The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (OEFNavyVet), 579 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Felix
Originally Posted by Etnick
Monomakh,

I have no idea what your parish was using during that time or if you were even in the BCA then. I did not attend church at all until 2000! (That was my loss) Also, I did not mean to imply that I knew what was being used when you were eight years old. I was just joking about the Eight Years Old Rule - I don't think it has to be exactly when a person was eight. I do think the rule goes to a key issue though, people don't like change and cling to the past, sometimes when there is no need to.

Ok, I've just joined in on this thread. I was a cradle Byzantine Catholic until almost two years ago. I'm now Orthodox. You did not attend church at all until eight years ago? I almost want to say you are like a rookie policeman who has no opinion until he has some experience.

I never heard a Red Book Liturgy in the BCC, until I visited a parish that had some very traditional parishioners and a priest who really knew how to celebrate the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom the way it should be celebrated. They were the only one in town that did it the right way. How they got away with it, I'll never know. I just wonder how that parish is doing now!

Many have left for Orthodoxy, or have quit going altogether because what they have known and loved for years has been deemed unnecessary by a few who think they know what they are doing.

Continued prayers for the Ruthenian Greek Catholic church.

I agree, I have never seen a liturgy as you describe.

Visit an Orthodox parish and you will see how the Divine Liturgy is celebrated without revisions and abbreviations. wink

F
F
Originally Posted by Etnick
Visit an Orthodox parish and you will see how the Divine Liturgy is celebrated without revisions and abbreviations. wink

LOL, Etnick, don't make me laugh so hard! We both know that's far from the case in most Orthodox parishes. And aren't the Greeks using the "wrong" typicon? But I do appreciate your humor.

What parishes? Theres no inclusive language in the OCA, or any other Orthodox church I've attended. The official Greek translation has "Who for us men" in the creed.

Felix, I invite you to a ROCOR parish to see how the liturgy SHOULD be celebrated.

Alexandr

Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Felix, I invite you to a ROCOR parish to see how the liturgy SHOULD be celebrated.

Alexandr

Good luck with that Alex! wink Although the invitation was nice. biggrin

F
F
I am not going to comment on ROCOR parishes or about the state of the liturgy in Orthodox jurisdictions. Its not my church, although I have been to very many Orthodox services and almost half of my friends are Orthodox. But I don't think its appropriate for me to complain about the liturgy of a church not my own. I should have not said anything about the Orthodox Church to begin with.

Note - by "complain," I don't mean I have a negative opinion of the state of Orthodox services. What I mean is that I disagree with the statements of Alexander and Etnick and any elaboration as to my disagreement would be the equivalent of arguing about the liturgy of a church not my own.

J
J
John, the people you describe sound very similar to your group. After all, your group wants the liturgy your way based on personal taste.
That is totally false.

It is not �personal taste� to celebrate the Divine Liturgy according to the text and rubrics given in the official 1942 edition published at Rome. That is the problem with the reformers. They do not acknowledge that standards mean anything.

I think we both should submit to a reasonable change made by the hierarchs of our church, a church guided and filled by the Holy Spirit.
You are free to believe the reform is reasonable. Most disagree. And we have the right of appeal.

It is a real shame that you believe that those who exercise their legitimate right of petition to Rome for accurate translations and complete rubrics to be an "embarrassing fiasco".

ajk Offline
After all, your group wants the liturgy your way based on personal taste.

It is more than personal taste: there is the question of the Ruthenian Recension and its status . Legitimate questions have been raised and asked. They deserve definitive, authoritative answers as to their details.

I would ask us to end the name calling and focus on the merits ...

What are the merits of the RDL relative to the Recension and its 1965 translation? Other than obvious corrections, what was achieved by the RDL that was not available before?

... write to Rome about small changes to the liturgy that amount to personal taste ...

What constitutes small? Is not translating a word -- anthropous, men -- in the Creed, simply dropping it, "small" and therefore ok?

As to writing to Rome: The Pope is commemorated in our liturgy and is a proper authority as has been pointed out by both sides of the issue. Approval from Rome was obtained for the RDL. Why should Rome not be informed of reactions, pro and con? Rome also has, or should have, a prior and significant interest because of it being the authority for the promulgation of the Ruthenian Recension.

I really think we need to move on.

The question is, to what?

After all, your group wants the liturgy your way based on personal taste.

"Personal taste"? Metropolitan Andrey worked tirelessly on the restoration of the service books, even being resisted by a couple of his own latinized bishops to complete the Ordo. While he did not live to see the completion of the entire set, he did live to see the greatest work completed.

The American Byzantine Catholic Metropolia is NOT the only particular Church to use the books of the Ruthenian Rescension, and is certainly not the largest particular Church using this rescension. Patriarch Lubomyr approved the article of the entire Ukrainian Greek Catholic Synod which made the Ordo obligatory. I would not call the entire Synod and His Beatitude's decision a matter of "personal taste".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.