The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
isadoramurta7, Tridemist_Zoomer, FrAnthonyC, L.S. Predy, Mike Allo
6,049 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 589 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,419
Posts416,918
Members6,049
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
This was such a good and important post in another thread that I would like to start a separate thread.

As I stated in a couple of other posts, there are so many things besides inclusive language being tinkered with, revised, and reduced here.

Originally Posted by Administrator
Originally Posted by Deacon Tony quoting Father David
Bishop Emil Mihalik of Parma was the first to promulgate the reformed Liturgy - albeit it in a pastoral format. There was opposition from the other eparchies, and Bishop Emil�s promulgation had a rough road to follow. Bishop Andrew Pataki followed with another promulgation in 1986, again in a pastoral format, which was accepted by the Eparchy of Van Nuys, and then by the Eparch of Passaic in 1996, when Bishop Andrew was transferred there. I will return to these shortly. Finally, when Judson Procyk became Metropolitan in 1995, his desire was for the true reform that had been prepared for many generations. To this end, he established a Liturgy Commission that was charged with making a translation of our liturgical books that would fulfill the commission of our Church to be faithful to its tradition. This would be a true reform, because it would fulfill the gospel of our Lord as passed on through tradition, as the Decree on Eastern Churches said, �All members of the Eastern Churches should be firmly convinced that they can and ought always preserve their own legtimate liturgical rites and ways of life, and that changes are to be introduced only to forward their own organic development. They themselves are to carry our all these prescriptions with the greatest fidelity. (� 6)�
This has been discussed before but I will note again that there are many (including me) who hold that the promulgations in Parma in 1986, Passaic in 1996 and Van Nuys a few years ago were NOT promulgations of the Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension. Simply put, any promulgation that prohibits the full celebration of the Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension according to the official liturgical books published by Rome does not qualify as a promulgation of the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy! While there were certainly a few restorations, most of the changes were those borne of the 1970s Latin Reforms that we have already discussed. [And we see that the Pittsburgh Reform of 2007 actually prohibits the full celebration of the official Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension!]

Regarding the comments of Metropolitan Judson, he did not want a �true reform�. He simply wanted some uniformity across the Archdiocese.

Regarding the quote from the Liturgical Instruction, it ignores the prerequisites to such reform. The Instruction is quite clear in requiring full restoration BEFORE reform.

ajk Offline
Simply put, any promulgation that prohibits the full celebration of the Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension according to the official liturgical books published by Rome does not qualify as a promulgation of the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy!... [And we see that the Pittsburgh Reform of 2007 actually prohibits the full celebration of the official Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension!]

Is this so: a "promulgation" in this case as an English translation "that prohibits the full celebration of the Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension according to the official liturgical books published by Rome does not qualify as a promulgation of the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy!"?

Also, is it correct that: "the Pittsburgh Reform of 2007 actually prohibits the full celebration of the official Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension!" in English for the Metropolitan Church sui iuris of Pittsburgh?

John
John
Originally Posted by ajk
Is this so: a "promulgation" in this case as an English translation "that prohibits the full celebration of the Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension according to the official liturgical books published by Rome does not qualify as a promulgation of the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy!"?
The official Liturgical Books of the Ruthenian Recension are quite specific, as are the instructions that come with the "Ordo Celebrationis". The official Revised Liturgy books (the Chrysostom and Basil Liturgicons) are missing whole sections of the official Liturgies, and make purposeful changes to both rubrics and texts for what is included. The changes are so radical that I do not think one can consider it to be a promulgation of the official Ruthenian Divine Liturgy. This is probably why the Council of Hierarchs chose to call it the "Revised Divine Liturgy" and not the "Ruthenian Divine Liturgy".

There is some confusion on how the Liturgy must be celebrated if it is celebrated in Slavonic. I have had priests tell me that they were told by their bishop that the full recension could be taken in Slavonic. Other priests have told me that the rubrics of the Revised Divine Liturgy must be followed even when the Divine Liturgy was celebrated in Slavonic.

Originally Posted by ajk
Also, is it correct that: "the Pittsburgh Reform of 2007 actually prohibits the full celebration of the official Divine Liturgy of the Ruthenian recension!" in English for the Metropolitan Church sui iuris of Pittsburgh?
In English this is certainly true, as the 2007 Pittsburgh books do not contain the full recension and the official letter of promulgation specifically prohibits other books to be used. In Passaic, Bishop Pataki even went further to prohibit the praying of the litany (what was left of it) before the Lord's Prayer (but that was an oral prohibition and I am not sure he put it in writing).

As far as Slavonic, there are questions (see what I wrote just above). Several friends of mine who are priests and who have made inquiries have all gotten different answers (or no answer).

I suspect that when the appeal process is complete the Holy Father will guarantee the right of the people and clergy to the full Ruthenian recension, no matter what the language of celebration. That will probably take a few more years of work before becoming a reality.

Maybe one of our posters has access to some sort of official correspondence on this issue and can provide it for us?

F
F
Just by way of information: the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church also uses the "Ruthenian Recension" as a rule. The abbreviations authorized by the Synod of Hierarchs are facultative, not prescriptive. Thus there is no impediment whatever to the celebration of the complete Divine Liturgy - and in many places this is still the usual practice.

Fr. Serge

ajk Offline
This is probably why the Council of Hierarchs chose to call it the "Revised Divine Liturgy" and not the "Ruthenian Divine Liturgy".

I've just read yet again the Foreword and Decree of Promulgation in the 2006/7 Liturgicon. I have been trying to connect the dots between the Slavonic Recension (Rome, 1941 etc.) and the RDL, not realizing until now that perhaps there was no intention that such a connection must exist.

I had asked about the status of the Ruthenian Recension in Present status of the Ruthenian Recension. I presumed that it was still intended to be normative. As the Foreword and Decree of Promulgation indicate, however, this seems not to be intended. The RDL is:

1. from the Greek

2. compared with the Church Slavonic

3. compared with the 1965 English translation

4. rubrics founded on historical study of manuscripts and modern liturgical scholarship

5. authentic distinct Ruthenian practices are respected
[I take it that some must have been found wanting and therefore rejected]

6. pastoral prudence

Based on this (and one could add 7. innovative translations and parsings based on current scholarly opinions), the RDL is not formed as a modification of the Recension but a distinct version of the liturgy, neither Greek nor Slavonic/Ruthenian, but something of a recension in its own unique way (an American Recension?).

John
John
Whether the Metropolitan of Pittsburgh (in conjunction with the Council of Hierarchs) has the authority to revise the Divine Liturgy (or leave the Ruthenian Recension) is a very interesting question. Obviously, Metropolitan Basil has promulgated a Revised Divine Liturgy (in English), one that is demonstrably less accurate in rubrics and translation than the 1964 �Red Book�. But we see that Byzantine Catholics in Slovakia attempted something similar in the 1990s and that after appeal the approval from Rome was withdrawn, and (as reported in several places) replaced with an edition that was very faithful to the official Ruthenian recension. So it is fair to state that the issue is not yet resolved.

Let�s look at one of the canons:

Canon 40 � 1 - Hierarchs who preside over Churches sui iuris and all other hierarchs are to see most carefully to the faithful protection and accurate observance of their own rite, and not admit changes in it except by reason of its organic progress, keeping in mind, however, mutual goodwill and the unity of Christians.
It is demonstrably clear that the Council of Hierarchs failed to keep this canon.

1. The hierarchs did not �see most carefully to the faithful protection and accurate observance of their own rite�. [In fact, they made great changes and prohibited the "accurate observance".]

2. The hierarchs admitted changes are not accepted as �organic progress�, as no other Byzantine Catholic or Orthodox Church is also making such changes. [And we can note that the fact that they had to mandate most of the changes to get anyone to accept them is demonstrative that even in the Ruthenian Church they were not naturally developing.]

3. The hierarchs did not keep in mind the �mutually goodwill and the unity of Christians�. In fact, they rejected the books they hold common both with other Churches of the Ruthenian Recension (Catholic and Orthodox) and the larger Byzantine Church (Catholic and Orthodox).

It seems pretty clear that the Council of Hierarchs has not kept this cannon.

I suspect that the issue will not be resolved until the appeals come before the Holy Father and he issues a ruling.

John-

Perhaps I'm naive, but given the history of Slovak translation of the 1990's, our hierarchs (and the consultor(s) at the Oriental Congregation who reviewed Pittburgh's new translation) would certainly be on guard not to make the same mistakes.

F
F
Please note simply that the Administrator�s remarks are very tendentious. This is necessary for him in order to defend the right of a priest to celebrate the Divine Liturgy according to the 1941 Oriental Congregation Recension and the 1964 translation of the same. Since the Council of Hierarchs has promulgated a pastoral version of the same, he has to show that this promulgation was illegal. Thus, he makes statements which he says are obviously true, though they are, in reality, only his own opinions. But keep in mind his ultimate goal - to defend the right of a priest to celebrate the 1964 translation despite the promulgation of the Council of Hierarchs - though, of course, this applies only to parishes in the Metropolia of Pittsburgh.

Therefore,
1) an analogy is made with the Slovak translations of the 1990's. The situation is different, since the present process for review of liturgical texts was not yet in place. Rome did not approve the Slovak texts and then withdraw their approval, but on appeal, the Slovak texts were judged to be not in conformity with tradition. In the case of the Metropolia of Pittsburgh, the Canon Law of 1993 was followed. Rome did review the Pittsburgh texts, found them to be in conformity with authentic Ruthenian tradition and with their own principles as enunciated in Canon 40, � 1, and permitted the promulgation (Letter to the Council of Hierarchs, March 31, 2001, Prot. No. 99/2001), which was done in 2006. Therefore, for the Apostolic See of Rome to nullify the promulgation of 2006, it will have to rescind its own judgment, quite a different thing than in the Slovak case. I conclude from this:
a)John�s opinion that the promulgation violates Canon 40, � 1 is simply his opinion. The authorities think elsewise.
b) John�s statement that the bishops needed �to mandate most of the changes to get anyone (emphasis mine) to accept them is demonstrative that ... they were not naturally developing� is simply untrue. Certainly the vast majority of our priests/deacons have omitted certain litanies for over three generations, likewise the shortening of the antiphons - at least the 2007 translation restored more of the third antiphon, and there are the main shortenings from the 1964 translation. Note also that the elimination of certain litanies is widespread in the Orthodox Church, the main difference being that it is more difficult for them to edit their liturgical texts. Likewise, the recitation of presbyteral prayers audibly has been widespread since the 1970's. In response to John�s observations elsewhere, this is serious and serious in the Orthodox Church likewise - yes, maybe it is not mandated, but does it have to be �mandated� for it to be �serious� - the Ecumenical Patriarchate recommends it, the Greek Church recommends it (Holy Synod of the Church of Greece, Encyclical 2784). It think this is serious. I have attended many Orthodox Churches where the presbyteral prayers were read aloud. At St. Vladimir�s, the Liturgy from the time of the epistle was celebrated almost exactly as in our 2007 translation. There has been serious discussion of this question since the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries, long before the Western Church considered it.(cf. Taft�s footnotes 1 and 2 in his article �Was the Eucharistic Anaphora Recited Secretly or Aloud?, in �Worship Traditions in Armenia.� He even cites my article on this in the Eastern Churches Journal 8/2 (2002), �The Public Recitation of the Presbyteral Prayers.�) However, John�s thesis is that priests should have the right to celebrate the 1964 translation and John�s goal in all of this must be kept clearly in mind at all times.
c) John likewise seems to think - I say �seems� here because certainly he can call me on this and may modify my statement - that any deviation from the 1941 translation is contrary to tradition, and violates the policies of the Oriental Congregation (which, by the way, is the authority for the 1941 translation and hence, I would think, can modify it), even if the same dicastery has reviewed the 2007 translation and found it in conforrmity with its policies. This certainly boggles my mind, though it is understandable as a means to defend the right of a priest to celebrate using the 1964 translation
d) this may likewise explain why a principle is then enunciated, that a decision (i.e. the review of Rome issued in 2001) has no force unless it is public. This, of course, is simply a personal opinion, and, unfortunately, does not help the argument, since the Oriental Congregation approval of the 1964 translation is also not public.
e) as mentioned above, the big difficulty in an appeal is that it will require the Oriental Congregation to admit it was wrong in 2001, or, at least, partially wrong. John has, I think, made mention of Liturgiam Authenticam, promulgated shortly afterward. Perhaps that promulgation can be reviewed also.
f) the ultimate goal of making the liturgical world safe for the 1964 translation also explains why an almost literalist position, that only the full 1941 text, with no jot or title removed, must be the norm. That is the only way to combat the authority on this question. In the other thread, therefore, the pastoral promulgations of Bishop Mihalik in 1970 and Bishop Pataki in 1986 are also rejected, though others have praised the Mihalik promulgation as �facultative� and not �mandatory.� This is John�s �opinion,� my �opinion� is that the 1941 recension was the norm, and that it has been promulgated in a pastoral fashion, taking into consideration an �historical study of manuscripts and modern liturgical scholarship.�

My conclusion is that if you don�t like what the Council of Hierarchs promulgated in 2007, just say it and don�t try to nullify it on technicalities and private opinions. The bishops followed the process. Some have objected, ironically more because the translation is �too Eastern� than because it is �too Western!�

In regard to the Liturgy being �for God� and not �for us.,� from the other thread (A Letter to Rome in the Rough). Maybe this should be broken off there and here and a new thread started, but I would like to make one comment. Part of the problem is what we mean by �for God.� Certainly, we cannot do anything that adds to God�s glory, nor can we tell him what wondrous things he has done for us. We pray this to remind ourselves of the transcendence of God. This is what I, and I think Taft, means by �for us.� We enter the Liturgy and we leave �deified� and �transformed,� God does not change. Therefore, the Liturgy is for us. However, in another sense, in which God does not remain as the center of the Liturgy, but, instead, our own �being� becomes the center, then the statement that the Liturgy is �for God,� or �towards God,� or �points us to God,� and away from our own self-centeredness, is correct. I do not want to be critical of our Roman brothers in faith, but my experience is that often Western liturgies today engage in a kind of �consumer narcissism� in which the human reality becomes the center. Could this be a by-product of the priest facing the people? Not intended, certainly, and not necessary, but it may happen. I think the East has avoided this temptation, but that we are making a misjudgment if we think that this attitude is not very popular. Perhaps we are reacting against this. This is why so many who have come from the West react against any liturgical change, because they think it is leading us on the same road as the West. I hope, however, we keep our sense of balance - liturgy facing the people - no; the audible recitation of the anaphora - yes.

U
U

I guess the tradition of singing para-liturgical Eucharistic hymns contradicts respect for Ruthenian tradition, being replaced instead by Helenic tradition.

X.B.! B.B.!

Ung

M
OP Offline
M
Father David,

Christos Voskrese!

A very quick yes or no question.

Is the full 1964 translation and rubrics contained within allowed to be celebrated anywhere in the Byzantine Catholic Church of America today?

I would think not, yet every time I try to figure out the intent of the 2007 promulgation letter it turns out to be not what is intuitive in the letter.

Please clarify this point.

Thanks in advance.

Monomakh

F
F
It might be more conducive to intelligent and reasonably peaceful discussion to drop the attacks ad hominem.

Fr. Serge

A
A
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez

I guess the tradition of singing para-liturgical Eucharistic hymns contradicts respect for Ruthenian tradition, being replaced instead by Helenic tradition.

X.B.! B.B.!

Ung

Sarcasim works so well!

Actually, now that I have tried it myself, I realize it really does not.

U
U
No sarcasim, just pointing out an inconsistency in the promugation letter of the RDL.

Ung

Regardless of specific questions or opinions surrounding the text or music of the RDL, Fr. David is quite correct that the American Byzantine Catholic Metropolia sui iuris can indeed promulgate its own order of Divine Liturgy and submit it to Rome for approval, which has indeed been done. And this having been done, in both Latin and Eastern canon law a bishop is a "competent authority" to promulgate liturgical norms.

What has to be considered by every soul is a prayerfully and carefully discerned response to this reality considering all aspects - historical, spiritual, liturgical, and then considering all options for response before initiating that response. For some that may mean "sticking it out" with the current reality. For some it may mean another Greek Catholic Church sui iuris. And for some it may mean Orthodoxy outside of full Eucharistic communion with Rome.

This is the "source and summit" of our Christian lives and must be taken very seriously by all.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
It might be more conducive to intelligent and reasonably peaceful discussion to drop the attacks ad hominem.

Fr. Serge

Perhaps you should read the promulgation letter again before telling me that I am attacking people. It is a poorly written letter that states things in the intuitive sense that have turned out not to be so. I'm asking a simple question and it is directed to Father David because he is the only person from the liturgical commission who has come on this forum. My letters to Pittsburgh and Parma have not been answered so he is the only one who has answered anything and thus the reason that I am asking him. If anyone else who was on the liturgical commission wishes to respond to my question feel free. If any of the hierarchs of the BCA want to respond to my question, feel free. I don't see the point in asking them on this board when I have never seen any of them here.

I guess I'm also completely unaware that you are the moderator and judge of what is deemed 'intelligent and reasonably peaceful discussion' on this forum?

Monomakh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.