PA: Old Forge - 1

690_ico
690_img
Metro Area: Scranton - Wilkes-Barre - Hazleton (PA)
St Michael Greek Catholic (Ruthenian) Congregation
Historical Entry: Translated to Orthdoxy, Re-established, Relocated, Renamed
Formerly at:
512 Summer St
Old Forge
PA
18518-1334
USA
Rite: Byzantine
Church sui iuris: Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic
Latin Diocese: Scranton
Canonically: Latin
Ritually: Ruthenian

Sacramental Records Presumed to be at:
St Nicholas Byzantine Church
140 Church St
Old Forge
PA
18518-1334
USA
Ph: 570-457-3042
Fax: 570 457-1906

The congregation that translated to Orthodoxy continues to worship at present as St Michael Orthodox Church, a parish of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA)


Status & Location Changes:
Formed in: 1890 as Society of St Michael the Archangel
Renamed in: 1891 as St Michael Greek Catholic Congregation, meeting in private homes
Relocated in: 1892 to Summer St, Old Forge PA
Other Date: 1896, the congregation divides
Other Date: 1896, some translate to Orthodoxy, forming St Michael Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church
Other Date: 1896, those remaining subject to the Latin Ordinary of Scranton relocate to Church St, Old Forge PA
Renamed in: 1897, by the Catholic congregants, as St Nicholas Greek Catholic (Ruthenian) Church
For this church, this is entry 1
of 2
This Entry Last Updated: 01/31/2010
Latitude: 41.3761825
Longitude: -75.735881