The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
RomanPylypiv, CKW2024, Karolina, The Western Easter, Davidp1278
6,095 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (volodymyr), 287 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,459
Posts417,201
Members6,095
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
A Offline
Originally Posted by mardukm
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
You make it sound like Fr. Hardon is the only person to have talked about this doctrine. Get real. Fr. Hardon - in all his various books - is merely restating the common Roman Catholic teaching.
I just stated that he represents a very popular form of Latin Catholicism. How could you possibly derive ANY notion that Fr. Hardon is "the only person to have talked about this doctrine(sic)" from what I stated? confused

Blessings,
Marduk
Why question Fr. Hardon at all? He has legitimate credentials as a Catholic theologian, what do you have? Nothing.

M
M Offline
I have two comments:

(1) AFAIK, that sin had no dominion over Mary is the position of the entire Catholic Church, not just the "Roman Catholics."
That is not what I have been taught as a Melkite Catholic. I have been taught that Mary was sinless, but no one has ever taught (or discussed with me in private) the idea that Mary was outside of the dominion of this sinful world. But then as a Melkite I have never been taught that Mary was immaculately conceived either.
I did not say that Mary is outside the dominion of this sinful world (Mary still grieved, she was prone to natural sickness, she even experienced mortality). I said that sin (the spiritual condition) had no dominion over Mary.

(2) The notion that Mary could actually lose them is an interesting concept. Mary could never lose them, if you mean by this that God could ever stop giving her Graces. God ALWAYS gives Grace, even to the sinner. But the actuation of the Grace depends on the volition of the person.
I see nothing wrong with this idea, but it is not what I was taught in my Mariology courses. I was taught that Mary always responded and that her response was predestined. Personally I agree with the comment, but I do not believe that it represents the common teaching of the Roman Church.

I believe the Latin Church teaches that "predestination" is only "foreknowledge" - not God MAKING a person do what He wants ahead of time. So free volition is always an element of the Latin Church's understanding of Predestination.

I was taught - as a Roman Catholic while working on my MA degree - that it was not possible for Mary to voluntarily (or even involuntarily) turn away from God. Her will - by grace - was perfectly attuned to the divine will, and nothing could alter that, that is, nothing internal to her being or external to it could separate her from God.
The statement "it was not possible for Mary to voluntarily turn away from God" actually can have two philosophical interpretations. It can mean:
(1) God created a person who he imbued with Grace so she cannot sin and thus be able to be the Theotokos;

OR

(2) God foreknew of a woman who would always choose His will, and chose this woman to be Theotokos. If God knew she would waver, He would never have chosen her.

The second one is how I would interpret it.

One of the big differences between a good portion of Protestantism and the Catholic Church is the idea of "irresistible Grace." The Catholic Church, the Latin Catholic Church in particular, opposes this error. So it cannot be the case that when St. Eymard stated what he did, he meant that Mary could not resist the Grace given to her. I believe what is meant by the Latin Saint's statement is simply that Mary NEVER WANTED to oppose God's will. THere's nothing doctrinally wrong with that.
This is one of those times when Catholics want to have it both ways. There is an article by Fr. Peter Fehlner in which he speaks about Mary's being incapable of sinning, but still being free. He thinks of it in paradoxical terms. Mary could not sin, it was something she did not have the ability to do, and yet she was still free in all her choices.
Good point. I tend to think that these particular Latin theologians are either intentionally contradicting Catholic teaching, or are somehow able to satisfactorily rationalize their apparent inconsistencies in their own minds (rationalizations to which I am not privy). On the other hand, I do notice that while paradox is so easy to accept in the context of the non-Latin experience, when it occurs in the Latin context, it is often ridiculed even by those who accept paradox as a natural feature of our Faith.

Blessings,
Marduk

Last edited by mardukm; 10/20/13 12:02 PM.
A
A Offline
I have two comments:

(1) AFAIK, that sin had no dominion over Mary is the position of the entire Catholic Church, not just the "Roman Catholics."
That is not what I have been taught as a Melkite Catholic. I have been taught that Mary was sinless, but no one has ever taught (or discussed with me in private) the idea that Mary was outside of the dominion of this sinful world. But then as a Melkite I have never been taught that Mary was immaculately conceived either.
I did not say that Mary is outside the dominion of this sinful world (Mary still grieved, she was prone to natural sickness, she even experienced mortality). I said that sin (the spiritual condition) had no dominion over Mary.
As a Melkite I have been taught that Mary was subject to the original sin, and so she was not impeccable, because she was subject to sin, as we all are, but by an act of her will in cooperation with the divine energy Mary chose not to sin.

M
M Offline
Why question Fr. Hardon at all? He has legitimate credentials as a Catholic theologian, what do you have? Nothing.
I already stated why - didn't you read my comment about my convert friend? In any case, if you want to accept the word of Latin theologians as the be all and end all of the Latin Catholic Faith, that's your prerogative. I choose to depend on their episcopal Magisterium if I want to have knowledge about what the Latin Catholic Church actually teaches.

Blessings,
Marduk

A
A Offline
I believe the Latin Church teaches that "predestination" is only "foreknowledge" - not God MAKING a person do what He wants ahead of time. So free volition is always an element of the Latin Church's understanding of Predestination.
I do not believe that this statement is accurate. Please supply supporting evidence from an approved Catholic source (i.e., a theologian or Scholastic, or even - if you prefer - a magisterial document).

Note that I do not limit you to "magisterial" sources, but if you have one then by all means post it. That said, failing the production of some type of supporting information (like I have been providing in this thread on Mary's impeccability) I must hold that the statement is simply your opinion, and I do not recognize you as a Catholic authority.

A
A Offline
I already stated why - didn't you read my comment about my convert friend? In any case, if you want to accept the word of Latin theologians as the be all and end all of the Latin Catholic Faith, that's your prerogative. I choose to depend on their episcopal Magisterium if I want to have knowledge about what the Latin Catholic Church actually teaches.
I have read your statement, which appears to be an attack upon Fr. Hardon's good name. As a Christian you should refrain from those types of attacks. Be that as it may, why should I believe what you say over what Fr. Hardon has written? Why are your comments important and his unimportant (or simply "popular" Latin theology)?

M
M Offline
This is the common "out" for modern Roman Catholics, but the vast majority of the faith is not to be found in magisterial documents.
Sure, but if you claim it is their doctrine, you should be able to find some MAGISTERIAL documents to support your claim. You have given none. I'll accept a statement like "the majority of Latin Catholic believe...," but that does not mean it is their official teaching (i.e., doctrine).
Not every doctrine - moral or dogmatic - has a magisterial text to back it up. In fact, magisterial texts are only issued when a doctrine that was peacefully accepted for centuries is questioned persistently. For example, the moral doctrine that abortion is grave crime was only mentioned in an authoritative magisterial document in the 1990s. Prior to that it was mentioned in some curial texts, but again only dating from the 1970s onward. It was only because of the prevalence of abortion (and the propaganda in support of it) that Pope John Paul II issued the encyclical Evangelium Vitae, so for 1990 years there had never been a definitive magisterial document on abortion until circumstances finally called for one.
Sure, but you cannot deny that the question of how "impeccability" is itself to be defined is still an open question in Latin Catholic circles. So it is theologoumena, not doctrine.

Where is it taught in a magisterial document that all the blood Christ bled upon the cross was restored to His body after His resurrection? Nowhere, and yet that is the common doctrine in the West based upon the reality of the hypostatic union. I have supplied over a dozen quotations from reputable Catholic sources and your response is: "I want a magisterial document." Sorry, but the faith does not work that way.
Can you read. I told it that all of Christ's blood returning to his body in the resurrection has not been taught in any magisterial document, but the doctrine is a consequence of the dogma of the hypostatic union. The Word of God was hypostatically united to His human nature, which includes His blood, and so when He rose His blood was restored to Him. It is a common doctrine founded upon the prior dogma. [/quote]
True. And it is an accepted doctrine because no one has questioned it. But how "impeccability" itself is defined is still an open question in Latin Catholic circles, and has been so from the very beginning. So it is theologoumenon, not doctrine.

Blessings,
Marduk

A
A Offline
The statement "it was not possible for Mary to voluntarily turn away from God" actually can have two philosophical interpretations. It can mean:
(1) God created a person who he imbued with Grace so she cannot sin and thus be able to be the Theotokos;

OR

(2) God foreknew of a woman who would always choose His will, and chose this woman to be Theotokos. If God knew she would waver, He would never have chosen her.

The second one is how I would interpret it.
Since I do not accept your restrictive use of the term "predestination" to mean only "foreknowledge" I reject your conclusion. Please support your contention that Catholics when speaking about predestination really only mean foreknowledge from some reputable (i.e., ecclesiastically approved) theologian or other source.

A
A Offline
Mardukm,

Why should I take your word on this doctrine over that of the approved theologians I have quoted?

God bless,
Todd

Postscript: Mardukm, perhaps you can start a thread - so that this thread does not get hijacked from its proper topic - where you post quotations from approved Catholic theologians that hold this strange restrictive understanding of predestination.

M
M Offline
I have read your statement, which appears to be an attack upon Fr. Hardon's good name. As a Christian you should refrain from those types of attacks. Be that as it may, why should I believe what you say over what Fr. Hardon has written? Why are your comments important and his unimportant (or simply "popular" Latin theology)?
If you want to assign infallibility to every Latin theologian you read, that's your problem, not mine.

Blessings,
Marduk

A
A Offline
If you want to assign infallibility to every Latin theologian you read, that's your problem, not mine.
I have not assigned infallibility to anyone. I have asked that you stop attacking Fr. Hardon's character. He was a great theologian, and died in the peace of the Church.

As far as infallibility is concerned, I do not even assign infallibility to the pope. But please keep on topic. If you want to discuss other topics create new threads.

A
A Offline
True. And it is an accepted doctrine because no one has questioned it. But how "impeccability" itself is defined is still an open question in Latin Catholic circles, and has been so from the very beginning. So it is theologoumenon, not doctrine.
I have not found texts by reputable Catholic theologians that question the impeccability of the Virgin Mother of God, and as you can see I have been doing quite a lot of research on the topic.

A
A Offline
Good point. I tend to think that these particular Latin theologians are either intentionally contradicting Catholic teaching, or are somehow able to satisfactorily rationalize their apparent inconsistencies in their own minds (rationalizations to which I am not privy). On the other hand, I do notice that while paradox is so easy to accept in the context of the non-Latin experience, when it occurs in the Latin context, it is often ridiculed even by those who accept paradox as a natural feature of our Faith.
Your opinion in this post is interesting, but not supported. All the texts that I have quoted so far in this thread have been printed with the proper ecclesiastical support. I have no reason to doubt that the authors are anything but faithful Catholic theologians.

A
A Offline
"30. What prerogatives does the Blessed Virgin possess?
An immaculate conception, perfect sanctity, divine maternity, perpetual virginity, assumption into heaven, and special titles to our regard.

31. In what does the Immaculate Conception of Mary consist?
In this, that from the first instant of her conception, she was preserved free from all stain of original sin.

32. Through whose merits was the Blessed Virgin preserved from original sin?
By an anticipated application of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Savior of mankind.

33. How was Jesus Mary's Redeemer?
Jesus Christ is the Redeemer of all; He redeemed sinners by paying their ransom, and His mother, by preserving her from the slavery of sin.

34. Was Mary impeccable?
Yes; by a special privilege of God, who confirmed her in grace. She never committed any sin, whether mortal or venial; she was always all fair and without spot.

35. Did Mary, even though impeccable, acquire merits?
Yes, she acquired merits without number and of such value as is known to God alone; for all her actions were done freely, under the impulse of actual grace, and with perfect charity."

Br. John Chrysostom
Course of Religious Instruction Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools
Manual of Christian Doctrine: Comprising Dogma, Moral, and Worship
29th Edition: Authorized English Version revised in accordance with the Code of 1918
(New York: John Joseph McVey, 1923)
Pages 77-79

M
M Offline
I have not found texts by reputable Catholic theologians that question the impeccability of the Virgin Mother of God, and as you can see I have been doing quite a lot of research on the topic.
Who said anything about questioning her impeccability? I said that the definition of "impeccability" is still being debated. Thus, it cannot be considered a doctrine. You really need to stop reading things into what others say.

Blessings,
Marduk

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.