The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
RomanPylypiv, CKW2024, Karolina, The Western Easter, Davidp1278
6,095 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (RomanPylypiv, Roman), 267 guests, and 108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,459
Posts417,201
Members6,095
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dear Friends,

Although religion is a topic that comes up in my daily work at the legislature, I've just been given an interesting letter to respond to.

It is by someone who also included a Protestant article of some sort that refers to Pope Benedict in very unflattering terms - rather anti-Catholic.

I've been asked not to be too controversial in responding to it . . .

That the fellow who wrote it has taken a controversial stance . . . that's O.K.!

Sheesh!

Alex

Dear Friends,

"Ukrainian Orthodoxy" has put this Akathist on its website . . . wink

http://www.unicorne.org/orthodoxy

Hopefully, I won't get into any more trouble there . . . wink

Alex

A
A Offline
Alex,

I don't know when, but I'm thinking of translating two of your Akathists: Akathist to Pope John Paul, and another one is to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, into Indonesian and distribute it, if you Ok about that.

I know that won't be able to perserve your poetry though.

Dear Alfonsus,

Please do so, my friend, at any time!

May God bless your efforts!

Tarima Kasi!

Alex

Christ is in our midst!!

I made this topic sticky until the time of Pope Jon Paul's beatification so that any of our members who might wish to make use of the Akathist might have opportunity to copy if for their private use.

Bob

G
G Offline
'Rejoice' as a translation of XAIPE is wrong. The greeting of Gabriel to Our Lady should be rendered in English as "Hail" and not "Rejoice."

True, xaire comes from the root-word meaning rejoice, but it is used here, and in most instances in the New Testament, as a solemn greeting, and should be translated into English with the word used in solemn greeting that is natural to our language, which is Hail.

Let us remember that when Gabriel came to Mary, he spoke to her in Hebrew (or Aramaic), not in Greek. Thus when he greeted her, he said "Shalom." Should we then say, "Peace to thee, Mary, full of grace...? This is not what the Holy Spirit inspired Saint Luke to do; rather the True Author of Holy Scripture guided the Evangelist to use the common word for solemn greeting natural to Greek: Chaire

Why then is this word, which has the root meaning of rejoice, so used?

In every language there is a word used in solemn greeting which wishes some kind of blessing or happiness to the one being greeted. Hebrew, as we noted wishes peace, Greek wishes rejoicing, Latin wishes health (Ave or Salve) as does also English (Hail, from the root hal, meaning whole). In Hawaiian the word of greeting is Aloha which means love, but used as a greeting it's not meant to say "I love you" - it is the way to say "I give you greeting and wish you well." It would be absurd for a Hawaiian to say "Peace, Mary..." or Rejoice Mary..." but completely natural to say "Aloha Maria..."

Here is my translation of the Greek form of the Hail Mary:

Hail, O Virgin Theotokos, Mary full of grace; the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Savior of our souls.

G
G Offline
Each "Rejoice' should be made 'Hail...'

Gabriel:

Christ is in our midst!!

Dr. Roman wrote this akathist in English, as far as we know. So how does a Greek word enter it?

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 02/20/11 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
D
D Offline
Hi Alphonsus,
If you don't mind, please do email me your translation. I would like to see it. I am also from Indonesia, Jakarta to be specific.
In Christ,

Davin P

C
C Offline
We'll be using this Akathist on May 1st. Hopefully I can get people from other parishes, both Byzantine and RC to come.

Davin:

Christ is in our midst!!

Please look at the date of the post. It's five and a half years old and the poster may no longer be active here.

Bob

A
A Offline
Hi Davin, I got the akathist long ago, but not yet finish translating it due to study abroad etc. during working on it.
I'll see to salvage the translation if I still can find it, I got several technical errors here and there, changing computers, etc.

I try sending you private message, but unable to do so. It is over private limits, don't know what that means though.

D
D Offline
Apparently, also, I cannot PM you. I wish to know more about you. Are you in Indonesia now? Is there any way I can contact you? Thanks.

davinpa:

New members are on restriction for a period of time. That restricts pm privileges.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 02/20/11 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Alfonsus, you should be able to PM davinpa by the end of the weekend, at latest.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.