The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
One of the readings prescribed for this day is Joel 3:12-21 but this chapter does not contain that many verses. I thought the source I was using might be incorrect but all other sources I checked are the same. Do any of the forum members have a suggestion? Thanks, Paul

F
F
Originally Posted by Paul Heim
One of the readings prescribed for this day is Joel 3:12-21 but this chapter does not contain that many verses. I thought the source I was using might be incorrect but all other sources I checked are the same. Do any of the forum members have a suggestion? Thanks, Paul

My, you are worrying about Cheesefare Week mighty early! smile

In my copies of the Septuagint, the Peshitta, and my trusty old Douay-Rheims Bible, Joel, Chapter 3, has 21 verses. Why even my Authorised (a.k.a. King James) Version Bible has 21 verses in Chapter 3. Perhaps you've made a mistake? Lord knows, I've made them world without end. Amen.

Fr David Straut

John
John
The issue is that they map differently. I've compared the RSV to the 1970 NAB for Joel:

RSV ------ NAB
1:1-20 == 1:1-20
2:1-27 == 2:1-27
2:28-32 = 3:1-5
3:1-21 == 4:1-21

I am not sure why the chapters are given differently. Father David indicates the Septuagint and the others all map like the RSV. Maybe the NAB follows the Hebrew breaks in chapters? No time to research it at the moment but surely someone here will do so!

F
F
Dear Father David,

My first reaction was the same as your own - today is neither Wednesday nor Cheese-Fare Week!

My second reaction was also the same as your own - I've never had any trouble finding the readings.

Great minds go in the same direction, I've often been told.

fraternally in Christ,

Fr. Serge

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.