The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rwprof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just finished this book. It's well researched (and cited), and is a history of the male-female imbalance in Western Christianity, which the author dates back to the 12th Century. He has little to say about Eastern Christianity, save to contrast it with the feminized Christianity of the West, but it's a fascinating read.

Highly recommended.

M
M
Haven't read the book so I can't comment on it.

But wouldn't it be good for the church to encompass all and thus be both masculine and feminine?

R
rwprof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Miller
Haven't read the book so I can't comment on it.

But wouldn't it be good for the church to encompass all and thus be both masculine and feminine?

Indeed. Podles's thesis, which he supports quite well, is that the eroticization of mysticism in the West in the 12th Century made Christianity more appealing to women than men, and he shows that since that time, more women have been attending than men, something I had assumed was a recent phenomenon.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.