The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
O
And this is about to call the wrath of Admins down on me for being drastically off topic

I was trying to reply to your post of #331127

but I couldn't , as you edited it , so mine was no longer relevant - and it kept happening frown

Now back to our topic of Calendars for the umpteenth time frown

L
L
I would love to know your response to my post #331127! Again, I'm sorry I made it difficult for you.

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
Those of us who love the Old Calendar and do not propose to abandon it are unlikely to change our view. I've stated my own position repeatedly.

Fr. Serge
ok, I'm asking for the view. What is the Old Calendar doing that the Gregorian isn't? To my way of seeing it, I do not see any incompatibility in the Gregorian calendar regarding the Paschal cycle and the Typicon. Is there one?

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

The topic as I've explained is not just about the calendars. The topic is not even one calendar versus another. The topic, in part, is what, if anything, is special about the Julian calendar that isn't in the Gregorian regarding the paschal cycle and the typicon.

L
L
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

The topic as I've explained is not just about the calendars. The topic is not even one calendar versus another. The topic, in part, is what, if anything, is special about the Julian calendar that isn't in the Gregorian regarding the paschal cycle and the typicon.
This is a very good question. I would love to get an answer to this. After all, the Orthodox Church of Finland celebrates Easter according to the Gregorian calendar, so it cannot be all bad, can it?

L
L
I'm not interested in convincing followers of the Julian calendar that they should switch to the Gregorian one. That seems to me a futile cause. But I am interested to know if they think that I and all those who use the Gregorian calendar are on the wrong path.

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Naturally, the Gregorian calendar has little to recommend itself to Orthodox Christians. It is bad enough that it was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII, Bishop of Rome,
As one source puts it:
The term "Revised Julian" is informative primarily in describing the fact that it replaces the de facto Orthodox endorsement of the Julian scheme, and has the effect of avoiding any implicit recognition of Pope Gregory XIII's promulgation of a system with the same goals and general approach in the Gregorian reform of 1582.
link [en.wikipedia.org]

The irony is that the Julian calendar was introduced by Julius Caesar.

.. but it is even worse that it was imposed on the Russian people by the atheist Communist regime.
True in a sense, but I didn't think its use as a civil calendar was any problem since it didn't affect the liturgical calendar. For instance:

Old/New Calendar
Imperial Russia operated on the 'old-style' Julian calendar (statyi stil), which was in common use in Europe after it was authorized by Julius Caesar in 46 B.C. However, after 1582, most Western European countries adopted the 'new-style' Gregorian calendar (novyi stil) proclaimed by Pope Gregory XIII, which abolished the leap year for centenary years not exactly divisible by 400. By the 19th century, the old-style calendar was 12 days behind the new-style calendar (13 days behind in a leap-year). In February 1918, the Soviet Union adopted the new-style calendar; however, the Russian Orthodox Church still used the old-style calendar. In the calculation of any historical dates, therefore, one must take into account whether the old-style or new-style calendar was in use.
link [doukhobor.org]

A problem with Sunday being compromised as a day of rest is an issue, but that would have been the case for either calendar. See link [en.wikipedia.org] .

S
S
Few people understand the intricacies of celestial mechanics or the measurement of time. For them, the calendar is something taken for granted, and changes to it tend to be resisted viscerally. When England switched from Julian to Gregorian in 1752, there were disturbances by workers convinced they had been cheated out of eleven days' pay.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by StuartK
Few people understand the intricacies of celestial mechanics or the measurement of time. For them, the calendar is something taken for granted, and changes to it tend to be resisted viscerally. When England switched from Julian to Gregorian in 1752, there were disturbances by workers convinced they had been cheated out of eleven days' pay.

I can sympathesize! Heck, when I was in high school and occasionally working overnight, I was convinced that - if I worked the night that the clock was set back - I would be cheated out of an hour (and that I best be sure that I got scheduled for the other, to make it up) biggrin

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Few people understand the intricacies of celestial mechanics or the measurement of time. For them, the calendar is something taken for granted, ...

Yes. I thought that in past threads the scientific angle was dealt with quite thoroughly, especially for an internet forum. The issue here, as the title indicates, is multi-faceted, and the issue of science and accuracy is there to harmonize our grid for timekeeping, a calendar of our construction, with the movements of the sun, earth, and moon, the "calendar" of God's construction. So that seems worthwhile; there is theology there if one is willing to see it.

Beyond that a question remains: What, if anything, makes the Julian calendar unique in its interaction with the typicon and the spiritual and liturgical rhythm and cycles of the day and year? For that matter, and even more basically, what is meant by the typicon?

John
John
Originally Posted by ajk
Beyond that a question remains: What, if anything, makes the Julian calendar unique in its interaction with the typicon and the spiritual and liturgical rhythm and cycles of the day and year? For that matter, and even more basically, what is meant by the typicon?
It seems to me that the intention of those who created the Julian calendar was to create an accurate calendar. They came close but were not totally accurate. The Gregorian changes simply fixed the errors of the Julian, returning it to what was intended by those who created the Julian calendar and what the Church Fathers thought they were getting. I've never understood the heavy emotions involved, even allowing that a few within the East are so anti-papal that they would reject solid science.

The typicon (the order we follow as Church) developed with the assumption that the Julian calendar was accurate. But, to be fair, while the pagan inventors of the Julian calendar know it was not perfect they did not appear to realize how much it was going to slip and how soon.

I don't see those who have made the Julian calendar part and parcel of their theology as being able to be convinced of anything. Time is the only answer here.

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite

I can sympathesize!

Indeed. It was, of course, calendar time that was being removed, not God's time. That being so, there was still a practical issue that did need to be taken into account since the calendar time was, and is, used in our various activities and obligations. The Pope noted this in promulgating the reformed calendar:
But so that this ten days removal does not cause any injury with whomever must carry out monthly or annual payments, it will fall to the judges, in any litigation which could result from it, to take account of the aforementioned removal by deferring ten days the expiration of any payment.
link [bluewaterarts.com]

John
John
Originally Posted by Father Anthony
Well ajk,

I respectfully disagree with your comments. How many calendar threads do we need to see going? This at least the third this calendar year, and some the arguments being used are re-hashes and maybe the lack of responses is due to many just being tired of the same thing constantly. So you wanted a ruling and now I am the third to disagree with you. I also feel that you are using this topic as a soap box since it is a repeat of comments made in other threads of the same nature before, and that I do not offer any apology for that.

I am personally sick of seeing this issue being brought up repeatedly. If there was something that was of value, then it might be worthwhile.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
The calendar issue is not something that concerns me all that much, and I often worship in a Julian Calendar parish. But since we allow other topics to be discussed repeatedly I'm not sure it's appropriate to discourage repeated discussions of only the Julian calendar. Everyone has their soapbox where issues are discussed repeatedly (mine is liturgy!) so it seems openness and flexibility are in order.

I suppose we could ask posters to start no more then one discussion of the Julian calendar ever 13 days? biggrin

John
John
I'm not interested in convincing followers of the Julian calendar that they should switch to the Gregorian one. That seems to me a futile cause. But I am interested to know if they think that I and all those who use the Gregorian calendar are on the wrong path.
Some do and some don't. I've met Orthodox who would support a full switch to the Gregorian (even for Pascha). And I've met Orthodox who condemn other Orthodox for moving to the Gregorian calendar for the fixed feasts (Christmas). Father David referenced something very telling. I have met a few people who insist that our Lord was born on January 7th, for they did not know that the Julian calendar celebrates Christmas on December 25th and that December 25th just (currently) falls 13 days late.

S
S
But, insofar as the world does not use the Julian Calendar, 25 December Julian is 7 January for all intents and purposes. It really does no good to say, "Well, you may think it's 7 January, but it's really 25 December." I only have to look at the elevation of the sun at noon to see that isn't the case. I can look at my daughter Bronwyn's birth certificate, and it says 7 January, not 25 December, for all that she likes to think of herself as a Christmas Baby.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.