The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (byzanTN, griego catolico), 582 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,048
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#322916 05/25/09 12:23 AM
OP Offline
The Forever Virgins

Even before the Catholic Church had nuns, it had consecrated virgins. And, today, women like Kathy Reda are choosing and reviving this largely forgotten vocation. They're walking down the aisle and betrothing themselves to God.
Boston.com article page player in wide format.

By Liz O'Donnell
May 24, 2009

It was a large wedding, even by modern-day standards. Some 600 guests filled the pews at Dedham's imposing St. Mary of the Assumption Church on a Friday evening last August. The clergy had turned out in full force: 10 priests, a bishop, and Cardinal Sean O'Malley, head of the Boston Archdiocese, processed up the main aisle -- said to be the longest of any in Massachusetts -- some sprinkling incense as the choir sang. At last came the bride, dressed in white lace, her only jewelry a simple gold cross on a chain. She smiled widely and carried a single red rose, and when she reached the front pew, she took a few deep breaths, as though to steady herself.
Kathy Reda, a 42-year-old nurse, prays daily at the chapel she created in her home. She became a consecrated virgin last year in a ceremony at St. Mary's of the Assumption Church in Dedham. (Christopher Churchill) Kathy Reda, a 42-year-old nurse, prays daily at the chapel she created in her home. She became a consecrated virgin last year in a ceremony at St. Mary's of the Assumption Church in Dedham.
Related

But no bridegroom waited at the altar. Kathy Reda, an emergency room nurse at Newton-Wellesley Hospital, was about to make a promise of perpetual virginity and become mystically betrothed to Jesus.

Consecrated virgins have existed in the Catholic Church longer than nuns. The tradition died out around the ninth century but has made a comeback after the Second Vatican Council, or Vatican II, in the 1960s emphasized the idea that everyone is called to holiness. Women who join the Order of Virgins feel called to Christ, much like a priest or a nun does. And, as with priests and nuns, the Catholic Church recognizes consecrated virginity as a distinct vocation. Unlike nuns, however, consecrated virgins don't take a vow of poverty. Instead, they live in their own homes and support themselves by working in jobs outside the church. Like Reda, they are women who are inspired to make a public commitment to Jesus. They dedicate much of their free time to prayer, including reciting the thrice-daily Liturgy of the Hours, and volunteer work.

There are about 250 consecrated virgins in the United States and about 3,000 worldwide -- the Boston Archdiocese is home to 13 of them. The vocation even has its own membership organization, the United States Association of Consecrated Virgins, which holds conferences and provides information to members and prospective members. But the church does not actively recruit women to consecrated virginity -- in fact, many Catholics say they have never heard of the Order of Virgins. But the church says interest may be on the rise. "The number of women inquiring about it is increasing," says Sister Marian Batho, O'Malley's liaison for the religious communities of the archdiocese. Batho says the membership organization has helped build awareness, and that bishops have also played a role. "As bishops come to understand it, they can encourage women to listen carefully to see if God is calling them to this vocation," she says. Those who wish to join the order "are women who have never been married or lived in open violation of chastity," says Batho. The church doesn't require any proof of virginity -- a woman's character determines her eligibility. She can be admitted into the vocation by her local bishop and must work with a spiritual director before and after her consecration.Continued...

Kathy Reda, 42, never planned to marry Christ. In fact, in 1991 she vowed never to set foot in a church again. That was the year Reda's mother died, two weeks after having heart surgery. Reda, who had been raised Catholic, was 24 years old and devastated. "Screw you, God," she thought.

Though she'd been planning to get her own place, Reda decided to stay with her grieving father. Then, in 1995, her father passed away. At age 29, Reda was responsible for a mortgage and keeping her three younger siblings together. "My friends were going skiing and my money was going toward the gas bill," says Reda. She was bitter; this wasn't what she'd planned for her life.

After her parents died, Reda spent her time working at the hospital, checking in on her siblings, and helping out her friend Paul McMurtry at his Dedham video store. She'd met McMurtry in high school, and though their relationship was platonic, Reda dreamed of marrying him. Eventually she got the courage to tell him how she felt. "He said, 'I do love you, but I'm not in love with you,' " Reda recalls. "What do you do with that?" Soon after, McMurtry started dating another woman, and Reda was crushed. Eventually she started dating, too. "I dated a guy who was a paramedic and was going to become a fireman. He would buy me flowers and bring me coffee prepared just how I liked. But then he slept with a woman I worked with. I was left wondering why this happened to me." There were other boyfriends after him, but Reda never felt any chemistry.

Through all of this, she continued helping at McMurtry's video store. One snowy Sunday in January 1998, Reda's car wouldn't start and a woman from the Domino's Pizza shop next door offered her a ride home. In exchange for the lift, she asked Reda to come to a Mass held by Life Teen, a youth group that her son was involved in at St. Mary's. Reda went reluctantly and sat alone in the back. Soon, however, she started to thaw.

"I loved the live band -- there was a guitar, a piano, and drums. The kids were singing and holding hands." She started attending the Life Teen Masses every week. On Palm Sunday that year, she had an epiphany. That night, the kids staged a Passion play. They turned off all the lights except for a single spotlight on the teen playing the role of Jesus. He carried a crucifix up the main aisle and stumbled under its weight. As he neared the altar, the shadow of the cross grew larger on the back wall of the church. The other teens were all singing "Jesus remember me." "Something just hit me," explains Reda. "I had this strong physical sensation in my chest. Never before did I really get it. Jesus died for me. I started to sob. There I was, 30 years old, and I was watching Jesus die for me."

Reda says she felt the Holy Spirit that night. As her faith grew, she looked into becoming a nun, but an informational session turned her off. "I just didn't see any joy there," recalls Reda. "The meeting was more about what we would have to give up. Not one of the nuns described how Jesus made them feel." Eventually the Rev. Matt Williams, a priest at St. Mary's at the time, suggested she look into consecrated virginity. "My first reaction when Father Matt told me about consecrated virgins was no, no, no, no. But I met with another consecrated virgin in the archdiocese, and I was on fire when I left," she says. "I was excited, full of energy."

When Reda finally made her decision, she dreaded telling her family. "My decision was so counterculture," she says. "It was the V-word. People are just so hung up on it. It's not considered normal for a woman not to want to have sex." In fact, Reda thought about omitting the word "virgin" from her invitations for the consecration. "Maybe I don't have to use it," she told a friend. "He told me, 'Kathy, I'm pretty sure it will be mentioned, like, 50 times during the Mass. I think you need to get over it.' "

Two weeks before Reda's wedding at St. Mary's, Alma Bella Solis, now 53, also married Jesus, at St. John the Evangelist Church in Chelmsford. A petite woman with a big smile, Solis wears her hair in a simple bob and dresses conservatively. Born in the Philippines, Solis came to the United States 20 years ago and today works at a home for adults with mental illness. Prior to her consecration, Solis lived as a novitiate cloistered nun. She says she liked the life of prayer but missed social interaction. In the cloistered setting, she couldn't hug anyone. She could call her mother just once a month. "Ultimately, I wanted to live in the world, not in the four walls of the convent," she says.

Most days now, Solis attends the 9 a.m. Mass at St. John's. She runs errands and goes to work. She prays again before going to bed. On her days off, Solis attends Mass and teaches art and religious education classes to children. She stopped watching television last June, and she doesn't read a newspaper. "I like a lot of silence in my life," she says. "A consecrated virgin lives out in God's world, so there are more obstacles," she adds. "Sometimes when I am with friends I can be tempted to drink too much wine. But I prefer to keep my mind clear."

Since her consecration, Solis says friends and family are always asking her if she is lonely. "I am not lonely," she says. "I have my friends. I have my books. I have art." And she is never tempted by men, she says, although she's been asked for dates since her wedding.

Consecrated virgins live in a world where sex is discussed everywhere -- in magazines, on television, among friends, at work. "Our society is so wrapped up in sex," says Reda. "I'm surprised there isn't a game show about losing your virginity." Celibacy is a commitment, she says. "You may have desires, but you don't act on them. I still recognize a handsome man when I see one. But sex is not in the equation. Commitment and faith help you." She adds: "You don't always have to have sex to be fulfilled. I know a lot of people who are having sex who aren't fulfilled."

Leading up to her consecration, loneliness was a greater concern than celibacy for Reda. Eight months before her wedding, she was at Mass and something didn't feel right. "What if I get lonely?" she thought. "I started sobbing and sobbing." She still tears up remembering that day. "But it was a test. Father Matt told me it would have been abnormal if I hadn't had some doubt."

Elizabeth Lee understands these concerns. Lee became the first consecrated virgin in the Fall River Diocese when she took her vows in 1995 at the age of 33. At that time, there was no nationwide membership organization. "I was sort of a pioneer in the field. Even the people at my church didn't understand," says Lee. "They thought a consecrated virgin was a quasi-religious."

Lee had always been religious in a private way. While attending Middlesex College, she was involved in a youth ministry. She volunteered with the elderly and the homeless, but her primary love was prayer. "I could spend hours in prayer," she says. Lee had dated men in college and after graduation. She wanted to make a deeper commitment to the church, but she was torn by the idea of never marrying or having children. "I wanted to marry and have lots of kids. But God wanted me for himself."

Eventually she accepted what she describes as an invitation from God into consecrated virginity. Lee says she never felt lonely when she was first consecrated, but now there are more challenges. "It's hard sometimes. My friends are busy, and it's hard to find the time to get together." But her friends' hectic lives give Lee more time to pray. "I discovered who I was when I was consecrated. Now I am called to go deep."

Last year, Lee quit her job as a dental assistant to start her own business. She publishes informational pamphlets supporting Catholic Church doctrine on such issues as brain death, end of life, in-vitro fertilization, and stem cell research. Lee speculates that Reda and Solis are still in the honeymoon phase of their marriages -- eager brides, happy to discuss their spouse and newly married status with anyone who will listen. They have not so far experienced any loneliness.

Says Reda: "I used to pray for a family and kids after my mom and dad died. Well, I got a family and lots of kids," a reference to her involvement with Life Teen. "It's cute. The kids at church call me Mrs. Christ."

"Kathy is one of the most selfless people I've ever met," says Williams, who oversaw St. Mary's Life Teen program. Today, he heads the Office for the New Evangelization for Youth and Young Adults for the Boston Archdiocese. "She is well rounded, funny, joyful. She loves the Lord. It's a powerful combination."

Even her old friend McMurtry, now a state representative, says he is not surprised by Reda's choice. "I can tell it's genuine," he says. "She truly loves God and wanted to make a commitment."

When asked if anything is missing from her life now, Reda pauses. "I don't know. I feel completely fulfilled," she says, then adds: "Well, maybe being a size 4. But I'm trying. I go to Curves.

"I had the choice to do anything. And I choose this. I choose to be mystically connected to Jesus but still live in the real world."

There is a video
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/05/24/the_forever_virgins/?page=1

This is very nice. Thank you, Pani Rose, for sharing it...

What comes to my mind when she says that a virgin is the dreaded 'V' word in today's society is how sad that is...especially because the word Virgin is always described for our Blessed Mother of God, and also it has always been a highly esteemed thing for a woman to be throughout the Bible and throughout history.

In days, not so long ago, it was simply assumed that a woman who wasn't married was a virgin, or that a woman widowed was no longer sexually active. Women who were virgins because they weren't married were always respected. Women always practiced moral virtue. Now they are expected to act like harlots and we are indoctrinated that being what was once labled a 'harlot', is now 'normal' and 'healthy'...

How low we have sunk as a culture and a society--how utterly and undeniably spiritually ill and morally twisted our western world has become...

I remember the prediction of a holy Orthodox saint who said that there will be a day when what is good will be considered bad, and what is bad will be considered good!

Anyway, good for her, and this is a very nice and realistic vocation for normal, morally, mentally, emotionally and spiritually healthy and virtuous single women who are called by God to serve Him in prayer and commitment. They deserve our utmost respect and praise.

Alice

Alice #322925 05/25/09 12:57 AM
OP Offline
It is not for sure, but it seems to me that some of my friends have a friend that took vows like this here in B'ham. There may be others, but I think it is great.

L
L
Alice,

In regards to the Orthodox saint's quote, one of my all-time favorite quotes is from St. Anthony of the Desert: "There will come a time when people will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad they will say, 'You are mad; you are not like us.'"

So sadly true.

Alexis

Just came across this nonsense when signing into my AOL account:

Shields Regrets Being a Virgin for So Long
PopEater
Brooke Shields admits she lost her virginity at the age of 22, but is upset she didn't do it earlier..
In an interview with Health magazine, the 'Lipstick Jungle' star confesses her biggest health regret is waiting too long to have sex.
"I think I would have had sex a lot earlier! [Laughs.] I think I would have lost my virginity earlier than I did at 22. I had the public and all this pressure, and I wish I had just gotten it over with in the beginning when it was sort of OK," the actress says.
Shields also believes she would have been happier with her body image had she become sexually active at a younger age.
"I think I would have been much more in touch with myself. I think I wouldn’t have had issues with weight -- I carried this protective 20 pounds [in college]. It was all connected. And to me, that’s a health regret."

(and we wonder why the 'v' word is such a 'bad' word these days...)

I also had another thought while watching the beautiful Memorial Day Mass at the National Shrine--eliminating the word 'Virgin' when Roman Catholics refer to the Theotokos, and just calling her 'Mary' kind of reinforces this morally liberal concept of the word 'virgin' as somehow not being praiseworthy. I am not meaning to condemn, but maybe a grassroots movement of this awareness can somehow bring back the more honorific titles the Latin Church always held for Our Lady (my favorite Latin rite title used for her in the past)....The priest at the Cathedral today said in his homily: "this Church of Mary". frown

Alice #323005 05/25/09 06:12 PM
L
L
My favorite Marian title in English is "Our Blessed Lady." It is used in the full name of Pluscarden Abbey [pluscardenabbey.org]: the Abbey of Our Blessed Lady, Saint John the Baptist and Saint Andrew.

I am a man so I don't pretend to know how women really feel about these things, but I suspect that there are women who feel they started having sex before they were ready for it. Perhaps they were too young and didn't know what they were doing. Or perhaps they just went along with what society deems "normal"; if you think you're in love you're expected to make love. In both cases there may be regrets afterwards.

Alice #323007 05/25/09 06:31 PM
L
L
Alright, I have to chime in on my opinion of the article.

I have very mixed feelings about it.

First of all I will say, the vocation to consecrated virginity is a wonderful, powerful thing, and I thank the Lord that Miss Reda has dedicated her life so wholeheartedly to God. She is already much farther along than I, and I suspect many of us, are.

That said, I have some serious reservations about much of what she has stated in this article.

Her liturgical proclivities are about 180 degrees different than my own, and I feel are at variance with what Christ and His Church desires, but what are you gonna do about it? The Church allows guitars, live bands, "and kids holding hands" to go on, and so most people are going to accuse me of all sorts of things because I think it's wrong, but I want to state it just the same.

Her "conversion experience," if you will, at the Passion Play, seems genuine enough (and I'm sure that's enough reason right there for people to say that these types of worship services are OK). Her account of it really is touching.

So she looks into becoming a nun, but in her words there isn't "any joy there," which could either mean she thinks all nuns are joyless and live an existence devoid of joy, or either there was no joy in that vocation for her. Out of charity, I'll assume the latter, but I suspect the former. I still think it's a sad statement.

"The meeting was more about what we would have to give up. Not one of the nuns described how Jesus made them feel."

Again, very hung up on feelings. Juxtaposing giving up stuff with how Jesus makes one feel. Perhaps she should look into how Jesus made Mother Teresa feel? Judging from her memoirs, not very good at all. In fact at times, because of the Dark Night of the Soul that she experienced (as has been experienced by numerous saints and mystics from St. John of the Cross forward), she sometimes doubted God's existence altogether. Suffice it to say that Jesus didn't make her feel "warm and fuzzy" all the time. And, forgive me, but Miss Reda seems to be disparaging that experience as if it is worthless, when in reality it is a mysterious gift of God in order to show us that feelings and emotions are not supreme, but rather doing the Will of God is what is supreme. I think at the very least this consecrated virgin's words are in very poor taste and in my mind belittle the heroically virtuous lives of many saints.

So, I know I'm being finicky, and I really am immsensely grateful for this woman's vocation, but the whole thing just sort of struck me in the wrong way.

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 05/25/09 06:32 PM.
L
L
Anyway, Brooke Shields had a very unusual childhood. Remember that in the film Pretty Baby (1978) [usccb.org], Shields starred nude at the age of twelve, something which can only be seen as a form of child abuse and/or child pornography. In this, Shields is a victim, and it is no wonder that she became self-conscious about her body later on.

L
L
I think as human beings we do have a fundamental desire for commitment, whether it be to God or to another human being. This may not be what most people are saying, but I think the desire for commitment is fundamental to human nature. Yet there are people who do not seem to be called either to married life or to community life. What will these people commit themselves to? The only possible answer for Christians is that they have to commit themselves completely and exclusively to Christ, perhaps through a vow of chastity. Women can do this by becoming consecrated virgins. But what can men who are in this situation do?

Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
I think as human beings we do have a fundamental desire for commitment, whether it be to God or to another human being. This may not be what most people are saying, but I think the desire for commitment is fundamental to human nature. Yet there are people who do not seem to be called either to married life or to community life. What will these people commit themselves to? The only possible answer for Christians is that they have to commit themselves completely and exclusively to Christ, perhaps through a vow of chastity. Women can do this by becoming consecrated virgins.

I wonder if they would allow women to join this vocation that are not literally 'virgins', but may have recomitted themselves to living virginally (as in a conscious spiritual, mental and physical commitment)? I think that such women should also be included.

But what can men who are in this situation do?

Men could then do the same, and be 'consecrated bachelors'.

In many countries, women entered convents and monasteries after their husbands died (sometimes quite young) and these women became nuns. They were still allowed to be 'married' to Christ and His Church.

Alice #323031 05/25/09 08:59 PM
Dear Alexis,

Giving Miss Reda the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the emotions she is hung up on are those of not having felt a 'calling' (I would assume that is some sort of spiritual emotion/feeling) to the sisterhood when she visited them. The aura of the particular convent she visited just wasn't for her. It did not speak to her. It could have been the particular convent, or it could have been any convent she vistited. Obviously, what she got out of it, was 'leaving the world', and that is not something she wanted to 'give up'...I see nothing wrong with that, nor did I read into it that she was belittling nuns by her statement. smile

Regards,
Alice

Alice #323032 05/25/09 09:03 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Alice
I think as human beings we do have a fundamental desire for commitment, whether it be to God or to another human being. This may not be what most people are saying, but I think the desire for commitment is fundamental to human nature. Yet there are people who do not seem to be called either to married life or to community life. What will these people commit themselves to? The only possible answer for Christians is that they have to commit themselves completely and exclusively to Christ, perhaps through a vow of chastity. Women can do this by becoming consecrated virgins.

I wonder if they would allow women to join this vocation that are not literally 'virgins', but may have recomitted themselves to living virginally (as in a conscious spiritual, mental and physical commitment)? I think that such women should also be included.
I understand that to become a consecrated virgin it is necessary that you have not been married and have not lived openly in a manner contrary to chastity.

Originally Posted by Alice

Men could then do the same, and be 'consecrated bachelors'.

In many countries, women entered convents and monasteries after their husbands died (sometimes quite young) and these women became nuns. They were still allowed to be 'married' to Christ and His Church.
I have heard of "confirmed bachelors," but that usually means something quite different.

Of course, in addition to the Order of Virgins, there used to be an Order of Widows. I somehow imagine this may have been quite a formidable group of ladies!

L
L
Alice,

You're probably right. Again, I'm very thankful for her vocation. It's just that something about the article and her words struck me the wrong way.

I should probably lighten up!

Alexis

Online Content

Some years ago a man was consecrated as a hermit--I believe in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

the gentleman had built a small chapel in his home and spent many hours each day in prayer. He worked just enough to pay his bills and do some charitable giving. He lived a very austere life by the published account and rarely went out to mix in the world around him.

Certainly not what a consecrated virgin does--by the description here--but something a man has done.

BOB

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Alice,

You're probably right. Again, I'm very thankful for her vocation. It's just that something about the article and her words struck me the wrong way.

I should probably lighten up!

Alexis

We could say it's the 'lawyer' in you Alex - rofl - geesss, and you haven't even started yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.