The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Mage, haiderbuttcs, Symeon03, Virginia, Raúl Fernández
6,067 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 277 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,430
Posts416,974
Members6,067
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65824 12/11/00 09:18 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Dear Friends,
I was wondering if any of you could help me. I plead abject ignorance in this topic. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the use of the Jesus prayer as unceasing prayer and the method behind it. I would like to pick up this practice, but would like to know what I'm doing. God bless.

#65825 12/11/00 09:47 PM
A
A
Dear Mor Ephrem:

I would suggest you read "The Way of the Pilgrim" and "The Pilgrim Continues His Way" (usually published together in one volume). These describe in a narrative way how one does this. Also, I would suggest you contact a Byzantine priest, monk, or bishop to assist you by giving you a regular routine so you're not on your own.

anastasios

#65826 12/17/00 01:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Mor Ephrem:
Dear Friends,
I would appreciate it if someone could explain the use of the Jesus prayer God bless.
From "Let Us Pray to the Lord, Vol. 1, Daily Office"
The Master, our Lord Jesus, taught his followers about "the necessity to pray always without becoming weary" (Luke 18:1). His advice was repeated by the apostle Paul, who wrote: "Pray without ceasing" (I Thessalonians 5:17)

The Lord's words and the apostolic counsel were observed by early Christians with short prayers which they recited frequently. The desert fathers and mothers of the Thebeid often used the prayer "Lord, have mercy." Using a creed: "Jesus Christ is Lord and Son of God" and augmented by the prayer of the Publican, " O God, have mercy on me a sinner" (Luke 18:13), the Kyrie eleison was expanded. The resultant prayer is know as the Jesus Prayer: LORD JESUS CHRIST, SON OF GOD, HAVE MERCY ON ME, A SINNER.

The Jesus Prayer is the foundation of the form of eastern spirituality called Hesychasm (quiet). The advoctes of this form of prayer call the practitioner to move from oral prayer, through the prayer of the mind to prayer of the heart.

The believer begins, according to the advice of Theophan, as if he or she had never prayed properly before. Reciting the Jesus prayer slowly, gently, quietly, the believer inhales while saying: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God," deeply breathing in God's name. Then, the believer rests slightly at "Son of God" before breathing out and saying: "have mercy on me, a sinner."
Next, the believer is direct4ed to stand or sit still and to confine his or her thoughts to the one word being uttered at that moment. The mind is to be emptied of all images, for this is not to be a meditation on Christ, instead, the believer is to become aware of the presence of Jesus. By remaining imageless, the experience of Jesus' presence is not one of the imagination. The believer works to bring scattered thoughts back to the words of the prayer, recalling the advice of Saint Joh Climacus: "Confine your mind within the words of prayer."

After recollection leads to proper breathing and then to the control of the mind, the believer must become aware of the presence of the Lord, not in the mind, but in the heart. Theophan says: "At present your throughts of God are in your head. And God Himself; as it were, outside of you." The mind must come to concord with the heart, the inner center of each person, aplace as mysterious and unknown to others as God is. By using the bodily organ, the heart, the believer pays attention to th heart beat and draws the mind to the heart, the center of one's bveing. it is within the heart of each person, that mysterious center, that God and only God comes and meets us. By meeting God in the heart, the believer comes to enter the invisible world and comes to God, as Gregory of Nyssa writes, in the midst of divine darkness which is the unknowablity of God.

The ideal is to achieve a state in which the believer prays day and night awake and asleep with the beat of the heart and thereby fulfilling the command to "pray without ceasing." The spiritual direction of the hesychasts is contained in a book call the Philokalis. An introduction to this prayer is found the charming anonymous account of a Russian pilgrim of the 19th century, The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way.

#65827 12/17/00 07:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question:
When reciting the Jesus Prayer, should the last part of the prayer be recited "the sinner" or "a sinner"? Does anyone think there is a difference? When pronounced in the Arabic the definite article is used(the sinner). Anyone care to reply?

#65828 12/17/00 03:06 PM
F
Administrator
Administrator
F
Robert,

My Arabic is bad enough that I never really noticed what was said. In English I always use "a sinner." The use of "the sinner" seems to eliminate the possiblity that there are other sinners out there.

Edward, deacon and a sinner

#65829 12/17/00 11:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart
by E. Kadloubovsky, G.E.H. Palmer (Translator)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0571163939/qid=977096685/sr=1-1/002-6291455-1261621

You�ll love that book, brother

#65830 12/17/00 11:59 PM
T
T
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Robert,
How about this; "a" as meaning one of many, "the" greater than the rest and refering to the particular one that represents the rest. I'm just guessing and have seen both used. What is the difference?

#65831 12/19/00 06:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear FrDeaconEd & tibubut,
Thanks for your replys.
Tibubut hit the nail on the head. In the Arabic as well as in the Greek, there is strong emphasis on being the sinner. It is already a given there are other sinners in the world and the need to focus in conquering our very sins. The story of the Prodigal Son was not about the sins of others but our very own sins especially when we chose to exclude God from our lives.

"Save yourself and a hundred will be saved."

"I believe and I confess that thou art truly the Christ the Son of the living God who has come into the world to save sinners of whom I AM CHIEF..."

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.