Metro Area: Harrisburg (PA)
Gettysburg Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Mission
Historical Entry: Suppressed
St Francis Xavier (Latin) Church
22 W High St
Historical Location - Not A Mailing Address Or Active Location
Church sui iuris: Ukrainian Greek-Catholic
Apostolic Exarchate: US, Faithful of the Oriental Rites (Ukrainian)
Cemetery: This parish has a cemetery
Sacramental Records Presumed to be at:
St Francis Xavier Church
22 W High St
... In 1950 about fifty Ukrainian refugees came to Adams and York Counties. The Rev. Basil Sushko, a refugee himself, was appointed by the Most Reverend Constantine Bohachevsky, S.T.D., Bishop of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Diocese of the United States, to care for these people. Father Sushko, who resides in Baltimore, celebrates a Byzantine Rite Mass on the third Sunday of each month in St. Francis Xavier Church.
Centennial History, St Francis Xavier Church, Gettysburg PA, 1953
For the text quoted above, the interior photograph, and what information we have that this mission ever existed, we are indebted to Father Jon Sawicki, a priest of the Diocese of Harrisburg, a member of the pastoral staff at St Francis Xavier in Gettysburg, and a member of the Byzantine Forum community - where he posts as Fr Jon.
The interior photograph, from the Centennial History, depicts a Pontifical High Mass celebrated on 7 September 1953 by Bishop George L Leech, of blessed memory, then-Ordinary of the Diocese of Harrisburg, in honor of the parish centennial. The priest at the extreme right end of the first row of clergy seated in choir at the right front is believed to be Father Sushko, also of blessed memory.
Status & Location Changes:
Formed in: 1950, as a mission, to serve a Ukrainian refugee community
Suppressed in: 195X
This Entry Last Updated: 02/25/2011