The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
A
AMM Offline
A
But as I mentioned they do not question its objective validity as a Mass, only that some (perhaps most in their minds) celebrations of it are invalid.

Which is heresy by memo's standard.

L
L
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
[...] At various times priests and perhaps one Bishop of the Lefebvrists have been reconciled to the full unity of the Catholic Church; there has been no hint of any re-ordination of such clergy. [...]

Fr. Serge

Yes, Bishop Licínio Rangel was indeed reconciled to and died in full communion with the Catholic Church. May he rest in peace.

Source:
AUTOGRAPH LETTER OF JOHN PAUL II
...F ST JOHN MARY VIANNEY OF CAMPOS, BRAZIL
[vatican.va]

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 01/28/09 09:22 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by francis
They seem to consider it's validity in doubt.

http://www.sspx.org/SSPX_FAQs/q5_novusordo.htm

But as I mentioned they do not question its objective validity as a Mass, only that some (perhaps most in their minds) celebrations of it are invalid. If a properly ordained priest celebrates the Pauline Mass with the proper form and correct intention, they accept that it is valid. There are some traditionalists who reject the objective validity of the Pauline Mass, no matter how it is celebrated. There is really no hope for reconciliation with those people without them simply changing their minds.

I haven't read any of their materials in a long time, but I recall that:

1) Archbishop Lefebvre refused to acknowledge the form as valid. Specifically, he rejected the validity of some of the Eucharistic Prayers.

2) An offer was made by Rome (JPII, iirc) to celebrate the new mass a single time with the Pope as the condition for regularization of the suspended order, and was rejected.

hawk

Originally Posted by AMM
But as I mentioned they do not question its objective validity as a Mass, only that some (perhaps most in their minds) celebrations of it are invalid.

Please do not presume to speak my mind.

This is clearly not what I said.

Priests (and even bishops) can invalidly celebrate Mass according to the Pauline rite. That doesn't make the rite itself illegitimate.

If the SSPX grievance is against specific instances, then they are not questioning the authority of the Pope, but rather the skills and intentions of specific celebrants.

In this case, they may be right or wrong about their concerns, but either way, they have the right to express them.

But we'll see...

Shalom,
Memo

A
AMM Offline
A
What the SSPX rejects is not merely a specific translation, but rather the validity of the Pauline reforms to the Roman rite.

While the reform is being considered, you can make all the observations your conscience dictates, but once the Pope approves it, it is valid and licit.

The only way to object to its validity is by challenging the authority of the Pope to approve such reforms in the first place.

If this is actually their position, it is material heresy.

It is what you said.

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
I'm not even sure where that horizon is - certainly it's not in view

Well, there is hope on the horizon:

Pope expresses hope for full communion with traditionalist society [catholicnews.com]

Pope condemns Holocaust denial [catholicnews.com]

Pope says Christian unity can prove that division isn't inevitable [catholicnews.com]

The last lines from that last story leave me feeling better than I have in days:

Addressing the Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and Protestant bishops, clergy and laity who participated in the prayer service, the pope said that as long as all Christians seek unity in faith their different spiritualities, rituals and customs do not have to be divisive.

"In that way our diversity will no longer be an obstacle that separates us, but a richness in the multiplicity of expressions of a common faith," he said.

-- John

Speaking of hope, I think this sounds very encouraging:

Bishop Williamson Apologizes [newliturgicalmovement.org]

Originally Posted by francis
Speaking of hope, I think this sounds very encouraging:

Bishop Williamson Apologizes [newliturgicalmovement.org]

Be that as it may--the man should be censured by his superiors, whoever they are. If I, at my secular, for profit corporation dared to make such a remark, I'd be out on the street with no job or benefits. Yet this "Christian churchman" dares to make such a statement and he continues in his "job." The dear "bishop" should get out more and travel. I've been to Auschwitz/Birkenau and re-live the horror of that visit in my dreams.

Didn't the old prayer on Good Friday for the Jewish people talk about removing a veil from (their) eyes? Maybe we should pray that prayer for "Bishop" Williamson instead.

Last edited by John K; 01/30/09 04:58 PM.
John K,

When the prodigal son came back to his father, I don't remember the father scolding the son for all his past sins. He simply rejoiced in his return. Let's not be the older brother in this story of reconciliation.

Originally Posted by AMM
What the SSPX rejects is not merely a specific translation, but rather the validity of the Pauline reforms to the Roman rite.

While the reform is being considered, you can make all the observations your conscience dictates, but once the Pope approves it, it is valid and licit.

The only way to object to its validity is by challenging the authority of the Pope to approve such reforms in the first place.

It is what you said.

Thank you for quoting me.

My original text clearly shows that I DID NOT say what you claim I said.

Case closed.

Shalom,
Memo

F
F
Well, there is the case of the Sixto-Clementine Vulgate.

Fr. Serge

John,
Even Judas "if" he repented could have been forgiven and received back as an Apostle. Our Lord would do it,
should'nt you?
Stephanos I

A
AMM Offline
A
Said by Francis

Said by Me

Said by Memo

F
F
It is certainly not heretical to say that some "Masses" said in vague accordance with the Novus Ordo are invalid - John Paul II said the same thing regarding "Masses" said using invalid matter, which was a fairly widespread offense.

If it's any consolation, earlier in the twentieth century a similar problem arose because certain suppliers of hosts whose theological knowledge did not match their esthetics were using rice flour instead of wheat flour for the hosts! This, of course, does not produce valid bread for the Roman Mass. The resulting situation was quite a cause celebre.

Fr. Serge

It appears that acceptance of Vatican II is not an option from the Holy Father's public audience:

"I hope my gesture is followed by the hoped-for commitment on their part to take the further steps necessary to realize full communion with the church, thus witnessing true fidelity, and true recognition of the magisterium and the authority of the pope and of the Second Vatican Council," he said.

HHB16 is one who says what he means.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.