The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (OEFNavyVet), 579 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#237264 05/30/07 07:23 PM
Recluse Offline OP
OP Offline
In January 2007 Metropolitan Basil Schott, Archbishop of Pittsburgh promulgated a complete revision of the major Divine Liturgies (Chrysostom and Basil) of the Byzantine Catholic Church. These Revised Divine Liturgies now create for the first time formal liturgical distinctions between Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholics and both other Byzantine Catholics (Ukrainian, Romanian, Hungarian, Slovak, and etc.) as well as Eastern Orthodox Christians. Formally they shared the same original Church Slavonic service books. With this promulgation Metropolitan Basil (Schott) has the distinction of being the first Catholic bishop to win Vatican approval for the use of so-called "inclusive language" in liturgical texts (better known as gender neutral language). The changes also imitate some of the changes made to the Roman Catholic Mass after Vatican II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Catholic_Metropolitan_Church_of_Pittsburgh

B
B
It would be interesting to know who wrote this. I've heard the claim that we are "imitating the Roman Catholics" - and the supposed links were pretty vague. Can someone who believes this list those places in which you think it has occured in the new liturgical books?

Jeff

John
John
Originally Posted by ByzKat
It would be interesting to know who wrote this. I've heard the claim that we are "imitating the Roman Catholics" - and the supposed links were pretty vague. Can someone who believes this list those places in which you think it has occured in the new liturgical books?

Jeff
To call the current Pittsburgh liturgical reform �Latin� is a bit too vague. It appears to me that it is, more accurately, a revision based upon many of the liturgical principles espoused by many of the 1970�s post-Vatican II Latins. That is most definitely a mindset that the Vatican is trying to change, as we can see with the current effort to undo some of the damage done in the Latin Church �in the spirit of Vatican II� with the recent Vatican directives for authenticity in Liturgy.

But to give a general response to the question, Byzantine Liturgy is not designed for the faithful. Liturgy is not about the faithful. Liturgy is celebrated for God. It is meant to be pleasing to God. Catechesis at the Divine Liturgy comes not from hearing the prayers prayed but from participation in the Divine Light. This reform attempts to make the Liturgy more catechetical in nature which, however well-intended, in the end really only makes it all about man. Look at the example of the mandatory praying of many of the prayers aloud (for just one example). Supporters of the reform have posted that these prayers need to be prayed aloud for the people, thus taking the Liturgy and making it less about God and more about an instructive element for the people. That is not Byzantine. It�s really not good Latin liturgical theology, either. That is why the various attempts at this type of reform in Parma in the late 1980s and in Passaic about 10 years ago have never met with great acceptance from the clergy and faithful.

Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) hits this point very strongly in a speech from 1999:

�We Experienced That There God Dwells With Men�, by Cardinal Ratzinger (1999)

�What persuaded the envoys of the Russian Prince that the faith celebrated in the Orthodox liturgy was true was not a type of missionary argumentation whose elements appeared more enlightening to listeners than those of other religions. Rather, what struck them was the mystery as such, the mystery which, precisely by going beyond all discussion, caused the power of the truth to shine forth to the reason. Put in a different way, the Byzantine liturgy was not a way of teaching doctrine and was not intended to be. It was not a display of the Christian faith in a way acceptable or attractive to onlookers. What impressed onlookers about the liturgy was precisely its utter lack of an ulterior purpose, the fact that it was celebrated for God and not for spectators, that its sole intent was to be before God and for God "euarestos euprosdektos" (Romans 12:1; 15:16): pleasing and acceptable to God, as the sacrifice of Abel had been pleasing to God. Precisely this "disinterest" of standing before God and of looking toward Him was what caused a divine light to descend on what was happening and caused that divine light to be perceptible even to onlookers. We have, in this way, already reached a first important conclusion regarding the liturgy. To speak, as has been common since the 1950s, of a "missionary liturgy" is at the very least an ambiguous and problematic way of speaking. In many circles of liturgists, this has led, in a truly excessive way, to making the instructive element in the liturgy, the effort to make it understandable even for outsiders, the primary criterion of the liturgical form. The idea that the choice of liturgical forms must be made from the "pastoral" point of view suggests the presence of this same anthropocentric error. Thus the liturgy is celebrated entirely for men and women, it serves to transmit information--in so far as this is possible in view of the weariness which has entered the liturgy due to the rationalisms and banalities involved in this approach. In this view, the liturgy is an instrument for the construction of a community, a method of "socialization" among Christians. Where this is so, perhaps God is still spoken of, but God in reality has no role; it is a matter only of meeting people and their needs halfway and of making them contented. But precisely this approach ensures that no faith is fostered, for the faith has to do with God, and only where His nearness is made present, only where human aims are set aside in favor of the reverential respect due to Him, only there is born that credibility which prepares the way for faith.� (Eutopia Magazine, Catholic University of America, Vol. 3 No. 4: May/June 1999)
Those demanding change are the ones who ought to defend the change. Perhaps someone who supports the change can present us with a listing of the specific rubrical and textual changes and explain how each one brings us closer to the official Ruthenian Liturgical Books or other Byzantine Liturgical Books (Orthodox and/or Catholic) in a way that the 1964 translation (the �Red Book�) did not? I'd like to hear why they believe Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) is wrong and the reformers are right.

E
E
That Pope is one heavy thinker. Do any byzcath bishops teach as deeply? i like the point about how worship was for God, not onlookers. Boy! that really calls it like it is. why is the Pope saying one thing and this bishop Schott saying another? I take it that this bishop Schott is the one responsible for all this havoc? in this case, who are the onlookers for bishop Schott? and in what he is doing for God or for man? or "us?"
Eddie

F
F
Pace Cardinal Ratzinger, the Liturgy is not for the salvation of God, who has no need of our sacrifices, it is "for us and for our salvation," that Christ died on the Cross, and that we "commemorate" or "remember" this salvation in our worship. I think a false conclusion has been drawn from the Cardinal's meditation, that "Byzantine Liturgy is not designed for the faithful. Liturgy is not about the faithful." If this is true, the Liturgy is useless for both God and "men." John's approach would lead to a false obscurantism, in which the prayers designed to aid us to remember God's transcendent love for us are muffled. Of course, the Liturgy is meant for the faithful, so that the non-baptized and non-communicants were dismissed before the mystery.

Fr. David (bless),

I think you'd agree that Liturgy is for the people but should always be ABOUT God. If the Liturgy is focused on the people instead of on God, it becomes a therapy session or motivational speech in ritualized form.

Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Fr. David (bless),

I think you'd agree that Liturgy is for the people but should always be ABOUT God. If the Liturgy is focused on the people instead of on God, it becomes a therapy session or motivational speech in ritualized form.

It becomes a protestant worship service.

M.

I'd dare to say that even most protestant worship services are generally about God and not the people, except for the Unitarians and liberal wings of protestantism.

Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
I'd dare to say that even most protestant worship services are generally about God and not the people, except for the Unitarians and liberal wings of protestantism.

crazy

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Administrator
Perhaps someone who supports the change can present us with a listing of the specific rubrical and textual changes and explain how each one brings us closer to the official Ruthenian Liturgical Books or other Byzantine Liturgical Books (Orthodox and/or Catholic) in a way that the 1964 translation (the �Red Book�) did not?

This may allow two different answers. Apart from the abridgement of the 2007 liturgicon relative to the 1965 ("Red Book"), the extent of rubrical changes differs depending on whether the standard is that the Ruthenian Recension is followed or "other Byzantine Liturgical Books (Orthodox and/or Catholic)" are followed. Many of the numerous rubrical departures of the 2007 RDL from the Ruthenian Recension / Ordo would probably not be picked up by the people; many can be traced to the Rome 1950 Greek liturgicon. Hence my question, "what is the present status of the recension books."

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/237147/page/1#Post237147

Let me recall here too that the 1965 liturgicon is a faithful and complete translation of the liturgy in the "1942 Ruthenian Recension." Yes, it can be improved, it is not perfect. I find it bewildering, however, that since 1965 we have had this complete and nicely done English version of the Chrysostom Divine Liturgy -- the holy grail in a sense of our liturgical renewal -- and I, and I dare say most, have never experienced it. And just like the comment about Christianity itself, it seems one can not say that it has failed because one can not say it has actually been tried.

Dn. Anthony

Last edited by ajk; 06/01/07 01:09 AM.
S
S
Posted by AJK:
Let me recall here too that the 1965 liturgicon is a faithful and complete translation of the liturgy in the "1942 Ruthenian Recension." Yes, it can be improved, it is not perfect. I find it bewildering, however, that since 1965 we have had this complete and nicely done English version of the Chrysostom Divine Liturgy -- the holy grail in a sense of our liturgical renewal -- and I, and I dare say most, have never experienced it. And just like the comment about Christianity itself, it seems one can not say that it has failed because one can not say it has actually been tried.

Two parishes I know of in Ohio celebrate the Red Book and are very successful at it -- and it appears that no one is to know of their success. It's been told to me that, "we would lose half our people if the Red Book were enforced, because after all who would stay for an hour and ten minute Liturgy, especially the people in Pennsylvania."

Additionally, one priest from Europe told me the Red Book is near perfect, aside from a few changes that need to be made to the rubrics.

Why have we thrown out this translation? Why not 'fix' the music, but keep the translation?

Sad, sad, sad.

An hour and ten minutes?

You think thats tough? Us Syro-Malankarese and our Syriac and Malankara brethren sometimes "tough it out" three to four hours (not including Pesacha, Holy Friday, etc)

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I note that a Wiki user, unidentified except by IP, has deleted all but the first sentence of the quoted wikipedia text with the notation "(Deleted unsupported, inflammatory remarks on the revised divine liturgy.)"

Many years,

Neil

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 06/01/07 05:13 AM.

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
I note that a Wiki user, unidentified except by IP, has deleted all but the first sentence of the quoted wikipedia text with the notation "(Deleted unsupported, inflammatory remarks on the revised divine liturgy.)"

Many years,

Neil
Neil,

As you are probably aware, Wikipedia has been rocked by scandal and controversy as of late, including the removal of an editor when it was found that his credentials were bogus. Users can post material and at times it can be rather subjective. My guess is that the new editorial policy is tending to shy away from anything that can be controversial as far as new entries. Also, whoever posted the entry may not have had the proper credentials for the entry and it was removed by the editorial board.

Since their recent scandal, I tend to rely on them less and I take their entries with a grain of salt and check other sources.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
B
B
As a school librarian, I forbid my students to use Wikipedia as a source for research. Anyone can put anything on Wikipedia. It's not a reliable source. Stick with sources whose authority is verifiable and backed by reputable organizations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.