The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#376536 02/29/12 09:42 PM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
What do you think? I am not sure I like it (well I like the under structure but not the white wavy/weave awning thing).

http://arch-group.org/portfolio/arx/0/#0

Apparently Pres.Sarkozy and Pres. Medvedev approved it, but the Mayor of Paris is furious.

It looks like the Church is lifting her skirts! shocked

O
O
yersssss - well- ummmm - it's different

J
J
The rendering of the gardens under that canopy looks nice, but the rest of it begs the question... why?!

S
S
Hagia Sophia in Kyiv covered with a tablecloth.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by StuartK
Hagia Sophia in Kyiv covered with a tablecloth.

LOL! That was very funny, Stuart! grin

I didn't know that you had it in you! wink

J
JEK Offline
J
Right Alice, I cannot for the life of me believe this
Project won international architectural competition, totally strange considering the Russian church in Nice (constructed in 1912, St. Nicholas) really takes it hands down in my humble opinion and has quite a colorful history attached to it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/La_Cathedrale_Orthodoxe_Russe_Saint-Nicolas.jpg

To each his own as they say.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JEK
Right Alice, I cannot for the life of me believe this
Project won international architectural competition, totally strange considering the Russian church in Nice (constructed in 1912, St. Nicholas) really takes it hands down in my humble opinion and has quite a colorful history attached to it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/La_Cathedrale_Orthodoxe_Russe_Saint-Nicolas.jpg

To each his own as they say.

How beautiful!

J
JEK Offline
J
Here is one more Alice, the Church of St. Alexander Nevski in Paris, this is the church all the Royalty and others who fled the Bolehvick revolution ended up at mostly, Paris had a sizable community after the revolution, the church is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and was constructed in 1861. A ton of royality walked through these doors thats for sure and opposite the Cathedral (Raised to this status in 1922) there is Russian restaurant, À la Ville de Petrograd, used to host such Russian notables as Stravinsky, Diaghilev and Nabokov. A bit of history long gone and never to be seen again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Cathedrale-A--Nevski-Paris-.jpg

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JEK
Here is one more Alice, the Church of St. Alexander Nevski in Paris, this is the church all the Royalty and others who fled the Bolehvick revolution ended up at mostly, Paris had a sizable community after the revolution, the church is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and was constructed in 1861. A ton of royality walked through these doors thats for sure and opposite the Cathedral (Raised to this status in 1922) there is Russian restaurant, À la Ville de Petrograd, used to host such Russian notables as Stravinsky, Diaghilev and Nabokov. A bit of history long gone and never to be seen again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Cathedrale-A--Nevski-Paris-.jpg

Wow, this one is stunningly beautiful! smile

S
S
Are there not already two Russian Orthodox cathedrals in Paris, one for ROCOR, the other for the Patriarchal Church? St. Alexander Nevsky may be small and a bit threadbare, but it's very beautiful and deserves a full restoration before money is sunk into a new temple.

J
JEK Offline
J
Dear StuartK

Saint-Alexandre-Nevsky Cathedral built in 1861 and which was the magnet for those royality and others fleeing the revolution (and yes, it really does need some exterior remodleing, look at its interior
http://travelwithterry.blogspot.com/2008/06/cathdrale-st-alexander-nevsky.html
Under the EP

And...last but not least

All Saints of Russia Church (Synod/ROCOR), Paris: All Saints of Russia Church, 19 rue Claude Lorrain, 75016 Paris, France

But, in total, I see it appears there are three ROCOR parishes

One in the 13th arrondissement, 16th arrondissemont and one in Meudon (suburb).

I would have to check further, these could be mission type churches, not positive. With all these parishes, which I am sure probably follow traditional patterns, why they sunk money into that church by the Effile Tower in Paris is beyond me when they have these other beautiful churches already standing but, in desperate need of repairs.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I have to say that it most resembles some futuristic structure such as one usually sees at World Fairs and other such venues. It may have won design competitions, but those who vote in such obviously do not include students of historic Eastern church architecture. As to the underlying structure, I can't say that I'm much more impressed. It has a look of porcelain plumbing about it.

Frankly, overall, it is a reminder that it is significantly more important what transpires inside God's temples than it is what such offer as an exterior visual appearance.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
Saint-Alexandre-Nevsky Cathedral built in 1861 and which was the magnet for those royality and others fleeing the revolution (and yes, it really does need some exterior remodleing, look at its interior

I was actually there, fairly recently. The interior is indeed glorious, but in need of cleaning and refurbishing. The carpeting is quite worn, the icons are encrusted with decades of soot, which also rises up the columns from the lampadas. A lot of the woodwork and gilding is worn from the touch of generations of worshipers. It's a treasure, and should be preserved.

Regarding the other churches, there were, last year, two real parishes in addition to missions, in metropolitan Paris. It's a big place, and the Russian/Slavic community is growing, but I think it would be better to develop more local parishes than to throw money into one huge showpiece.

J
JEK Offline
J
Stuart, I agree with you and yes, it is a bit worn and in need of a good "shalacking" as my baba used to say, I dont understand why these churches are left in such conditions, (possibly it is some type of society custom, I have seen this in other churches where the attention is not on the interior/exterior, I have seen it first hand in Europe and in America in these jurisdictions)

I totally agree however, why throw good money to bad on this new structure in Paris (I dont blame the Mayor of Paris for being upset, I agree with him), when you have other parishes serving the needs of their members, it seems quite foolish to implement this new project but possibly the idea is to make some type of unspoken statement, in my opinion its just a pity and very foolhardy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.