The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (OEFNavyVet), 579 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Stephanie Kotyuh
But I think that's the nature of the forum and not fully reflective of the general population.

Felix, things must be different in Texas because here in Ohio the reverse is true. Most people abhor the RDL. If you would have had the opportunity to experience the Red Book, you would understand. That's the one unfortunate fact in this whole argument -- the people who have experienced the Red Book want nothing less. If the use of the Red Book would have been wide-spread, we would have many more people upset.

The Red Book is the GOLD STANDARD. Anything else, is well, less. Until you experience the Red Book, you really can't comment one way or the other. That's what all the anti-RDL posters are comparing this new liturgy to. I know if you could experience the Red Book, you would love it too. I guarantee it. And then you would be in our camp.

Felix,
Check out St.Seraphim OCA Cathedral in Dallas. You live within an hour or so away. You will get the equivalent of the "Red Book" liturgy that the BCC should be using.

Just to warn you, however, you'll be in church for up to two hours. wink

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Erie Byz
The current translation of the DL was translated from the earliest Greek translations that we have available.
Greek translations? What exactly were these "earliest Greek" versions that were the source of the RDL?

... so why would a DL translation from Church Slavonic in to English be valid. There were also problems with the original translation into Slavonic.
Was the 1965 liturgicon translation not "valid"? Presumably the Ruthenian Recension, its text, is our proper heritage; it is what has been handed down to us. Has anyone on the RDL translation committee or our bishops ever indicated otherwise? One should also recall Patriarch Nikon and his views on the superiority of the Greek over the Slavonic.

As mentioned before there will always be people upset with changes whether for the good or bad.
Legitimate questions have been raised about specifics of the translation and the status of the Recension. They deserve to be addressed and adequately and authoritatively answered.

I pray that we not get so caught up on words on a page, but how the words and the meaning behind the words resonate in our heart.
We're "so caught up on words on a page" because if they are a poor translation -- the wrong words -- they will "resonate" incorrectly.

I would take a guess to say that Our Holy Father Among the Saints John Chyrsostom is looking down from Heaven laughing at us for arguing over a trivial tranlsation.
As "one with formal training in Theology", is dropping a word, anthropous, from the Creed in translation, a word with theological significance, "trivial"? The RDL is also an abridgment of the full text of the liturgy, which full version in English is now actually proscribed. Is that also "trivial"?

I'm going to respond as one with formal training in Theology and as a man on a journey East. The current translation of the DL was translated from the earliest Greek translations that we have available. This is in accord with the norm for theological translations, we do not hold third generations translations of Holy Scripture (i.e. a new translation from a German translation which was from early source documents) as valid so why would a DL translation from Church Slavonic in to English be valid. There were also problems with the original translation into Slavonic.

As mentioned before there will always be people upset with changes whether for the good or bad. At my parish we have had at least one person that I know of leave our parish because she did not like the de-Latinization, including the new translation and the work to make the church feel more Eastern.

My only wish is that all of the Byzantine Rite Churches in the United States would have come together to work on a common translation of the Liturgy rather than just the Ruthenian.

I pray that we not get so caught up on words on a page, but how the words and the meaning behind the words resonate in our heart. I would take a guess to say that Our Holy Father Among the Saints John Chyrsostom is looking down from Heaven laughing at us for arguing over a trivial tranlsation.

I would be cautious to call the translation that is the RDL "trivial", since many lifelong Byzantine Catholics are very upset by it.

It has caused too much dissension in a church that is a fraction of the size it used to be.

F
F
The current translation of the DL was translated from the earliest Greek translations that we have available.

Excuse me? First of all, Greek translations from what? Second, I would scarcely regard the 1950 Rome edition of the Ieratikon as the oldest Greek text available!

Those who support the Revised Liturgy of Pittsburgh are certainly entitled to defend it. But I hope that they can do a better job than this!

Fr. Serge

I do not have the time or emotional energy to get into another argument with the anti-RDL crowd. So, anything they write in response to my post will be ignored by me regardless of my opinion of their statements.

Felix, if you do not have the time or emotional energy to post charitably and objectively you will not last long on this Forum.

FDRLB

At my parish we have had at least one person that I know of leave our parish because she did not like the de-Latinization, including the new translation and the work to make the church feel more Eastern.

If we are going to talk about the "feel", then we need to incorporate mandated abbreviations, inclusive modernist American translations, and new music many often find unsingeable into that "feel". I would posit the "feel" is more like modern neo-Latin American liturgy with these considerations than any fuller celebration of the Divine Liturgy in either Greek Catholic or Orthodox churches that I have experienced. For the sake of brevity I will only say I strongly disagree this translation to be in any way a more faithful translation from extant Greek texts than what is already present in the Greek Catholic or Orthodox world.

F
F
Quote:
At my parish we have had at least one person that I know of leave our parish because she did not like the de-Latinization, including the new translation and the work to make the church feel more Eastern.

Such people certainly exist; I have had the sad experience of meeting some of them every so often (although not, thank God, in my present parish). Father Archimandrite Robert Taft touches on this problem sometimes.

Basically, the case is one of "internalized oppression" and the conviction that our several traditions really have nothing to offer. One need not look to religious groups to find it - here in Dublin I can certainly find people (indeed, it's hard to avoid them) who think that Irish "culture" is non-existent and certainly worthless, that the Irish language is not really a language at all ("you can talk about cows" is a common expression), that the Irish Catholic tradition is nonsense - that Ireland is, or at least should be, that part of England where the Catholics live.

The diagnosis is not difficult. The cure is very difficult indeed. But it is not quite hopeless. Every once in a while, someone comes along and manages to convince people that Taras Shevchenko was correct when he exhorted the Ukrainians "learn from others, but do not despise what is your own!"

Fr. Serge

F
F
Originally Posted by Diak
I do not have the time or emotional energy to get into another argument with the anti-RDL crowd. So, anything they write in response to my post will be ignored by me regardless of my opinion of their statements.

Felix, if you do not have the time or emotional energy to post charitably and objectively you will be quickly banned from this Forum.
FDRLB

Diak,

I am sorry if my post appeared uncharitable. It was not my intention. However, I have found that whatever I say in regard to the RDL will always have a post written in response. If I don't respond to this post, it will appear that I might not disagee. I didn't want to get into another battle of endless posts on the RDL issue. That's all I was trying to say.

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Felix

Last edited by Felix; 06/27/08 03:56 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted by Etnick
Originally Posted by Stephanie Kotyuh
But I think that's the nature of the forum and not fully reflective of the general population.

Felix, things must be different in Texas because here in Ohio the reverse is true. Most people abhor the RDL. If you would have had the opportunity to experience the Red Book, you would understand. That's the one unfortunate fact in this whole argument -- the people who have experienced the Red Book want nothing less. If the use of the Red Book would have been wide-spread, we would have many more people upset.

The Red Book is the GOLD STANDARD. Anything else, is well, less. Until you experience the Red Book, you really can't comment one way or the other. That's what all the anti-RDL posters are comparing this new liturgy to. I know if you could experience the Red Book, you would love it too. I guarantee it. And then you would be in our camp.

Felix,
Check out St.Seraphim OCA Cathedral in Dallas. You live within an hour or so away. You will get the equivalent of the "Red Book" liturgy that the BCC should be using.

Just to warn you, however, you'll be in church for up to two hours. wink

Etnick,

I appreciate your suggestion on this issue. Certainly the experience of a thing assists in understanding it. That being said, I have been to St. Seraphim's before. I have observed that the BCA RDL uses a more modern version of English and that there is more of an emphasis in congregational participation than that found at St. Seraphim's. I also know that the liturgy takes longer at St. Seraphim's, although the reasons for this does not usually seem apparent to the uneducated observer. I don't want to get into the merits of the differences, but I will say that I unequivocally prefer the BCA RDL. But I don't think my opinion matters more than anecdotally where the issue is of merits. If the BCA started using the Archbishop Dmitri texts required at St. Seraphim's it would be a reasonable decision that I would accept.

F
F
It has been suggested to me by private message that I should have been aware that the deacon who goes by "Diak" is a deacon and that I should post an apology for not addressing him as such. It has also been suggested to me that I should have checked his profile so that I would have known this.

I did know the deacon going by "Diak" was a deacon. It did not occur to me to address him formally in my post. I did know that some other people do so, but I did not know this was required in this informal setting where people commonly go by informal abbreviations. I am sorry if I offended him in this regard. It was not my intention. I typically consider people on this forum to be similar to friends and, thus, only retain formal titles with people of the priest level. This is how I have always treated my friends who are deacons. However, I was apprently in error as regards the forum.

Note - I have secular formal titles that I do not expect individuals on this forum to be aware of or to honor. However, the are honored by those addressing me in real life. One exception, my friends (and my wife and child).

F
F
In case I was unclear, Fr. Deacon, you have my apologies if I offended you.

B
B
I have quit discussing the RDL since emotions are so heated on this issue. And often, it is emotion, not reason or logic that I hear in many arguments. Who knows how the RDL will "shake out" over time. If God doesn't like it, or even if he does, I suspect he can and will direct whatever happens to it.

I never know what to write but I feel like I need to say something. My husband and I are among those who find the RDL to be so offensive we just don�t go to it. The words are all different and all that political correctness is offensive. The music is klunky and not even our cantor can sing it. Every few weeks our family visits a different non-Ruthenian BC parish. We hope we can find a new church not far from us but we really hope the RDL is cancelled by Rome or the bishops. A couple of weeks ago we went to St. Josaphat�s Ukrainian Church. We were surprised that there were children there. That is unusual in a Ruthenian BC Church were our kids made up a third of the ccd group. Back during Easter to St. Theodosius Orthodox Cathedral. We were surprised that they both take the Divine Liturgy the way we used to a long time ago. Father David Petras said on this forum that that the Orthodox Churches had already made all these changes. Well he is wrong. The liturgy is slightly different in ever parish but they are all really close to our old liturgy. And neither the Ukrainians nor the Orthodox are forbidding the prayers our bishops have forbidden. I still don�t understand why the bishops would ever forbid prayer. The Byzantine Liturgy is so beautiful. The bishops should allow it! Maybe Father Petras and the bishops should visit some of these churches to see how the liturgy is supposed to be taken. But didn't they see that in Europe they take the whole liturgy and the churches are full? Why can't they make the connection?

Originally Posted by byzanTN
And often, it is emotion, not reason or logic that I hear in many arguments.
I strongly disagree. Most of the arguments I see here opposing the RDL are extremely reasoned and logical arguments.

F
F
Lady Byzantine's comments are excellent and deserve wide circulation.

Fr. Serge

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.