The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have been using the Publican's Prayerbook for my private prayers, and I am very pleased with it. I want a second copy so my wife can follow along, but they have been out of stock for ages frown

Can anyone recommend an alternative prayer book that uses "modern" English?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
D
D
Fr. Deacon Lance,
If you are able, could you go into a bit more detail about the NewRome Press Prayer book? Specifically how is vespers and compline set for example? Does it contain any intercessory prayer? Does contain any variable portions of the weekly or seasonal cycles?

Blessings

I will gave Sadie Daegher at the Eparchy of Newton a call tomorrow to find the status of the Publican's Prayerbook. I know Father Theophan Leonarczyk, Chancellor of the Eparchy of Newton, did a great job. I will repost tomorrow after I talk to Sadie.

In the meantime, New Rome as two other great little prayer books, Mother of the Light, prayers directed to the Theotokos and Light of the World, prayers directed to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Father Maximos Constas put the books together and the aesthetics were overseen by Father Michael Monos, both great guys.

New Rome's books are, on aesthetic and quality grounds the best books produced in the Byzantine world, Orthodox or Catholic. The only western Catholic publisher that equals them on aesthetic and quality grounds is Baronius Press.

New Rome allows you to look inside their books. Go to their website, www.newromepress.com [newromepress.com] and look up the book and you will see some information that will help you. I can tell you that there is a lot less than the Publican's Prayerbook.

I
I
I am an avid 'collector' of prayer books and can echo the above reply regarding the quality of Newrome Press. There is no other Byzantine-focused publisher that surpasses them in quality and content--although the offerings in the mentioned prayer book is less than the Melkite Publican's Prayer Book. The Newrome book contains amazing full color, high-quality copies of icons from Mt. Athos as well as some proprietary line art with traditional Orthodox page frames and section embellishments, all on high quality paper with sewn binding.

The Orthodox Christian Prayer Book by Newrome Press says in its cover it's based on the order of "The Prayer Book" from Nea Moni on Mt. Athos so it's a very Athonite and Greek style.
Regarding its vespers and compline:

Vespers contains Psalm 103, 140, 141, "O joyful Light", it has each Vespers Prokimenon for each day of the week, "Grant Lord to keep us", and Prayer of St. Symeon God Receiver

Compline is actually Small Compline containing Psalm 50, 69, 142, Small Doxology, Symbol of Faith, rubrics on where to read preparatory prayers for Holy Communion (included in the book), "It is truly meet", St Basil's Prayer of the Hours ("You who at all times and hours"), a prayer to the Theotokos (by an Athonite monk), a prayer to Jesus Christ (by another of the same), prayer to ones Guardian Angel, and "To You Champion and Commander"

Let me know if you have any other Qs about the book and I'd be happy to answer.

D
D
Thank you, IntraArcan.

I have the pocket New Testament from Newrome Press and the book is certainly of high caliber. While I expect the their prayer book will be of the same quality construction, I am going to pass though. I am more interested in something that rotates through the propers of the liturgical cycle. I just ordered the Hours of Prayer from ACROD. It is spiral bound but at least contains some of the propers from the daily cycle for Sundays and weekdays, the Great Fests, Lent & Holy Week and the Penecostarion. I hope it holds me over till either the Publican Prayer Book becomes available or I receive my copy of the Anthology of Prayer from St. Ignatius Orthodox Press via Legacy Icons.

I spoke to Sadie today and the person who oversees the publication of the Publican's Prayerbook, Father Theophan Leonarczyk is sick. Please keep him in your prayers that he may return to health.

D
D
I am just checking in to see if there were any known updates yet on the Publican Prayer book?

Hi Devin,
You might try phoning Sophia Press at 617/323-9922.

D
D
I was able to call Sophia Press, the woman who answered the phone indicated the book would be available in "another month or so". So keeping fingers cross that it will be available sometime in April or May 2021. smile.

P
P
The Publican's Prayer Book is finally back in stock, for those who may be interested in purchasing a copy.

D
D
I have had the 4th edition for a few days now and I really appreciate it. New to the 4th edition are canons for the 12th great feasts. Otherwise much is the same as in the 3rd edition.

1 member likes this: Pomyluy

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.