The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 589 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Orthodox Pyrohy.
... then not even fix the first words of the Liturgy the people are supposed to hear (which, despite all the changes, you are still stuck with the improper "Reverend Father give the Blessing."

I don't expect any explanation from those that "are in the know."
Although it would be kind and loving to explain why with all the spirit of change the first line of the new liturgy couldn't even be fixed.

I presume that Fr. David is one of those in the know. One may not agree with his comments but he has been forthcoming with answers and discussion. He has discussed this point:

It is certainly true that despota means, literally, �Master.� ... The change of title for human beings serving in a particular role was deliberately changed, since �Master,� in English, is no longer the ordinary greeting for bishops or priests.

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...a&topic=0&Search=true#Post207105

Also on his website: http://www.davidpetras.com/page/response

I know he has said more on this but I can't find the posts.

Dn. Anthony

ajk Offline

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
I address my Bishop as Master, I am not sure about the argument that this has fallen away. When I see the Bishop I say, "Vladyka Blahoslovi" or Master Bless.
The issue is the Deacon saying "Master give the Blessing" HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BISHOP. It is the Deacon asking the priest, the sacramental presence of Christ to give the blessing....
Now do you get it?

ajk Offline
Now do you get it?

To whom (if anyone in particular) is this question addressed?

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
how do I say it.... using Master Bless is more than just a linguistics game. However it is another overlooked statement meant to carry a meaning of the Divine that is just reduced to the whims of a linguistics game. Like I stated above the deacon is asking the priest, the sacramental presence of Christ to give the blessing..

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
Now do you get it?

To whom (if anyone in particular) is this question addressed?

how do I say it....

I think my opinion is being confused as being the same as Fr. David's: our opinions differ. I have now found Fr. David's more detailed comments:

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...id&topic=0&Search=true#Post69851

I (quite some time later, May 2005) emailed him expressing my concerns:

Originally Posted by Deacon Anthony (private email)
That �Master� is an (antiquated?) address for young males and therefore should not be used can not really be an issue. The people are used to the term in addressing God/Christ, for instance in the �reader prayers,� �O Master forgive our transgressions...�, in the �mercy� Troparion �offer this supplication to You, our Master� at the very beginning of the anaphora, �With these blessed powers, O loving and kind Master,� and the Communion prayer �Remember me O Master.� I don�t think anyone would be taken aback by the deacon�s �Master give the blessing� (is this in fact the only �public� use of the term for the priest in the liturgy?). Most of the uses of master by the deacon are a quiet dialog with the priest (e.g. proskomedia). As a deacon, I feel that �Reverend Father� and worse �Most Reverend Bishop� is an unnecessary complication, a dreadful mouthful and a pain in the neck --- totally uncalled for wordiness. It is such a relief when (still kept even in the Passaic liturgikon) I can say �Master bless the warm water.� To me, Master is efficient, direct, and snappy: as it comes to us it applies equally well to bishop, priest, and God; and given its use for the latter, the former two should not have a problem with it being applied to them. [Also, it circumvents honorific titles that are inappropriate in the liturgy.]

I wonder too why the liturgy, especially the anaphora, uses it, along with Lord, as the exclusive address for God. Is the term Father purposely avoided in direct address, except for the unavoidable use in the doxologies? Is there a deference in not using it, even in the anaphora, so that we can climactically, say �Our Father�? If so, the use of �Reverend Father� has done the liturgy a great disservice.

To the above, Fr, David responded that he took exception to my term "disservice"; he further remarked (I use this with his permission):

Originally Posted by Fr. David (private email)
... the reason for "vladyko" in the Slavonic ( = Master) or "Despota" in Greek ( = Master) is because that is how those dignitaries were addressed in ordinary life. It is very unlikely that people today will suddenly start calling me "Master" instead of "Father." In regard to liturgical texts, the Byzantines tend to use the address "Father" for the first person of the Trinity for very solemn prayers, it has a kind of exclusivity because it is used in the prayer the Lord taught us, and it was at one time a part of the "disciplina arcana." [emphasis added]

What surprised me is that he agrees with my analysis about reserving the use of the direct address of "Father."* Why then should we use it in the translation so (seemingly) indiscriminately?

Dn. Anthony

* It should be noted that this does not hold for the Basil Anaphora.

Last edited by ajk; 05/29/07 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.