The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
QuisUtDeus, James_890, Seryozha, Augustin C, CharlesN
6,080 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (MalpanaGiwargis), 222 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,440
Posts417,072
Members6,080
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#424574 07/11/24 02:34 PM
B
B Offline
Hey y'all, I could really use some prayers for my relationship. We've been dating for about a year now, and we are both very devout. However, in the last month to two months, I've felt a pull towards Eastern Catholicism in my prayer. I started going to Divne Liturgy at a Ruthenian rite Church nearby, and I've been to 3 so far, and have loved every single one of them. My girlfriend, however, has not felt this movement, and has grown estranged and almost concerned that I've been looking into the Byzantine Rite so much. Last week I brought her to her first Divine Liturgy, hoping and praying that she would see the same things that I see in the beauty of the Divine Liturgy. Instead, she hated it, said that she didn't see God there, and asked for me to drop her off at a Roman Catholic parish near my house so that she could feel like she went to a real mass.

It broke my heart, and for the first time in our relationship I felt, and she later agreed, like God was starting to call us in two separate directions and not together. I was going on a trip for my internship this week, so we decided to take some space. While here, I attended another Divine Liturgy, and felt strengthened and revitalized to go back to her with new insights and things to discuss, and at least some new glimmer of hope. Then, she texted me this morning after not responding to me last night, asking me to not talk to her and give her space, and that she didn't want to talk to me.

So prayers for us to either be mended, or for us to bear the cross of suffering of ending the relationship well, would be much appreciated. Thank you.

A
A Offline
I think there's something deeper than taste of liturgy there. I feel like she may have been using that for a pretext.
And the idea that it's not a "real" Mass is not a Catholic attitude. It's THAT attitude that prevents the schism from ending. If that is a real reason, explain to her the story of Bishop Ireland, forced Latinizations, and communist persecution. I'm not even an Eastern Catholic (yet, but I might be one day), and that felt really hurtful to me.
FYI, Pope Francis (literally, the POPE), has his own experience with Eastern Catholicism, https://catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bbergj.html
The Church breathes with BOTH lungs.
And, of course, y'all have my prayers.

Last edited by Adamcsc; 07/12/24 12:02 PM.
1 member likes this: Bryce
Christ is in our midst!!

Bryce,

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.