The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Collin Nunis), 691 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
A question has arisen about a rubric in the Divine Liturgy and I present here relevant texts that pertain to it. The texts are from five sources as noted in the pdf file (link given below) containing the texts. The part in the liturgy where the rubric occurs is right after the Ambon prayer; Blessed be the Name of the Lord is being sung. (To provide further context, corresponding links are given below to the texts in the full documents in which they are found.) The portion to be considered is demarcated by black arrows in text #1 in the pdf file. Sections that are from two pages in the original layout have been edited to form one continuous page of text. Here is the link for the pdf file containing the five sources [ link [patronagechurch.com] 2.41MB ]. I ask the following for the texts in the file:

1. Do a close reading of the texts.

2. Comment as you see fit.

3. Comment in particular on the following:
A. The rubric in #1 is that which is found in #4 (a translation is given in #5).
B. The rubric in #1 is that which is found in #2 (a translation is given in #3).

Thank you.

Dn. Anthony

------------------------------------------------------------
#1. link [patronagechurch.com] The 2007 Liturgicon
#2. link [patronagechurch.com] Ruthenian Recension Slu�ebnik
#3. link [patronagechurch.com] 1965 Liturgicon
#4. link [patronagechurch.com] Ordo Celebrationis
#5. link [patronagechurch.com] 1955 translation of #4. The Keleher-Figel translation is given in the pdf file; the link to the 1955 version here is given for context and comparison if desired.

Fr Deacon--the only difference I can see (in the RDL) with my untrained eye is that the priest blesses the deacon with the prayer during the consumption of the Gifts, rather than just saying the prayer. Is that it?

B
B
Also, in the notes to the translation of the Ordo Celebrationis cited above, the commentator (presumably Archimandrite Serge) says, referring to this prayer:

209. In practice the deacon enters the altar through the south door and receives a blessing from the priest as the priest concludes the prayer You, O Christ our God. Only then does the deacon consume the Holy Gifts.

(italics added). Examining the sources you display in parallel, it looks as if the rubric as given by the hierarchs is a codification of this tradition, detailing where the priest and deacon are to be when the blessing is given.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff

Fr. Deacon Anthony,

It seems the 65 rubrics call for the priest to go to the table of preparation to say the prayer then the deacon consumes the remaining Holy Gifts. The 07 rubrics call for the priest to go to the altar, face the table of preparation and bless the deacon while saying the prayer before the deacon consumes the Holy Gifts.

Is this the difference you are trying to point out?

The OCA and GOA priest's service books mirror the 65 book. Byzantine Daily Worship has the priest go to the altar and turn to the table of preparation to say the prayer but does not mention the deacon being blessed, and neither do the 65, OCA or GOA books but I assume the blessing is done because the deacon always receives a blessing before performing an action.

I can't say I see a big difference other than that it may confuse the prayer with the blessing, which in my mind are two seperate actions.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your responses; I had intended to respond sooner.

Originally Posted by John K
Fr Deacon--the only difference I can see (in the RDL) with my untrained eye is that the priest blesses the deacon with the prayer during the consumption of the Gifts, rather than just saying the prayer. Is that it?

Yes, I'd say that is a difference.

Originally Posted by ByzKat
Also, in the notes to the translation of the Ordo Celebrationis cited above, the commentator (presumably Archimandrite Serge) says, referring to this prayer ...

Yes, thank you. Since (this variation of) the RDL usage is to be found only in an unofficial footnote to the official text, it indirectly confirms that it is not to be found in the latter (i.e. the Recension texts).

Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
It seems the 65 rubrics call for the priest to go to the table of preparation to say the prayer then the deacon consumes the remaining Holy Gifts. The 07 rubrics call for the priest to go to the altar, face the table of preparation and bless the deacon while saying the prayer before the deacon consumes the Holy Gifts.

Is this the difference you are trying to point out?

Actually, I avoided using the word "difference" because I wanted unbiased verification that in fact there is a difference!

Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
I can't say I see a big difference other than that it may confuse the prayer with the blessing, which in my mind are two seperate actions.

I see a significant difference in the overall flow and integration of the words and gestures. My question, however, is what is the source for the additional rubrics (bold below), especially the "girding":

The deacon enters the sanctuary through the northern door, bows, and faces the celebrant.
The celebrant, blessing the deacon, says:
CELEBRANT: +
You, O Christ our God,....
Having received the blessing, the deacon girds himself with the orarion in the form of a cross and consumes the gifts with fear and all care.

Dn. Anthony

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.