrong word. As I see it, if LA is cited as the reason why men should'nt be dropped and then the Pope who gives LA its authority and has the right to interpret it approves dropping men, then it appears Cardinal Estevez and other haves wrongly interpreted LA, as far as the Creed is concerned.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Maybe unsupported is the wrong word. As I see it, if LA is cited as the reason why men should'nt be dropped and then the Pope who gives LA its authority and has the right to interpret it approves dropping men, then it appears Cardinal Estevez and other haves wrongly interpreted LA, as far as the Creed is concerned.
Hmmm. Let me see if I got this right.

Pope Benedict seems relatively clear about inclusive language in LA. However, he either was not serious about what he wrote, or multitudes are misinterpreting it. If the document means what it says, and the Pope approves inclusive language, then he has done 180 degree reversal. If he meant what he says and does not approve inclusive language, then our hierarchs are being disobedient. If LA does not mean what it says, then Cardinal Estevez has completely misunderstood the document. crazy

Holy Orthodox keeps looking better everyday. grin

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Recluse

I see the grin but let me say that my first encounter with the dropping of men/Mankind involved a translation by Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary. For the record, I include below (since it and its archives are no longer active) my post to the old cineast list. Note the date -- coming up to the 10th anniversary!

Dn. Anthony

cineast post

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 97 13:10:46 EDT
Subject: Re: translation

In the latest issue of the magazine *Touchstone*, a faculty member of Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology writes a letter defending their translation of the Divine Liturgy, and the translators, from the criticisms voiced in a previous article. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to look up the article (although I was in a library), but if I remember correctly, it was by one of the magazine's editors, Fr. Reardon. Also, I had myself been mulling over the Holy Cross translation, especially since the posts by Daniel Joseph and Stephen (above).

What is the consequence of "dropping" or "altering" a word in translation? Is it good if it is done to be "gender neutral" or "politically correct"? Does it correct a gender bias in our language, or does it "correct" an invented bias that was never there to begin with? Does it, only too often, produce poor theology in bad prose?

Generally, I don't like to see words just go away. The Greek of the Creed could have said *for us*, but it says, literally, *on account of us (the) men=human beings*; that is, *di' humas tous anthropous*. *anthropous*, masculine accusative plural, has gender like *men*, but the Greek has the sense of *human beings* who are either just male or male and female collectively. This was also the customary understanding of the English *for us men*, meaning, *for us human beings*.

The reason I don't like to see words dropped is that, for me, they break links to other references, spawned by these words, in scripture and the liturgy. One of my occasional pastimes is following a word "link". I don't claim this is done in any rigorous way either linguistically, theologically, or exegetically; it's done more in the sense of casual browsing and meditating. A very common and general word, like *anthropos*=man, would, for example, have a great many profound and also mundane "links".

In the case of the creed itself, it seems that a certain closure is lost when the word *men* is dropped and a link is broken. That is, the phrase reads: "Who for us MEN (anthropous) and for our salvation came down out of the heavens and was enfleshed out of the Holy Spirit and Mary the Virgin and BECAME MAN (enanthropesanta). Thus we profess in the creed that Jesus, who consistently referred to Himself as the *Son of MAN*, "for us MEN...BECAME MAN."

Of course, the "link" is still there in the original Greek even if not explicitly in the English translation. But, even prior to Daniel Joseph's post, I had been disappointed by another rendering in the Holy Cross translation (which, by the way, in other aspects I think is very good). It involves a word/phrase that I consider one of the most beautiful in the liturgy (in the Ruthenian translation) and which seems to have been virtually obliterated, or so absorbed into other words in the Holy Cross translation, that it is almost unrecognizable. For me, it is a one word prayer and, coincidentally, it is "linked" to the missing *anthropous* of the creed. That word, which is often present in prayers addressed to Jesus in the liturgy, is *philanthropos* -- Christ our God, the one true and great "philanthropist," so beautifully proclaimed (but not in the Holy Cross translation) as the *lover of MANKIND*.

Tony Kotlar

Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Recluse

I see the grin but let me say that my first encounter with the dropping of men/Mankind involved a translation by Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary. For the record, I include below (since it and its archives are no longer active) my post to the old cineast list. Note the date -- coming up to the 10th anniversary!

Dn. Anthony

cineast post

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 97 13:10:46 EDT
Subject: Re: translation

In the latest issue of the magazine *Touchstone*, a faculty member of Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology writes a letter defending their translation of the Divine Liturgy, and the translators, from the criticisms voiced in a previous article. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to look up the article (although I was in a library), but if I remember correctly, it was by one of the magazine's editors, Fr. Reardon. Also, I had myself been mulling over the Holy Cross translation, especially since the posts by Daniel Joseph and Stephen (above).

What is the consequence of "dropping" or "altering" a word in translation? Is it good if it is done to be "gender neutral" or "politically correct"? Does it correct a gender bias in our language, or does it "correct" an invented bias that was never there to begin with? Does it, only too often, produce poor theology in bad prose?

Generally, I don't like to see words just go away. The Greek of the Creed could have said *for us*, but it says, literally, *on account of us (the) men=human beings*; that is, *di' humas tous anthropous*. *anthropous*, masculine accusative plural, has gender like *men*, but the Greek has the sense of *human beings* who are either just male or male and female collectively. This was also the customary understanding of the English *for us men*, meaning, *for us human beings*.

The reason I don't like to see words dropped is that, for me, they break links to other references, spawned by these words, in scripture and the liturgy. One of my occasional pastimes is following a word "link". I don't claim this is done in any rigorous way either linguistically, theologically, or exegetically; it's done more in the sense of casual browsing and meditating. A very common and general word, like *anthropos*=man, would, for example, have a great many profound and also mundane "links".

In the case of the creed itself, it seems that a certain closure is lost when the word *men* is dropped and a link is broken. That is, the phrase reads: "Who for us MEN (anthropous) and for our salvation came down out of the heavens and was enfleshed out of the Holy Spirit and Mary the Virgin and BECAME MAN (enanthropesanta). Thus we profess in the creed that Jesus, who consistently referred to Himself as the *Son of MAN*, "for us MEN...BECAME MAN."

Of course, the "link" is still there in the original Greek even if not explicitly in the English translation. But, even prior to Daniel Joseph's post, I had been disappointed by another rendering in the Holy Cross translation (which, by the way, in other aspects I think is very good). It involves a word/phrase that I consider one of the most beautiful in the liturgy (in the Ruthenian translation) and which seems to have been virtually obliterated, or so absorbed into other words in the Holy Cross translation, that it is almost unrecognizable. For me, it is a one word prayer and, coincidentally, it is "linked" to the missing *anthropous* of the creed. That word, which is often present in prayers addressed to Jesus in the liturgy, is *philanthropos* -- Christ our God, the one true and great "philanthropist," so beautifully proclaimed (but not in the Holy Cross translation) as the *lover of MANKIND*.

Tony Kotlar

Well. An old friend told me that it was Tony Kotlar I was talking to on the Forum, but I had nearly forgotten all but the old familiarity of the name.

Now my memory is refreshing.

That is quite a tragedy that those old cineast archives are gone, or inaccessible. There was a wealth of information that was lost on that sad day of removal, not the least of which being the human connection.

There is great irony in your post, Deacon Anthony, for all that you call our attention to has been distorted in the Ruined Divine Liturgy of the Byzantine Metropolia.

God's blessings, and forgive my weak memory. I'd like to blame it on age or the speed with which life carries us along, but I am afraid it is a weakness that is without excuse.

Mary

Originally Posted by PrJ
Father, Bless.

I've been looking all over the place to find the history of the Syriac Catholic Church in America; I've also been trying to contact the mission in Chicago, but have so far been unable - there is no contact information.

I have a question though - are the Syriac Catholics a good example of sticking to their liturgical Tradition? Aren't they heavily latinized, as well as francocized?

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 06/14/07 02:22 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.