The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
RomanPylypiv, CKW2024, Karolina, The Western Easter, Davidp1278
6,095 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 350 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,459
Posts417,200
Members6,095
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#399679 10/02/13 06:17 PM
Dear Friends,

Diveyevo Monastery has a long relationship with St Seraphim of Sarov who, throughout his life, used the Lestovka to pray with.

This is the monastery where the nuns and pilgrims walk around the pathway surrounding the monastic complex every day reciting 150 Hail Mary's. And they make Lestovkas to order!

They make the regular Lestovka, the 150-step Lestovka for saying the Rule of the Theotokos, another smaller Lestovka with 50 steps for saying the Rule of the Theotokos and a smaller thirty-step Lestovka.

What is REALLY wonderful is that they insert little scrolls with the Jesus Prayer written in Slavonic on them into EACH step of each Lestovka. They insert a scroll with the "Rejoice Theotokos Virgin" or "Hail Mary" into each of the steps of the Theotokos Lestovka - as indicated on the front page. smile

They also make them in various colours. Black for daily use, blue for use with the Theotokos Lestovka, white for weddings and major feastdays (for laity only), black with additional colours for feastdays celebrated by monastics, red for Pascha and special feastdays. One may order in whichever colour one wishes.

They can communicate with you in Russian, Ukrainian and some English.

The site also has some articles in Russian about the significance of the Lestovka throughout the history of Orthodox Rus'.

http://lestovka-diveevo.ru/

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 10/02/13 06:19 PM.
P
P Offline
Alex,

Thank you for posting this information on Lestovki and where and how to purchase them. They are a useful method of prayer and meditation.

Another closer source is the Erie Russian Orthodox Old Rite Church of the Nativity Bookstore. They offer White and Black Vinyl and Leather Lestovki as well as other materials on Russian Old Ritualists. Also, if you contact their parish office, they will add you to their monthly newsletter which is a good source of information on the local priested church community.

http://shop.churchofthenativity.net/products/lestovki

P
P Offline
I'm drooling! Would that I had the money for one (and could read Russian well enough to order one). smile

Dear Master Beadsman,

Your lestovki are excellent and I use them all the time!

I"ll see about getting you a leather one.

Alex

Dear Polish American (May I call you "PolAmski?" smile I'm much given to hypocorism, you know . . .)

The Erie shop is very good, but the vinyl lestovkas aren't very - they will rip and the leather ones are the way to go.

The lestovkas from Diveyevo are THE most traditional Russian ones, coming in various colours (which is, as you know, the old Russian way).

In addition, each of their Lestovkas has a piece of wood or soil from the actual "kanavka" or path that surrounds Diveyevo inserted into them.

It was St Seraphim of Sarov who counselled people to take a portion of soil from there as they fulfilled the 150 Hail Mary rule.

To have such a Lestovka is to own a piece of spiritual history.

There are some who have written that St Seraphim was himself a practitioner of the Old Rite in a number of respects as seen from his life. Many Russian monasteries, although they were not "Old Rite" in the sense they were excommunicated as such, kept up Old Rite traditions nevertheless, including the two-fingered Sign of the Cross and other Old Rite traditions.

While Old Rite Orthodox do not venerate St Seraphim of Sarov, they should, these individuals conclude, because he was in every which way a follower of the Old Rite himself.

Diveyevo, to this day, and its devotion to the Lestovka, bears witness to an ancient and even complex Russian spiritual sacramental that once united all of Russian Orthodoxy.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 10/03/13 05:36 AM.
Alex,

I am very interested in obtaining a lestovka from Diveyevo. Do you know how much they cost?

Jeff

Dear Jeff,

The 109 step lestovkas are about $60.00 or so.

You can specify the colour you would like it in.

Write them a note in English and they will respond. I don't write in Russian, so I wrote to them in Ukrainian and . . . lo and behold, the people in the administrative offices there are all from Ukraine . . .

Give it a try.

Alex

Alex,

Thank you for your quick response! I'll get in touch with them.

Jeff

I cherish my black leather lestovka! smile

What is truly edifying is how in old Russia even business people would keep their Lestovkas in their left hands as they went about their work, ceaselessly repeating the Jesus Prayer.

We can do that today in many contexts.

It is also good to have one's neck Cross on at all times and to gaze spiritually on it with our focus as we pray.

Alex

P
P Offline
Hi Alex,

So happy to hear you're still using my Lestovki. laugh

I sent you an email and was just wanting to make sure you got it. It's been so long since we chatted that I was worried you may have changed your email address.

P
P Offline
AMEN!!!

If it was possible in old Russia, then it's possible here in North America.

Amen to you, Master Beadsman!

I've made contact and will just see if everything runs smoothly before proceeding with you-know-what.

Salutations!

Alex

I ordered a lestovka from Diveevo on the 8th of October. According to the tracking I was provided it went to "export of international mail" on the 16th. Any idea how long delivery will be made?

Jeff

Hello sir,

I've no idea as my lestovka was just mailed on Thursday of this week. I also ordered a medal of St Seraphim of Sarov on one side, and the Mother of God of Tender Feeling on the other that was sent out with the lestovka.

I'm going to be a bit on edge until it arrives - just can't wait to get it.

If both yourself and the Master Beadsman could notify me here when you do get yours, I will inform Diveyevo as they would like to know.

Alex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.