The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 589 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Originally Posted by Zeeker
"Theotokos" is literally �birth-giver of God�
I thought that Theotokos meant "God-bearer" [which might be emphasizing her pregnancy] which leads to "Birthgiver of God" and "Mother of God" as titles.

D
D
To be honest, I am absolutely blown-away by the detailed and studied use of the various languages by the participants on this thread. It points out something that linguists learn early on in their studies: Languages change, both from forces within the language community as well as from borrowings. The former is demonstrated by the varous accents that occur in a language, i.e., American English, and the latter by the acquisition of words like 'taco', pizza, lager beer, brats, etc. (OK, I'm of Greek background - food is critical!!)

So, in the Christian community, we too evolve. We use neologisms from our own community and also terms from 'foreign' sources that are applicable to our current circumstances.

English speakers cannot in any way avoid the influence of the English speaking church, including the Protestants: 'Thy will be done..." (Catholics were still using Latin only at the time of the rendering!) as well as grabbing terms from the various ethnic communities that constitute Catholo-Orthodoxy, including proto-Christian Hebrew, Greek and Latin as well as the Greater Slavonia.

The real question is, what do we do now in 2007 in North American English speaking communities? How much do we officially include in the liturgical texts from the various sources?

The first guideline (from the Church) is: see what the Orthodox do in terms of language, liturgical praxis and customs. The Holy See clearly intends that Eastern Catholic churches be indistinguishable from our Orthodox counterparts so that when reunion comes (Please God, may it be soon) we are all integrable into a Universal church as TRUE representatives of the various 'particular' churches. (Hate that term.)

The second guideline, from Vatican II, is that the Liturgy must catechize the Truths of the faith to the people. Scripture, liturgy, sacramentals (Latin term!), and CCD type materials.

So, since culture evolves, so must the Church. And in this Internet age of instant communication and publication of information, the Church MUST be ready to catechize using every tool available. It's the Gospel of Christ and His particular teachings that must be primary to evangelization.

The use of various terms to exemplify the Truth (which Pope B-16 constantly emphasizes) must be either directly understood by non-believers (and believers alike) or readily explainable. God-Bearer Virgin, Mother-of-God, etc come readily to mind. The use of Greek or Slavonic terms can be useful - IF EXPLAINED DURING LITURGY - and they represent a useful tool in explaining the finer points of theology. But simple English terms that don't require a semester course in Systematic Theology to be understood seem to be preferable. We're here to evangelize the people of the Earth, not fossilize varying theological perspectives or ethnic pride.

And we, as Eastern Christians with a unique perspective on the mysteries of salvation, must use whatever tools we have to bring people to the Lord and Savior. The perspectives might not 'vibe' with the usual Western European perspective on salvation, but people might understand one or other of the Eastern theological perspectives.

I sometimes encourage my African-American co-workers/friends to go to an Ethiopian liturgy to see what 'true' African Christianity is all about. Perhaps the use of the chant and the finger-cymbals will let them see that there is something else other than the 'Blazing Bible Shout-for-Jesus Church of God and His Holy Apostolic Saints'. I give them icons too - like the Wedding Feast of Cana and tell them that Jesus' first miracle was done before His time and at the request of His Mother to avoid embarassment for family friends. (Family is REALLY important, not only in the African-American community but for everybody!!) The Ethiopian litugical language, Ge'ez, isn't easy, but the music is.

In summation, I'd just say: evangelization is job number one for Christians. Whatever we can do to get the Gospel of Christ into the hearts and minds of people is worth doing. Whatever language/music/clothing/activities will help this is what we should be doing.

We must use our particular charisms to get the message out - without regard to the pure externals. But it's the FAITH and our understanding of God and His Mysteries that will bring people to Christ and to the Father.

The externals embody our understanding and as long as they are significant and explained, then we should be able to evangelize as the Lord told us to do. If they lead to ethnic or Me-First acrimony, then they've got to go. The Church isn't the Smithsonian.

May the Lord lead all His human flock into the Kingdom as the Father wills. And may the Holy Spirit kick butt to get us there.

Blessings!

Dr. John
Linguist, theologian and general roustabout

E
E
Might I add to the confusion and point out that the Moscow Patriarchate's new Chinese-Slavonic prayerbook translates Bogoroditse as 圣母, which is literally 'Holy Mother' - thus using precisely the same term as the Roman Catholics. Lest anyone should think this is new, the old Classical Chinese translations of the service books in the early 20th Century did the same.

There is nothing wrong with using the term "Mother of God" as a translation for Theotokos. Its use in the RDL is just another example of change for the sake of change. The RDL should be scrapped and the books burned.

S
S
In summation, I'd just say: evangelization is job number one for Christians. Whatever we can do to get the Gospel of Christ into the hearts and minds of people is worth doing. Whatever language/music/clothing/activities will help this is what we should be doing.

We must use our particular charisms to get the message out - without regard to the pure externals. But it's the FAITH and our understanding of God and His Mysteries that will bring people to Christ and to the Father.

Dear Dr. John --

I agree that we should all be living examples of the Gospel and our church, and that the people in the church should serve as chief evangelizers. However, when one has celebrated the Full Ruthenian Recension for years on end, how do you now feel spiritually uplifted by a chopped-up, watered-down, inclusive language filled RDL? This RDL makes it difficult for me and my family to walk into a Byzantine Church. You have no idea what an act of faith it is week after week. My own kids, ages 7 & 11 are o.k. with becoming Orthodox....all because of the RDL! So, how do I ask others to come and experience the Byzantine Faith, when my faith in my baptismal church is weakening each week I hear the RDL instead of the Full Ruthenian Recension?

And if our faith is expressed through our Liturgy, what does this RDL say about the Byzantine Church? It says, we are so weak, we are willing to allow the secular world into our worship.

When you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. Restore the full Ruthenian Recension, instead of handing out another dose of Kool-Aid. We then might actually grow.

P
P
"Theotokos," or the Rusin-Slavonic "Bohorodice" -- the translation I remember from seminary days is "God Bearer" -- The mystery of God becoming human, taking human form, and the acceptance by Mary to be the chosen vessel of His birth.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by pilgrimcantor
"Theotokos," or the Rusin-Slavonic "Bohorodice"
What is the literal meaning of the Slavonic?

Dn. Anthony

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.