The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (OEFNavyVet), 579 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
B
Dear Father Deacon,

But layfolk were praying in English LONG before that - and these prayers were well-known to anyone involved with Catholic culture in the New World. Thus, the GCU printed a Psalter in the 1920's - and used the Douai translation. I have a Greek Catholic children's prayerbook from the era that renders the small doxology as "Glory to the Father", and Bohoroditsa as "Birth Giver of God" - but everyone knew that "all Catholics" said "Glory BE to the Father" and "Mother of God", and these are the translations that made it into our Liturgy. Thus, long before the Second Vatican Council, texts like the Rosary prayers conditioned how early translations of our prayers and texts came to be - whether we used the same or different translations, you couldn't avoid the fact that Latin-Rite Catholics already had translations of many of the same sorts of texts.

Jeff

F
F
When the Latins come up with a poor translation of something or other (which is not surprising, since Latins tend to translate Greek from Latin instead of the original - i'm still recovering from the discovery that for the Syro-Malabar 1962 Eucharist they first translated the entire Syriac text into Latin, approved the Latin, and then translated the Latin back into Syriac!), we are not in the least obligated to copy their mistake ("per omnia saecula saeculorum" is an obvious case in point; there are others).

Fr. Serge

F
F
Try "Eucharist" - that is beyond question a Greek word! But to the wider issue, it is of course possible for a Greek word to "become" an English word (as Eucharist has done), and to be more-or-less anglicized into the bargain. This emphatically does not mean, however, that it ceases to be a Greek word. "Regime" is common enough in English - but it's still a French word (or in some contexts, an Italian word: you can tell by the meaning).

In case anyone is wondering, this also works in reverse - English words sometimes find themselves functioning in other languages, occasionally with meanings that seem unrelated (check out the origin of the Russian word вокзал, which in Russian means a train station). If this sort of thing amuses you, track the word "taxi" from Greek into several modern European languages, including English, and then back into Greek.

And so on.

Another question caught my eye:

So I ask again, is our primary point of reference regarding the "Rite" (Чинь, Διαταξις) what is given in the Ruthenian Recension, or as it is found in the 1950 Greek edition by Rome, or scholarly speculation that then becomes liturgical expression?

Both the Greek and the Slavonic are primary points of reference here, for texts and rubrics - and so are certain other editions of particular importance. Speculation is another matter; it may be interesting but it cannot be a primary point of reference!

Fr. Serge

A
A
Deacon Anthony,

I appreciate your posts, because you express far better than I can the concerns that I have about the new revised liturgy.

That said, I still see no reason why the Greek term "theotokos" had to be inserted into the English language translation of the Ruthenian Church's liturgy. Does this Greek word appear in the Slavonic version of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom?

God bless,
Todd

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Try "Eucharist" - that is beyond question a Greek word!
But it does not satisfy the criterion I specified. Even so, where does it occur, transliterated (like Anaphora and Theotokos), in an English version of the liturgy?

Both the Greek and the Slavonic are primary points of reference here, for texts and rubrics...
And when they are not in agreement? Again, I raise the questions in the context of Status of the Ruthenian Recension.

Dn. Anthony

ajk Offline
... we are not in the least obligated to copy their mistake ("per omnia saecula saeculorum" is an obvious case in point; there are others).

What's wrong with per omnia saecula saeculorum?

F
F
AJK asks:

In Latin, there is nothing wrong with it. But the usual Roman Catholic translation is either "world without end", which is sheer nonsense, or "forever and ever", which isn't much better. Translating a noun with an adverb surely requires a serious explanation.

Fr. Serge

ajk Offline
AJK asks:

In Latin, there is nothing wrong with it. But the usual Roman Catholic translation is either "world without end", which is sheer nonsense, ...

I thought that was of Anglican origin and was adopted as common English usage by Catholics. Consider this from a Collect in the 1549 BCP:

Through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with thee, and the holy ghost liveth and reigneth, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

Originally Posted by Apotheoun
Deacon Anthony,

I appreciate your posts, because you express far better than I can the concerns that I have about the new revised liturgy.

That said, I still see no reason why the Greek term "theotokos" had to be inserted into the English language translation of the Ruthenian Church's liturgy. Does this Greek word appear in the Slavonic version of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom?

God bless,
Todd

Todd, it does not, in either Old Rite or Nikonian Slavonic texts. It does not in any Ukrainian translations. I believe the first time it shows up specifically as Theotokos in a Slavic liturgical text is in a "Living Church" manuscript. And, as I mentioned previously, the arguably most competent translator of Old Rite texts into English decided to retain "Mother of God".

A
A
Originally Posted by Diak
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
Deacon Anthony,

God bless,
Todd

Todd, it does not, in either Old Rite or Nikonian Slavonic texts. It does not in any Ukrainian translations. I believe the first time it shows up specifically as Theotokos in a Slavic liturgical text is in a "Living Church" manuscript. And, as I mentioned previously, the arguably most competent translator of Old Rite texts into English decided to retain "Mother of God".
Thank you.

R
R
Don't we sing (for those that still use some Slavonic)

...Bo-ho-ro-di-ce Di-va, Ra-du-sja......

not....The-e-e-o-to-kos Di-va, Ra-du-sja.......

Sounds funny don't it?

I learned that Sts. Cyril & Methodius created a language based on Greek lettering for us Slavs to use. Nowhere have I read that they picked-and-choosed certain words for inclusion into the Liturgy.

As I've stated before, what is next, replacing Hospodi pomiluj with Kyrie laison, or Christos Voskrese with Kristos Anesti?!?

R
R
oops, missed a typo...

should be ra-duj sja (not ra-du-sja)

F
F
Since you ask, I have frequently heard "Kyrie Eleison" chanted at a Divine Liturgy which was otherwise entirely in Slavonic, and I have frequently heard "Khristos Anesti ... " sung with gusto and enjoyment at Pascha in an otherwise Church-Slavonic service. Nobody fainted from shock, or went away muttering about "hellenization".

And, to top it off, there is a lovely recording available in L'viv, I think from the Studites, of various pieces of liturgical music, including "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos" - which is the only piece sung on the entire CD in Greek!

Then again, do you really object to singing "Azios" at ordinations? Do you not know that our older Church-Slavonic liturgical books actually prescribe the chanting of "Kyrie eleison" at certain times?

Loyalty to one's own culture is a fine thing - but it should include an appreciation of the roots of that culture.

Fr. Serge

O
O
Can't contribute re responses etc in Slavonic - but as recently as last weekend I heard responses to petitions in DL that were made in French being answered by "Kyrie eleison ' and the chandelier was still in place afterwards.

I also know that when in Lourdes and we are using French for some Litanies and prayers , the response in the Litany is also ' Kyrie eleison '

The Liturgical books from Chevetogne [ peoples books and the Hieratikon ] also use 'Kyrie eleison' too

A
A
Since you ask, I have frequently heard "Kyrie Eleison" chanted at a Divine Liturgy which was otherwise entirely in Slavonic, and I have frequently heard "Khristos Anesti ... " sung with gusto and enjoyment at Pascha in an otherwise Church-Slavonic service. Nobody fainted from shock, or went away muttering about "hellenization".

And, to top it off, there is a lovely recording available in L'viv, I think from the Studites, of various pieces of liturgical music, including "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos" - which is the only piece sung on the entire CD in Greek!

Then again, do you really object to singing "Azios" at ordinations? Do you not know that our older Church-Slavonic liturgical books actually prescribe the chanting of "Kyrie eleison" at certain times?

Loyalty to one's own culture is a fine thing - but it should include an appreciation of the roots of that culture.

Fr. Serge

I remember listening to a recording of an excerpt of a Divine Liturgy at the Serbian Decani monastery, where on would normally expect OCS, and the opening litany was chanted in Greek but using the haunting and surprisingly modern-sounding Serbian chant.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.